Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Those Darned Novels Where the Hero Smokes!!!! :/

Featured Replies

I've been reading a series of murder mystery novels by Faye Kellerman. Great series, very intriguing. In the beginning, our hero (Peter Decker, Sergeant, LAPD) smoked like a chimney. In the second or third novel--after he marries the perfect love of his life--he quits.

 

But not so fast! Every time it's crunch time and he hits a peak tension moment, someone offers him a cigarette. Does he refuse? No he does not! And now I want to smoke again. What's with this? 

 

I hate to say it, but I actually had the thought that I'd just cave in and go and get cigarettes. Crazy. I've been quit more than a year and three months now.  It's possible that I'd have acted on my impulse, except for Quittrain and people like Doreen (et al) who stick with the forum and show us what the possibility is, that a person can quit and stay quit for years, no matter the provocation. 

 

Sigh. I really want to smoke. I may have to quit reading this series of novels if I'm to be affected so strongly every time Pete craves for and caves to a cigarette.

 

image.png.73752ad9999f826216a583fae9399d7c.png

Edited by Kate18

STOP READING THE SERIES! Geez, just by that one paragraph I would think the book was about smoking and not crime 😠

Why that adds anything to the plot is beyond me but if you're having craves that big over it then find another series to read. The most important thing is your quit and keeping it🤗

Edited by jillar

  • Author
Just now, jillar said:

STOP READING THE SERIES! Geez, just by that one paragraph I would think the book was about smoking and not crime 😠

Why that adds anything to the plot is beyond me but if you're having craves that big over it then find another series to read!

As crazy as it sounds--to stop reading a good story series because of smoking--I think I may have to. Smoking is just too interwoven into the plot with the hero's peak stress moments. It would be one thing if he repeatedly combatted his desire, but he doesn't. He gives in. What a terrible example!  

Thanks for your feedback, Jillar.

Find a new series to read. That would drive me batty. 

That crazy. I wonder if she smokes and if she does if she ever tried to quit or did quit. Yeah I would have to stop reading her at least at this point in my quit. 

  • Author
5 minutes ago, Dianne said:

That crazy. I wonder if she smokes and if she does if she ever tried to quit or did quit. Yeah I would have to stop reading her at least at this point in my quit. 

The woman the hero or protagonist marries in the first or second novel doesn't smoke. Just him.

Too bad, because the novels are engrossing. Each one is very different and interesting. I just don't like the occasional triggers of craving they cause.

@Kate18 just read the romance novels.  The sex scenes are much better.  Even at my age, I get really hot and turned on reading the author's description of the sex scene.    

Edited by Mee

  • Author
5 minutes ago, Mee said:

@Kate18 just read the romance novels.  The sex scenes are much better.  Even at my age, I get really hot and turned on reading the author's description of the sex scene.    

"Smoking" of a different kind.

:) 

.

Edited by BKP

I'm always a bit suspicious of books and movies that place a heavy emphasis on a character smoking.  I smoked tens-of-thousands of cigarettes in my life and nothing of particular interest ever happened while I was getting my fix.  If I were to write the story of my life, I don't think any of the times I stood outside and toked on a cigarette would be worthy of a mention.

 

17 hours ago, Kate18 said:

"Smoking" of a different kind.

:) 

 

 

Kate ...

If something in your life is not good for you bin it ...

I bet it never went into detail of a smoking related illness ...

I'm so happy you thought of me ...and what smoking  has done to my life ...that in its self would be a scarey novel ..

I agree with all the other peeps ..read something light hearted ...

Oh yes a good sexy book ...if you find a good one ...pass it on lol...

You have a fantastic quit ...don't let some stupid fiction taken it way ...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.