Interior design types... please heed my call to arms :)

Still winning

SO

My mums a bit knackered so she has the lounge for a bedroom now, which leaves me an itty bitty dining room attached to my kitchen to make into my little sanctuary of crazy :)

I chose the colours of silver, cream and aubergine (Cadburys purple for the guys lol). And am working on it a bit at a time. Side tables and toy box have been shabbied (painted for the guys) and black stuff is being replaced with silver piece by piece. Artwork, cushions etc are to be anne stokes whose work is amazing!

But what to do with the oak unit that currently hides a ton of toys and houses the Tv and other boy gadget stuff which means I need a shedload of handsets?

Do I paint the whole thing cream?

Just paint the doors and drawers cream?

Leave the doors and drawers andpaint the bits around those?

Argh! I wish I were a millionnaire so someone came and did this stuff for me and I had a boat :)

10580093_10152621164865798_8639953565446

1554511_10152621164870798_1746695878835710489627_10152621165040798_721103885755310580237_10152621165055798_3816357887283

This unit

10600371_10152621164945798_4319121924502

I would first take off the groovy hardware (hinges and latches)

and soak in a solution to remove the black

or simply spray hardware gold or ?,  something not black.

Then I would Cream it all,

maybe different Creams on the base,  another on drawers ?

Use a Glossy gloss on the top,  makes it easier to clean.

Throw some Cream on your mirror frame ?

I dunno, this reply is sounding like a sex manual all of a sudden, Marti.  :P 

Digging the Aubergine (that's Eggplant to Colonists)

Have fun.

S

yep, Cream.

but, I think two shades of cream

a lighter one for the frame

and a darker one for the doors/drawers ?

Remember, paint is so forgiving...if you hate it, a paintbrush is always handy.

Oh gawd, if you do it the Creamy way and you hate it, I will feel so responsible !

I'll just have to jump in the Mississippi.

• Like 2

Love the room Marti.

Personally... I would paint the unit cream, and the doors purple, or vice versa, or the whole thing purple, and put some bling handles on it... I pained some furniture the sort of purple you have - it's a dulux and it's called 'purple pout' - I have a ton of it left too, if I could get it to you (I bought far too much) - this is what it looks like

image_zps9327621a.jpg

Edit to add - I see that you already painted your shelf purple, and it looks similar to the colour I mentioned, so you are probably a step ahead of me already, lol ;)

• Like 1

I'd actually do it cream because the room is a bit dark so it would lighten it and I'd add a purple table runner going over it length ways to blend it all in. Looks like a real cosy room xx good luck with whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be fab either way x

• Like 1

Hi, Marti-

I always find it difficult to picture things in my imagination so I fooled around abit and produced these 3 sketches. Tell me which one you like best and/or if you want a different color scheme and I will create a couple more images for you.

marti_dresser_1b.jpg
From August 30, 2014

marti_dresser_1a.jpg
From August 30, 2014

marti_dresser_1c.jpg
From August 30, 2014

marti_dresser_2a.jpg
From August 30, 2014
  • Like 3

Hi, Marti-

I always find it difficult to picture things in my imagination so I fooled around abit and produced these 3 sketches. Tell me which one you like best and/or if you want a different color scheme and I will create a couple more images for you.

marti_dresser_1b.jpgFrom August 30, 2014

marti_dresser_1a.jpgFrom August 30, 2014

marti_dresser_1c.jpgFrom August 30, 2014

marti_dresser_2a.jpgFrom August 30, 2014

That is awesome Chrys!

Yeah as there's no natural daylight more dark would be too much. It's because behind is a big kitchen extension but it means thatroom has no window. 

Chrys that's awesome what you did though!!  It shows me it'll look a garish no matter what I do though, hmmm. Back to the drawing board I think, maybe new furniture will be needed. 

Marti, you mentioned silvers running through your theme? Or I may have read it wrong.

Check out this colour for your TV cabinet, beautiful. Imagine that against the back drop of a white wall, the fab purples.

It's egg shell too so is hard wearing and not glossy.

http://www.farrow-ball.com/cornforth-white/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100228

Yes Sharon, I always had black wrought iron lights/clock etc but was swapping that for silvers and thinking silver motif on table tops etc. 

Hey Chrys, can you do your thing with the silver/gray from above?

Sure, I can do silver/gray. Which of your original photos shows those colors closest to the color you want? (I need to be able to pick up a "swatch".)

Cream. Definitely.

Then a bit of shabby work around the detail.

No desire to offend anyone - but there are no dark rooms. Just badly lit ones. Have a look at some task lighting - thats a nice piece of furniture.

Chrys - wow. cool stuff!

• Like 1

Cream. Definitely.

Then a bit of shabby work around the detail.

No desire to offend anyone - but there are no dark rooms. Just badly lit ones. Have a look at some task lighting - thats a nice piece of furniture.

Chrys - wow. cool stuff!

Task lighting?  

Is that like layered lighting which is where my thoughts were going?

yep  - lighting appropriate for the task you intend in the location that you need.

If the room is to be multi-functional - then you need multi-functional lighting. Relaxing and dim is great - unless you want to read the paper - in which case it is crap! :D