Everything posted by Reciprocity
-
Day Two relapse
I know you will find it difficult to believe what I am telling you now but I assure you, what you are describing is exactly where I was at a little over 4 short months ago. Foggy head, unable to function properly or focus on anything but the misery I was enduring day after day. Yet I continued on and refused to smoke when there was a voice in my head screaming out for relief from what I was feeling at that time. NOPE!! Not giving in. That's all it took. Gradually, it did get better. Almost unnoticed was the progression it happens so slowly but it did happen. Now - smoking??? Pffft!! Really?
-
Complete The Sentence
Drunkin elverie and as a result ...
-
Answer a question with a song title.
What West Coast USA Hotel Have you stayed at recently?
-
1 to 20,000 in pictures
- Game *The Food Game*
Noodles 'n Sauce ( :bad:)- disappointed in myself - day two and relapsed.....again
Yeah OK, I kind of understand the panic attack issue a little better now that you have explained what happened. And yes, "the craves" will be worse now because you smoked. That's why we say you are back to the start when you take even one puff. It wakes the addiction again and that addiction wants to be fed! Fight that until you can see your doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he/she will be able to come up with some suggestions to handle the added anxiety from quitting smoking. There is no other way around this issue than to just not smoke no matter what. If there are triggers that cause your panic attacks, you will have to avoid those while quitting smoking until you reprogram your brain not to immediately go to lighting up a smoke to relieve anxiety. It's possible to get there, it just takes a while :)- 3rd time's a charm
Hi Peace Train! (reminds me of my Cat Stevens days - lol) Looks like you have a decent quit going on there. In that this isn't your 1st time around the block, I assume you know what you are up against. You're correct in assuming the addict in you is making you feel miserable. It wants you to feed it. You know you can't feed it or you'll be right back where you were day one wishing you were where you are now. It's a battle with the addiction and the more you win the weaker that voice in your head gets. You say you don't know how much you will be with us here on the board. Do what you think is best but from my experience, I can tell you the more involved you are in communicating with others that are also quitting, the stronger your quit will become. Not only receiving advice but giving it out as well. There are others coming up right behind you. Mentoring them by communicating information you have gained in your quit not only helps them but reinforces it for you. It's a win, win! Just consider it at least.- Post a Song you Like
- chicks or sticks
- Non Smoking Cats
- Can We Have A Curse It Thread(With warnings) As sometimes I Just Wanna FFFFFFFFFFFF
I can't talk on the phone for more than 1 minute or my fukcing head explodes!!- chicks or sticks
- Day Two relapse
Let me just interject a little something here to for you new quitters. Think of the "pangs of withdrawal" as cutting your new teeth of freedom. That is to say, it may be unpleasant for the first little while but you are doing two wonderful things in the midst of all this misery you're feeling: 1. You are riding your body of not only nicotine but a lot of other toxins that you have ingested over a long period of time. It's no wonder your body is doing weird things temporarily. 2. Your are having to retrain your brain to function without cigarettes as part of your daily routine. You're currently on autopilot when it comes to lighting up. Stress at work or at home; light one up. Happy event, light one up. Time to relax, light one up. Sad thing happens, light one up. Meal finished, light one up and on, and on it goes. You now have to figure out how to mentally function day to day so you are not addressing all these things and more by pulling out a smoke and lighting it up. That's a lot of reprogramming going on there. No wonder you're jittery and anxious. It's hard work and takes a while to sort it all out and be comfortable with it all. Try and embrace the fact that you have started down the road a whole new way of functioning. This is the road to freedom that you want so badly. This is what needs to be done to get there and you are finally doing it! Don't fear it so much. Don't dwell on how horrible you feel. You're changing your life for the better and that's a good thing, a happy thing. These feelings of misery won't last that long. Live through them while they're with you because soon you will be in a new healthier world and you'll wonder what the hell all the fuss was about and my God, how could I have smoked like that for so long. It's not that far off if you just quit and stay quit. No puffs, no cigarettes; just quit!- Day Two relapse
I understand what you're saying but as you said yourself: "I guess I am lucky as I had the determination to get back on the quit and not fully relapse." Yes. Not sure I'd call it lucky. I think your case is a very unusual case though as most people in their very early quit who have "a slip" and smoke one or even just a few puffs, will immediately imprint smoking once again in their brain as being all the good and satisfying things they thought it was when they smoked regularly therefore, they will be even more likely to pick one up at the next slightest inclination. Repeat this action over a day or two and guess what? Back to three packs a day in no time = full relapse. I would bet that this scenario is by far more likely than your recent situation with the smoking of 6 on holiday. That's why we bang on here endlessly about NOPE. One puff leads to one cigarette which leads to the thousands that follow.- disappointed in myself - day two and relapsed.....again
NN, I'm wondering how things went when you took on your opiate addiction (think that is what you had before?) as beating that addiction must have generated additional stress & anxiety for you. At least I assume it would anyway. Was your panic attack issue triggered then? I don't know the difference between quitting that addiction as opposed to smoking but I have to believe they both generate stress. Hopefully your doctor appt. tomorrow can shed some light on an appropriate course of action for you, given your circumstances.- chicks or sticks
- disappointed in myself - day two and relapsed.....again
Review with your doctor tomorrow. The panic attacks add another layer of difficulty to your figuring out the right plan for your personal quit. There's really no way to avoid the anxiety that quitting smoking produces especially in the early days. Learning how to channel that anxiety without triggering panic attacks I guess is the question. Have the doc weigh in on that,. Also, as others said, make sure there's no smoking material handy - that's key.- stressful night.
