Introduction: Back to patch after 2 1/2 months nicotine free

Julia

I have become increasingly depressed over the time that I have quit smoking (about 4 months except for a few days) and become nicotine free (2 1/2 months).  I spoke with my Dr. today and said that I might get some cigarettes after my appointment.  She suggested that I go back on patch. 

I still have some 21 mg patches so I cut one in half (so 10 1/2 mg) and put it on. 

My weight gain of 13 pounds and increasing depression and lack of motivation has demanded that some action be taken. It's better than smoking! 

Has anyone ever gone back to the patch after being nicotine free for a while? 

Welcome Julia, Congratulations on quitting. Depression or anxiety is pretty normal in the first months of quitting so I'm surprised that your Dr would recommend a step backwards instead of giving you a temporary med to help until you're farther along with your quit.

Reintroducing nicotine is only going to prolong the process, you'll still have to go through it in order to get past it. But were all proof that you can!

Stick close and take a look around at our various forums. Lots of good information about our addiction here 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't look at it that way.  Just looking for relief.  I am already on antidepressant Cymbalta.   Not sure what else could have prescribed.    One thing for sure- smoking again is worse! 

• Like 4

I have to agree with Jillar...

Putting nicotine back in your body has started the whole process again ...

We have lots of good information on the Main Discussion Smoking Board ....pinned with green 

Knowledge ....Understanding this addiction is your best weapon ....

Those members who come here daily join in ..are the ones most likely to succeed....

Congratulations on not smoking ...🐸

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Julia said:

I am already on antidepressant Cymbalta.   Not sure what else could have prescribed.   

That would be something for your Dr to answer. Especially if you stress to him that you don't want to go backwards with the NRTs. Shame on him really....

• Like 4

Hi Julia hoping this gets easier for you-

YES smoking is worse than anything and the process takes some time to get through and ridding yourself of nicotine is part of it.

Im no Dr (although I did stay in a Holiday Inn once) so I cant question your Docs thought process for suggesting the patch again

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Julie.  2 and 1/2 months quit is awesome.  I am shocked your doctor did not prescribe something to lift your mood.  He could have added a medication or changed your meds.  There are all different kinds of medications that work on different parts of the brain but help with depression.  I also had a hard time with depression in the beginning of my quit.  I can say it does improve further into your quit.  Stay close to the forum and keep yourself busy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Julia,

I am so sorry you are going thru this after 2 1/2 months with your quit.  I am only in 11 days, I am using a NRT, lozenges.  I thought these would do better than the patch, it felt I might have more control over my step down.  I have already started and find I can go 4 or 5 hours.  What I am doing is putting the lozenge in my mouth, setting the kitchen timer of 2 minutes and then I take it out and put it on a saucer.  When I get anxious  couple to few hours later, repeat the procedure.  I feel this is working pretty good for me so far.  I do get very agitated at times.  I suffer from depression anyway so was already on medication. I do not know your situation but if you are new to antidepressants if can take a few times (different medications that agree and work for you) you might just need a different med or adjustment in dosage.  I will say I have encountered kick back from my insurance carrier because they don't want to keep paying for different meds till you find the right one.  I am sorry but sounds like the Doc does not want to battle them to help you find the right med. It also sounds like the patch might not be the right NRT for you.  Keep researching, if you feel the Doc is not paying attention or does not want to help, you may have to fight the insurance or consider changing Docs.

It is like non-smokers have no idea how painful and difficult it is for us to quit.

That angers me most of all.  Don't judge us when you have no f........... idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Exercise is a great natural mood booster.  It doesn't need to be an intense workout, could just be a brisk walk-around.  Anything that gets your heart rate up.

Exercise is also a great way to deal with unwanted weight gain.

Two birds, one stone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Julia,

I am so sorry you are going thru this after 2 1/2 months with your quit.  I am only in 11 days, I am using a NRT, lozenges.  I thought these would do better than the patch, it felt I might have more control over my step down.  I have already started and find I can go 4 or 5 hours.  What I am doing is putting the lozenge in my mouth, setting the kitchen timer of 2 minutes and then I take it out and put it on a saucer.  When I get anxious  couple to few hours later, repeat the procedure.  I feel this is working pretty good for me so far.  I do get very agitated at times.  I suffer from depression anyway so was already on medication. I do not know your situation but if you are new to antidepressants if can take a few times (different medications that agree and work for you) you might just need a different med or adjustment in dosage.  I will say I have encountered kick back from my insurance carrier because they don't want to keep paying for different meds till you find the right one.  I am sorry but sounds like the Doc does not want to battle them to help you find the right med. It also sounds like the patch might not be the right NRT for you.  Keep researching, if you feel the Doc is not paying attention or does not want to help, you may have to fight the insurance or consider changing Docs.

It is like non-smokers have no idea how painful and difficult it is for us to quit.

That angers me most of all.  Don't judge us when you have no f........... idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1