5 Years :-)

Jonny5

5 Years ago I put out my last cigarette and went to bed, I didn’t realize that it was my last one, I only knew that the next morning, when I woke up and decided that I wasn’t doing it anymore.  Little did I know of the amazing journey upon which I was about to embark, or of the people I would meet, the friends I would make, and the adventures that I would have.

I was 37 Years old, and had been “Trying” to stop smoking for as long as I could remember.  I was a 40+ per day chain smoker.  My health was poor, and my self esteem was low.   I was a prisoner to my addiction, I was old before my time, and I felt hopeless and helpless.

My big revelation happened when I realised the most simplest of truths.  I realised that nothing was going to make me not want to smoke anymore.  Nothing was going to suddenly make me a non smoker and erase my cravings and longings and habitual behaviours.  There was not a single product on the market that could do that.

I realised that to stop smoking I had to really honestly want to stop smoking, not want to not want to smoke, but I genuinely had to mean it.  I realised that it’s hard to force yourself to do something you don’t really want to do, but easy and simple to stop doing something that you don’t  want to do.

To stop smoking, you just stop smoking.  And that’s pretty much it, nothing terrible would happen to me if I didn’t smoke, but a future of uncertainty and ill health awaited me if I did.

5 years later and I have saved myself from spending approximately £35,000 by not buying 73,000 cigarettes, and I have turned my life around.

Quitting smoking was like a catalyst that unlocked my mind from self doubt and empowered me to find self realisation.  I have subsequently Quit Alcohol, and I’m currently 4 years and 8 months sober.  And just last week I was awarded my first Dan Black Belt in Karate.

It’s your life, and your choices.  Dare to dream and become whatever you want to be….  I’m Jon, and I’m a non smoker :-)

• Like 11

Great post and congratulations on five-years.

"To stop smoking, you just stop smoking."  I love the fact that this whole process, a process that will positively impact every aspect of your life, can be summed up with that one basic and simple truth.  I used to be impressed by complexity, but genius often lies in simplicity.  If you want to quit...quit!

Good for you Jon.

• Like 2

Congratulations!! From what I've read, after five years of not smoking any more, one's chances for different health issues drops to that of a never smoker. I am working toward this day too.

Thanks for being an inspiration for us all.   :D  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

AWESOME Jonny5!!!

Congrats on not smoking and not drinking!

I stopped drinking in February, and it has been just as awesome as quitting smoking!  No more hangovers!  It feels great!

Great to see you too!  You should swing by more often!

• Like 1