You will get there Kenzie and paying it forward to others will strengthen your own quit as well :)- chicks or sticks
- Love Triangle
I nominate this for: "Post of The Year" ! Who's in charge of that around here?- Welcome To a New Life - Your Quit!
I just realized the other day that I no longer wake up each day thinking about smoking. That surprises me as that 1st one in the AM was always a focal point for getting the day started. Made me feel really good :)- Newbies Celebration Today!!
Since we don't have anything in particular to celebrate today (unless I missed something, which is always possible :rolleyes: ) I thought it would be a good time to give all our recent New Quiiters a BIG shout out for what they are doing. Taking back control of their lives, making the best decision for their health AND, saving a bunch of $$! There's certainly nothing bad in that list. We know it's not easy in fact, it can be down right miserable for a short while. Sure, time seems to be standing still during that early part of your quit but it's not. It's just your perception is all. You are learning how to live your life without cigarettes. That's a big change. Affects virtually every aspect of your day to day life - takes awhile to work all that out but, you'll get there. Just keep at it! Remember to commit NOPE at least to yourselves each and very day. It's important to start out each day with the proper mindset - Not One Puff Ever. That's all it takes!- Day Two relapse
I posted this up in another thread as well but thought I would say it again here: The number of people who relapse outweighs the number of people who don't relapse at least once I suspect. A few critical things to realize though: 1. Relapse isn't accidental. It's a choice you and only you make. 2. Understanding how crappy relapsing made you feel after the fact compared to how much you thought you needed that "just one" before the fact is critical! Keep that understanding fresh in your mind as you move forward so you can draw on it next time. 3. Having a better plan for your next quit. Think about what went wrong the last time. Know what was missing in that last quit and make sure you plan to have that missing ingredient in your pantry on your next quit. 4. Quit again as soon as you have pondered numbers 1,2 & 3! Never quit trying to quit. Read the posts on this or any other quit smoking board and you will see tons of people who now have multi-year quits going. Many of them too relapsed early on. Some multiple times but they learned from their mistakes, pulled themselves up and tried again until they achieved success. We can all do that. It's not something that is just reserved for "others". In the end, it's up to YOU!- First One of the Day
The number of people who relapse outweighs the number of people who don't relapse at least once I suspect. A few critical things to realize though: 1. Relapse isn't accidental. It's a choice you and only you make. 2. Understanding how crappy relapsing made you feel after the fact compared to how much you thought you needed that "just one" before the fact is critical! Keep that understanding fresh in your mind as you move forward so you can draw on it next time. 3. Having a better plan for your next quit. Think about what went wrong the last time. Know what was missing in that last quit and make sure you plan to have that missing ingredient in your pantry on your next quit. 4. Quit again as soon as you have pondered numbers 1,2 & 3! Never quit trying to quit. Read the posts on this or any other quit smoking board and you will see tons of people who now have multi-year quits going. Many of them too relapsed early on. Some multiple times but they learned from their mistakes, pulled themselves up and tried again until they achieved success. We can all do that. It's not something that is just reserved for "others". In the end, it's up to YOU!- Thursday
I think maybe I'll have just NONE today. - Game *The Food Game*
Important Information
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.