Help for newbies and strugglers

Dentalfloss

Chrysalis mentioned adding more helpful content and I agree. Anything we can do to help newbies or seasoned quitters who are going through a rough patch would be appreciated. I hope we can all ban together and post a link, post, or quote etc... That struck a cord with us when we were struggling.

What do you say? Anyone else wanna join me in this task?

• Like 1

This is good advice. Come hear to rant, rave, cry, whine, throw fire darts with your eyes (or ice darts if preferred) and dont feel bad ~ we MUST release our feelings to be safe from the nicodemon ~ remember, he's tricky and the first opportunity to snag us back he will.

Writing down my reasons for quitting really helped me. When I romanced the cigarette after a couple of months it really helped to remind me how bad smoking was and how awful I felt physically as a smoker !

• Like 3

When you are craving and really want a cigarette: Yes you really want a cigarette. One cigarette that will end your craves. But remember, that one cigarette won't end your cravings forever, it will only relieve your craves for a few minutes. So yes, you want that one good cigarette but do you really want the 1000's that go with that one cigarette? Cigarettes don't travel alone. They come in packs...

This quote:  "If I have just one cigarette, I'll be back where I started. Where I started was desperately wishing I was where I am today." Looking at my own ticker and the tickers of other members. When mine hit 24 hours, I celebrated... when it hit 3 days, I celebrated... 

• Like 4

You tube videos of people dying from lung, throat cancer etc were what saved me without a doubt.

One video in particular was thanks tobacco you killed my mom, I think was the name but soo powerful, a son filmed his mam in the final stages when she as dying from emphysema, soo upsetting and I couldn't put my kids through what that poor man went through, breaks my heart every time I watch It

Brian lee curtis from whyquit, his awful death kept me quit too.

Seriously life is far too short don't shorten it even more x

• Like 2

I carried around a post it note in my wallet the first few months that said, "get to smoke vs. have to smoke."

I looked at it several times/day for a long time to remind myself that no one else is "getting to smoke" they are "having to."

For me, it was critical to understand the difference so I would stop feeling deprived.

I think the realisation that life will not suddenly stop just because I quit smoking, there is life after nicotine and a much better, healthier, richer life to be lived, its like living on the fence too scared to go left, too scared to go right, once you jump down, and you claim back who you are its amazing, I hold onto that thought each day now, I took back the control xx

• Like 1

A couple things that are really helpful to me:

I am giving up NOTHING.

The physical benefits I have noticed since quitting are very important in helping me stay quit. I keep those close to my heart and realize that they can all 

be taken from me - with just 1 puff.

• Like 1

You tube videos of people dying from lung, throat cancer etc were what saved me without a doubt.

One video in particular was thanks tobacco you killed my mom, I think was the name but soo powerful, a son filmed his mam in the final stages when she as dying from emphysema, soo upsetting and I couldn't put my kids through what that poor man went through, breaks my heart every time I watch It

Brian lee curtis from whyquit, his awful death kept me quit too.

Seriously life is far too short don't shorten it even more x

Good advice. Although I'm sure it would be very hard to watch, it might be a good image to have in your head.