Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Soberjulie

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Soberjulie

  1. Joe, I've thought of you and your sister often since you shared her story/your story. ((((Hugs)))) Guests: we welcome with open arms
  2. There are lurkers and newbies who need this! Ok. Truth. I think I'm doing it wrong and need to study the video again. But my request isn't completely selfish. There ARE newbies and lurkers.......;)
  3. Rob, please check in with Rez. I think he may be able to find a special job for you at the QT newspaper. You have skills that should not be wasted.
  4. Sooz!!! Look at you!! Strut that quit, you look amazing!!
  5. Petra.....I'm just so glad there are people like you to lead the way for people like me. Thank you :)
  6. Alrighty!! I actually did something besides the NTAP today! I worked hard cleaning my yard! I shoveled and raked and lifted and hauled. For the better part of 3hrs! Hello jacuzzi tub tonight!
  7. Oh :( I have the same friend. Same story. Only she died last year and her name was Christie. And I miss her. :(
  8. Today's reward: I put my fancy schmancy rubber boots on and cleaned up the backyard. Took yard waste to the compost center. Then went to a local, family owned hot-dog joint that hasn't changed since it opened in 1950. Treated myself to a footlong hotdog and French fries. Ate it in the truck because it's kinda like an old school A&W without the waitresses. :) Sun was shining, window rolled down, Bob Seger blaring in the cd player, and coca-cola from a glass bottle. Today it felt like: "Ahhhh. This is the life!"
  9. I remember reading somewhere about the average length of a crave (is it 3 minutes or something like that?) So during that first week or so, I used the timer on my iphone to actually time my crave. About 30-40 seconds into it I would notice that it wasn't as intense physically as it was psychologically .....and I felt I had more control over the psychological factor than I had ever given myself credit for :) So when a crave hit, I would begin immediately employing the simple tools I had learned here. Deep breathing, glass of water, and get up and move. Sitting still just enabled me to feed the craving whereas moving and forcing my thoughts elsewhere seemed to starve the crave :)
  10. This is so true!! I have teetered back and forth with about 5lbs in my quit.....nothing significant. All my clothes still fit the same. And it was the single biggest excuse I used for not quitting. I was terrified I would gain weight....and that I wouldn't have the dedication and willingness to lose it. Somehow, quitting smoking has just naturally made my mind a little more open to healthy living thoughts. I'm slowly putting some of them into action :)
  11. Soberjulie replied to Jenny's topic in Off The Record
  12. Knitted Cottage in the country or condo in the city?
  13. Hard=outside your comfort zone, right? Outside your comfort zone us where the healing happens. Atta girl for getting our of your comfort zone :)
  14. It always helps me to look at smokers and say to myself "Poor things....they 'have' to smoke"
  15. From late May-October, I buy myself fresh flowers every week. :) I work in a Mennonite community and on my way home from work, there are always these cute little booths set up at the end of their laneways/farms......and the cute little Mennonite girls, looking like Laura and Mary Ingals from Little House on the Prairie are selling their goods :) I get huge bunches of flowers for 2$ Yup, you read that right. TWO DOLLARS. :)
  16. Lynn, thank you :) It really didnt occur to me that new triggers would arise for me, this, my first spring being a non-smoker :) I spent most of the day outside today, spring has finally sprung here too (Yay). I cleaned the yard and hubby and I took a truck full of yard waste to the compost center. I did feel as if I had more energy and I was more productive overall. As long as I kept moving. I think I need to learn to slow my pace a bit...... It used to be that I would tell myself "Finish this task, then you can have a cigarette" and I would rush through the task. I still rush through tasks as if there is a finish line........and move on from task to task that way. Slowing down would be good for me. :) And Im going to start something that may resemble gardening this year :)
  17. I have become a scentsy junkie. They are these little scented wax melty things......oh gosh, the scents are to die for. Hubby aint impressed. He like a house to smell like....well....just a plain old house. Pffffftttt
  18. Whaaaaaaaa??? I thought you had taken over the west wing of the basement??
  19. Advice column please. (No guarantees of 'good advice' unless it pertains to quitting smoking or other mind altering substances) Dibs on a corner office with a window. :)
  20. I showed hubby the side by side picture of himself and Bakon's avatar. He doesnt see the resemblance. (But he's in his 40's and in denial about his need for bifocals)
  21. We are walking with you.......many of us who are travelling this road too. There is strength in numbers. :)
  22. I hope you are lurking medic Craig. Congrats :)
  23. Thats right folks......its your first day of freedom!!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.