Quitting tomorrow

mightyboosh

Glad you're still on board mightyboosh! It's great to have that one important reason to quit. Keep it close to you as you navigate the early days of your quit. which is when you'll be challenged most often. You are doing great :) 

• Like 4

Just got home from work and it went very well. I've felt tired which surprised me as I would have thought I'd be full of beans. Maybe it's just a coincidence and I've been tired for another reason. 

It's weird how it just clicked with me after seeing the vascular nurse on the 22nd. I'm sure all of us have always been fully aware of the damage caused but carried on smoking nonetheless until we saw our individual 'light.'

It's going good and I haven't had any mega cravings so far.

• Like 6

There is NO craving that is too big to defeat, when you are committed to NOPE! There's tough ones for sure but YOU are always completely in control and therefore only you can determine the outcome here. We have all faced adversity in our quits and have dug deep to defeat them so take heart ..... quitting is totally doable :) 

• Like 7

We have been putting poison in our bodies 20 times a day for decades....

It's no wonder are poor bodies go hay wire....for a while ....we are all different ,and the healing process is different to each person too...

This is why the one day at a time is so important.....it can change from day to day ....

Your doing great .....

• Like 7

Feeling very tired was a surprise to me also, kind of caught me of guard but I used to my advantage.  You are spot on about seeing "our individual light.  The same thing happened to me and what my nurse and doctor  were saying finally hit home -- took me too many years to see but I finally did see and things are better now. Keep strong!!!!

• Like 5

A lot of what you are going through is normal.  There will be some weird feelings like this but that is your body adjusting to life without the poison of nicotine.  You will start to see a lot of improvements to your overall health as time goes on.

You are doing a great thing.  Keep up the awesome work.

• Like 6

Congratulations on your quit, mightyboosh.

Soon, most all the nicotine will be gone from your body.

The exhaustion doesn't last long and not everyone experiences tiredness.

It is good you are communicating what you are experiencing,

this helps us know where you're at and is also a road map for other quitters.

Keep a close eye on your blood sugar and drink a good pure fruit juice (one w/out corn syrup or other added sugars).

If you start to feel tired and hazy for a while, don't worry it will pass, it is just

The Great Smoke Free Mental Fog

and be sure to reward yourself for every crave or trigger you conquer.

You will never/ever have to go through this again.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mightyboosh said:

How do I put the banner saying how long I've quit/money saved at the foot of my posts?

I will PM you the instruction for how to get a ticker. It's a great way to follow cigs not smoked and $$ saved :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

Day 3 and I'm still OK. I think because I've seen the light re: my circulation, it's making it easier than if I just 'wanted' to give up, 

Can you write a little smaller, I can still see it 😄😄😄 Seriously though, congrats on three days Phil. You're halfway through that hard week we call hell week.  Keep on hanging tough, you can succeed :)

• Like 4

Well, day 4 now and still going good. I had to chuckle last night after posting about the banner. After posting I thought, "Time for a cig now." That wasn't a craving, it was just a habit thing after spending some time on the laptop.

The habit side of this is very powerful, like all addictions I suppose.

• Like 6

Huge congratulations, mightyboosh, on blowing through the first three days, and if you're already chuckling about smoking thoughts you're way ahead of the game.  So glad it just "clicked" for you and you knew it was time -- that knowledge and determination will carry you through.  Keep up the great work and good humor!   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

Well, day 4 now and still going good. I had to chuckle last night after posting about the banner. After posting I thought, "Time for a cig now." That wasn't a craving, it was just a habit thing after spending some time on the laptop.

The habit side of this is very powerful, like all addictions I suppose.

Now, you start to confront all your triggers.

Your brain's reward system has been gangstered by nicotine and you will resume control one nicotinic acetylcholine receptor at a time.

How Nicotine Works (there are a bunch of good videos embedded in this thread)

Your Brain Beating A Crave 

and

The Significance of Rewards (it is very important to reward yourself for every crave conquered ! )

This quitting smoking business is a journey with unexpected rewards and delights.

As you learn and understand about nicotine addiction, you will have the tools you need to succeed.

Congratulations @mightyboosh, you quit smoking !

It is great to see your NOPE !

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mightyboosh said:

Just look at how much I've saved already in my ticker - £13.86. That must be a brand new World currency created just for me. I'm honoured. It looks like a fortune don't you think?

Yes, it does Phil lol. And yes, the habit is much harder to overcome than the actual addiction in my opinion. There's just so many times over the course of so many years that it was 'time for  cigarette'. That's why we have the one year commitment. It's a pledge to yourself that you will stay on the board for one full year minimum to get you past most of the triggers you'll face on a regular basis. I took it and many, many others have to. It's pinned to the top of the main forum if you want to check it out :)

• Like 3

I've got a tin of small but very strong liquorice tablets called nippits.  I used them the first time I gave up. The problem is that they say liquorice raises blood pressure and I'm already on medication for that. Anyone know more about this subject?

• Like 2

Quitting smoking should lower your blood pressure some. Have yourself checked once you've been off the smokes for a while. For some reason, I used small mint candies, little peppermint things that looked about the size of a headache tablet. Filled with sugar they were but they kept my mouth busy. I quit using those a few months in and haven't had one since. It was weird because I never really liked peppermint candies before.

• Like 3

maybe switch to peppermints ?  

Here is what I found from The British Heart Foundation

"Could eating liquorice affect my blood pressure?

BHF dietitian Victoria Taylor says:

Black liquorice is one of those ‘love it or hate it’ foods.

It’s available as soft and hard sweets, and liquorice root is found in some herbal teas, including chai and spice infusions and so-called detox teas.

Liquorice sweets that come dusted (or even crusted) in salt are obviously not the best choice for your heart,

but it’s generally safe to eat a small amount of liquorice every now and then.

However, large and even moderate amounts of black liquorice (57g or around 2oz) can have negative physical effects when eaten daily,

especially if you are aged over 40 and have a history of cardiovascular disease or high blood pressure.

Large amounts of liquorice can have negative effects when eaten daily

The adverse effects are due to glycyrrhizin, a compound found in liquorice root

that is between 30 and 50 times sweeter than sugar

and can alter your body’s levels of potassium and sodium, which help regulate body fluid.

Too much glycyrrhizin can therefore lead to problems such as raised blood pressure,

fluid retention, muscle weakness and heart rhythm abnormalities(arrhythmia).

The good news is that if liquorice has this effect on you, the changes are not normally permanent.

Stop consuming liquorice and your levels of sodium, potassium and fluid should return to normal.

However, if you have experienced any symptoms that may be triggered by liquorice,

it’s important to let your doctor know, so he or she can make sure there is no other possible cause."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

Just look at how much I've saved already in my ticker - £13.86. That must be a brand new World currency created just for me. I'm honoured. It looks like a fortune don't you think? 😉

There's an issue using the pounds money symbol. It adds those wacky symbols in front of the money amount for some reason. For now, you could just redo the ticker in your signature (delete the one you have now and redo it) and use the $ or the Euro symbol instead. Those two work and you'll know it's pounds you are saving. I see Doreen's ticker shows $ and she's in England.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

maybe switch to peppermints ?  

Yeah, I'll find some really strong ones. The Nipits I mentioned are really tiny, a fraction of a gram each, so one three or four a day should be ok. It will only be for a limited time anyway.

• Like 2