Take what you need & leave the rest

Jenny

In the months after I first quit smoking I was told this frequently by a fellow quitter who is no longer with us.  (((Skip))).  In all honesty, it irritated me every time he said it!  As I approach my 2 year anniversary I realize how much has changed in my thinking regarding the quit and all the different advice being offered. 

The truth is that when Skip said to take what you need and leave the rest he was right!  Just because I don't personally find something to be helpful does not mean everyone feels that way.  I see things posted all the time that I cannot relate to but I (now) know it's ok because if the OP had that experience then it is likely someone else has as well.  If that post helps just one person to quit, then I am all for it!

I guess what I am saying is that I appreciate the diversity of this board and the quitters here and I hope it is always that way because that is what will be most helpful to everyone who comes here to quit.  A little bit of everything.

Something else I am going to confess too....

I agree with Jonny and the Sarge :o .  Quitting is easy peasy.  All you have to do is NOT SMOKE.

wait....has hell frozen over? :P

I love you all my fellow quitters and all you bring to the table!

• Like 10

I think this post is so true Jenny. In only ten months after stopping, I myself, can see a complete turnaround in my think7ng.

How ironic that 'Jonny's' post would have set my teeth on edge ten months ago, yet are now the ones I nod to and completely relate to. Just goes to show, once your brain starts to rebalance you see things ever so differently.

• Like 4

I think this post is so true Jenny. In only ten months after stopping, I myself, can see a complete turnaround in my think7ng.

How ironic that 'Jonny's' post would have set my teeth on edge ten months ago, yet are now the ones I nod to and completely relate to. Just goes to show, once your brain starts to rebalance you see things ever so differently.

I imagine there are some who never have this experience and that's ok too.  Just so long as everyone is quit & is able to maintain that  it shouldn't matter at all.  I'm an incredibly stubborn person so I imagine that has played into why this has been my experience.  Some folks are probably more open to it from the get go!  My stubborn personality gets in my way quite a bit.  Currently I am fighting with myself regarding weight loss.  When it comes to food it would do me well to remember to take what I need and leave the rest!!  lol

• Like 2

I imagine there are some who never have this experience and that's ok too.  Just so long as everyone is quit & is able to maintain that  it shouldn't matter at all.  I'm an incredibly stubborn person so I imagine that has played into why this has been my experience.  Some folks are probably more open to it from the get go!  My stubborn personality gets in my way quite a bit.  Currently I am fighting with myself regarding weight loss.  When it comes to food it would do me well to remember to take what I need and leave the rest!!  lol

That's true Jenny, we all have our own minds and wiring.

There are folk who have a completely different mind set to me and are no doubt just as comfortable, as you say as long as we all are, or get comfortable.

Get your sort yer weight out head on Mrs ;), if that's your goal.

I'm sure you'll find the key to sorting that.

• Like 1

I kinda of agree - and kinda don't...

Take what you need - and consider the rest...would be my variation

Depending on where you are, what you are feeling - different things might ring true. However - sometimes I read a post that at first glance doesn't work for me or just seems wrong..and I think about it.

Somebody posted it for a reason - and sometimes it is only through kicking that idea around that I 'get it' 

• Like 1

And that shows why we need people posting and supporting others who are at every stage of their quits...I think some of the most effective are Newbie helping Newbie...

• Like 2