Crazy thinking

Linda

Today  I have been thinking about how many times I have tried to quit and did not make it.Made it almost a month the time and blew it again!!! I have smoked for so many  years and I know a lot have damage has already been done. So then the addict thinking kicks in and says what's the point now. I'm 68 years old. What the hell

• Sad 4

Linda ...

It's never too late to quit ....I smoked 52 years ....

If I can quit ,so can you ...I'm not a special snowflake...

I was facing amputation when I arrived here ....quitting reversed this ....

Your body starts to heal the minute you stop smoking ...

Only you can can do this ...

We can give you all the tools ,all the support ,but the work is down to you ....

Are you really ready to give up on yourself ....

I'm here to tell you ..I feel better than I did 20 years ago...you can too.....

• Like 6

Linda --- It is never too late to quit.  I thought the same thing (over and  over) and even relegated myself to an earlier death due to smoking and figuring the worst had been done so why quit?  Anyway I did quit and it is true you start to heal the first day and it only gets better.  I smoked for over 45 years.  I was not able to breath well and diagnosed with COPD and High Blood Pressure before I quit smoking. I can still feel the damage now but I breathe so much better, I walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles per day, and my BP meds have been reduced so yes you can heal and you can and will feel so much better and my Doctor states I have added years to my life.   Each and every day I remember how it was and see how it is now -- that is all  the motivation I need at this time to continue this quit.  Look to the positives of quitting, you will never regret it in the long run.  Keep strong!!!!!

Edited by Martian5
  • Like 5

That's the addict talking Linda, the real you wants to stay quit that's why you posted. So be the real you!! It's not always going to be this hard, I promise. Have you tried my JAC ( jillars air cigarette)? Just pretend you're holding the real thing and then go through the motions of "smoking" it. It did wonders at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Some people use cut straws, pens, even licorice sticks 😊

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jillar said:

That's the addict talking Linda, the real you wants to stay quit that's why you posted. So be the real you!! It's not always going to be this hard, I promise. Have you tried my JAC ( jillars air cigarette)? Just pretend you're holding the real thing and then go through the motions of "smoking" it. It did wonders at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Some people use cut straws, pens, even licorice sticks 😊

I have probably are 10 pounds of licorice lol

• Like 3

C'mon Linda, you can conquer this addiction. The benefits of being a non smoker truly outweigh the tragic health decline of a regular smoker. Just take one hour at a time if you have to but don't give the evil nicotine monster the satisfaction. You are a strong person who deserves a happier and healthier life.

• Like 3

Linda!  You can do this.  I smoked for 42 years and quit at the age of 63.  I just had my 2 year anniversary.  I never thought I had the fortitude to quit.  I tried hypnosis, patches, gum, and a smoking cessaction clinic at the Cleveland Clinic and nothing worked.  I found the best guidance and support here.  I have been following your quit and felt an odd feeling of familiarity.  Of course, I have the same name, Linda and I live south of you, in Ohio.   That voice telling you that you are already damaged is just the addiction talking.  As smokers we are so ashamed because we feel powerless and our self esteem is so low.  From the minute you quit, your body will start to repair and heal.  I tried to imagine that during my quit journey.  I hope you never give up trying.  Freedom is just around the corner and it is possible for all smokers.  Come on girl!  Get back on that train.  We are here for you!!!!!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Linda said:

Today  I have been thinking about how many times I have tried to quit and did not make it.Made it almost a month the time and blew it again!!! I have smoked for so many  years and I know a lot have damage has already been done. So then the addict thinking kicks in and says what's the point now. I'm 68 years old. What the hell

The point is having control over your life and control over your addiction.

The point is discovering reserves of self esteem and self respect.

The point is finding you are able to trust yourself not to poison and kill yourself.

The point is not suffering with nicotine withdrawals every twenty minutes, every day as a smoker.

You must choose. 

The discomfort you are in is  caused by addiction to nicotine. This will be eliminated when nicotine is no longer a part of your life and your body begins its healing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mee said:

Linda!  You can do this.  I smoked for 42 years and quit at the age of 63.  I just had my 2 year anniversary.  I never thought I had the fortitude to quit.  I tried hypnosis, patches, gum, and a smoking cessaction clinic at the Cleveland Clinic and nothing worked.  I found the best guidance and support here.  I have been following your quit and felt an odd feeling of familiarity.  Of course, I have the same name, Linda and I live south of you, in Ohio.   That voice telling you that you are already damaged is just the addiction talking.  As smokers we are so ashamed because we feel powerless and our self esteem is so low.  From the minute you quit, your body will start to repair and heal.  I tried to imagine that during my quit journey.  I hope you never give up trying.  Freedom is just around the corner and it is possible for all smokers.  Come on girl!  Get back on that train.  We are here for you!!!!!

Thanks for  for the encouragement and support. Congratulations on  your quit. Nice to know we are kinda begins lol

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Linda said:

Your body begins the healing process the moment you quit smoking.  There are no guarantees but you can improve your odds by taking positive action.

If you're stuck in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.

13 hours ago, Sazerac said:

The point is having control over your life and control over your addiction.

The point is discovering reserves of self esteem and self respect.

The point is finding you are able to trust yourself not to poison and kill yourself.

Yep.  Life's just better without cigarettes.

• Like 3