Why are we here

beacon

Today while leaving work in a funk I saw two smokers and had the typical half thought that they were lucky to get to smoke and I do not. However, my following thought came unprompted, which was, look at them; they do not care about themselves. How sad.

I thought about this board and how each of us is trying to better ourselves, to live a better life. For some members it is really hard but they struggle and struggle to succeed.

I am very proud of all of you. It is so easy not to do anything, to let things ride, to ignore. Instead we as a group have chosen to be better. We spend time here reinforcing , stock piling strength, to be better. And we have succeeded.

• Like 22

I thought about this board and how each of us is trying to better ourselves, to live a better life.

We're not "trying to" ... We Are!

Even those  who only manage to get in a day or three before relapsing ... that's  a day or three better than before.

:)

Easy Peasy

• Like 8

Some days stayin' alive hits a bit closer to home than you really want, heh heh. What I do have in my pocket today is some pretty strong stuff - being able to kick smoking makes the need to put down the jelly donuts a managable endeavor.

If we can kick cigarettes we can kick anything. That's what makes us proud to be us.

• Like 7

Great post, Beacon! And it's true...so many things that we couldn't do on our own--or couldn't maintain for very long--we can do and maintain by drawing on the strength of others. When you think about it, that's pretty amazing.  :victory:

• Like 2

Beacon this was wonderfully put.  I myself do not look at other people smoking and think to myself that they are lucky they get to smoke.  No, they are choosing to smoke, as we have the right to do as well.  But, we choose NOT to smoke.  Perhaps one day those people who are smoking will wake up and realize what they are doing to themselves as well.  Hopefully that day will be tomorrow; and if it isn't, then I pray to God they never fall prey to the detriment and health risks smoking can and will cause.

I'm glad that you changed your mind and thought about how unfortunate for them.  We are the lucky ones.  We are the ones who woke up already and realized that we were doing such harm to ourselves.  YAY US!

• Like 2

Sometimes you will feel jealous of those "getting" to smoke but thank God that period of our quits doesn't last too long & then we get to the point of Thank God I did quit & then shake your head in disbelief over those "gomers" still getting their fix. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

• Like 5

Aww Beacon, sounds like a bad day gave you a little perspective, thanks so much for sharing it. xx

I too feel sorry for smokers now. I feel eternally greatful to those who helped me educate myself and pointed us all in the right direction. Support is amazing here.

x

It's funny but one of the reasons that made me want to quit was that at work I was hanging out with smokers and I had nothing in common with them. They were nice people but they bored me. Now maybe because I am older than you Susana and Sarah but at 51 all my friends had quit long before one by one pretty much and I was one of the last people at the party.

Now since I am feeling good I can go out to the smoking area and say hi but I don't any more. It is too hot here to go outside ;)