Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

sharonsiff

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sharonsiff

  1. Loved the summary points.... The computer has two principal functions: running automatic programmes and acting as a reference source for the human and the chimp. The computer is even faster than the chimp, four times faster and twenty times faster than the human. Oh my life, need to get my computer's gremlins removed! Both unhelpful and destructive and tis no wonder I am fatigued with a mind full of unhelpful thoughts. I used an example of difference between 'truths' and 'values' this morning to calmly settle a dispute between the girls. It really helped our Megan understand that although it was important to her, that Lucy stopped doing whatever, it was her value and not Lucy's. Really made headway using what I learnt in that sense today. I can also see, having two kids at once I have made a 'huge' mistake making life fair between them! As much as I've said time, and time again 'life is not fair' if I'm honest I can see my personal actions have not reflected the words I've used. Plenty to work on my end...gremlins? Then some..lol. ;)
  2. You're doing fabulous Amy xx
  3. Thinking of you both xx
  4. Evelyn, so sorry to hear you reached the point and smoked. Please listen to Julie Evelyn, contact your doctor before you make your next move. You could knowingly be doing more harm than good, you must consult, and check.
  5. I can already see, from the few chapters I have read Stu why past quits hit the skids. My chimp was in overdrive, out of control, filled with so many gremlins that hadn't been removed via education. Now I know that the chimp is 5 times stronger than the human I can see, as the book says, it was no match and willpower never wins, it couldn't. It's like ahhhhhhhh, finally I get why it was so not easy peasy in the past.
  6. As you say folk, no doubt, will think we have lost the plot. ;) Agree my chimp is there, no choice, and can give me helpful, accurate information. I too read that it is 5 times the strength of the Human brain. You know how I say I'm like a working springer spaniel? How I laughed when I read : Having a chimp is like owning a dog. You are not responsible for the nature of the dog ( was born with the chimp I have) but you are responsible for managing it and keeping it well behaved. I also like that it says: The main purpose of this book is to help you manage your chimp and to harness its strength and power when it is working for you and to neutralise it when it is not. My girls and hubby want to read the book after me, as I have been sharing key things from it. That makes me really happy as I can imagine it to be a huge help to my hormonal daughters.
  7. Action...if the concept is good enough for LFC... ;)....Lee desperately wants his beloved West Ham to employ him...lol Stu...post away, let you chimp free. It does later teach us how to manage the chimp. Having been drugged up to the eyeballs for the last 30 years (300 shots per day) all this is new to me, I obviously just got on with life's ups and downs Stu, knew no different. When I read key points, like this... The golden rule is that whenever you have feelings, thoughts or behaviours that you do not want or welcome, then you are being hijacked by your chimp. The very simple question, therefore, is to begin with 'Do I want....' and then finish the sentence. For example: 'Do I want these feelings?" Or 'Do I want these thoughts?' Or 'Do I want to be behaving this way?' If the answer is 'no' then you are in chimp mode and if the answer is 'yes' then you are in Human mode. That in itself has already helped me understand that the chimp is hijacking me, and I now need to manage it. I also foundbit very interesting that the chimp, the limbic part of the brain, is only black or white. It mentions children and I could relate to that, I can already see when my girls have a spat it is chimp v chimp. Then....to be honest my own chimp got involved too! Reading on....reading on... ;)
  8. So far so good Stu.... ;) Off out to enjoy the day, catch you later.
  9. Will do ;) Fingers crossed we end up having a mini book club on this ;) Mind you I have never been to a book club in my life so guidance on how to be part of a cyber book club would be well received :)
  10. Juan, pleae strongly consider reading this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+chimp+paradox&sprefix=the+chimp%2Cstripbooks%2C428 This book will help you understand what is going on in your mind, why you feel you can't keep to the NOPE. Please strongly consider it Juan, it will allow you to set yourself free, to manage your mind.
  11. I just so get it Stu! I look forward to sharing views on it with you, if you fancy? I am going to read it through once, then, am going to start myself a blog so I can express my learnings and thoughts and have a place that I can check my progress on. By starting to understand how my mind works I can see, with the exercises, how it can help me to actually manage my mind....priceless!
  12. ((((Tracey)))) I have no doubt your dad would be very proud of you, that you have stopped smoking.
  13. So is so beautiful Babs, you must be extremely proud of both being a non smoking grandparent and having such a bundle of love in your life. Happy days :)
  14. Babs did you make a purchase in the end? I have to say I absolutely love this book, I get it! I can see now why I was, in the past, a 30 year serial quitter! It's like...ahhhhhh, so I get it now, I get why The Easyway book alone just didn't reach the me. Far too many germlins in my mind that I didn't trust or know I had the power to destroy. I think this book would be excellent for serial quitters, those with the 'strong emotional tyes' in their minds with regards to stopping smoking. Weight too, I can see how applying the same 'manage the chimp' could help folk manage their eating habits. I am going to refuse the medication from the doctor, when my bloods come back, as the book is teaching me how to flush the blood to the right part of my mind, and balance my brain chemistry myself. Stopping smoking was the best choice I ever made and reading this book is definitely up there, a tye with that event. Just brilliant.
  15. sharonsiff replied to Evelyn's topic in Off The Record
    So glad that you feel better today Evelyn xx
  16. Sorry I missed this Evelyn, was off line most of yesterday. How are you feeling today? Have your fears lessened? What's behind the fear? Out all day again today, will catch up with you late afternoon. Xx
  17. Great post. And if you feel you can't commit to all of the above, through fear or the self fulfilling prophecy of the other failed quits....just do it anyway. Great book to understand and manage any fear is The Chip Paradox..... ;)
  18. Happy Birthday Markus, hope you enjoy your day xx
  19. Many congrats to you baffled....job well done :)
  20. Congratulations Andrew, you and your family must be very proud of you, I know I am.
  21. A Nope from me :)
  22. I agree with Markus Marti. Emotionally it has made you wild so maybe look at it with logical thinking? If she is still smoking 3 there is that last bit of fear that is still running her quit. I would imagine her fear is the thing to get her to focus on, face and chat to you about. Focusing on your disappointment might be the excuse/trigger she uses to stuff the quit and go back to her old quota for the day. I knowit may seem ddifficult but remove the emotion and try and apply logic.
  23. O.M.G Babs....it is brilliant! You know you trusted me on Bad Grandpa? Trust me on this.... I don't know if Action is reading this but Dr Steve Peters is the current phycologist at Liverpool football club. Lee was telling me that it was in the UK newspaper that other clubs want a slice of him, due to Liverpools current success rate. I can see why...
  24. Just Wow!!! Has anyone read this book? http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Chimp-Paradox-Management-Confidence/dp/009193558X I can immediately see how this book will help get my brain chemistry back to normal without medication! I can see how this bookbwould certainly help people who pledge Nope then crack, or why people still romance the cigarette. I am very, very excited! Apart fromnAllen Carrs books I have never read, or fancied readingva brain selfbhelp book in my life. So glad I decided to read this.....

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.