newbie here

welcome aboard brandy  congrats on quitting  ,  hang in there you can do this  1 day at a time     time will seam slow at first then it will start to fly by   

Hiya, Late to the party but see you're going well, great work!!

I quit around smokers and actually you can use it to your advantage. Watch and listen to the chest rattle/the catch just before they cough and when they try and laugh how it sends their chest into spasm. Not in a horrible way but really SEE what smoking does to you and vow that it can't have you anymore. 

A number of us have been around the smokers who just want us back in the fold. Terrible but true. Don't let anyone influence this brilliant choice you have made for yourself. 

And welcome :)

x

• Like 2

Hi Jimmy & Marti, thank you!

You're right Marti, just watching people smoke maybe is helpful in deciding not to do it again. Listening to everyone cough. And after a few days my sense of smell came back and now I think yuck, stinky!! That's how I smelled :(

Although I must say yesterday was a bad one. I had a really, really bad day at work and the addict thoughts started creeping in "just go buy a pack." Ugh! Even when my rational mind is saying NOPE those old thoughts creep in, I hate that feeling like I'm not in control. But I AM, I just need to NOT smoke. Simple as that.

My normal routine, after a bad day at work, was to sit on the deck and chain smoke. My brain kept yelling at me to do it last night. I mentally wrestled with it for hours, it was quite a debate inside my head lol. Ultimately my rational brain won and I'm very happy I fought down the irrational voice.

It's just sad I couldn't go sit on the deck on a beautiful warm night, because it is one of my triggers. It's ridiculous and I have put myself into this position with years of my routine addict behavior! Soon enough I hope, I'll go sit on my deck & watch the sunset without wanting a smoke..

So instead I stayed inside and visited here for a few hours and went to bed early. Now up early on day 9, smoke free, with extra energy, feeling no desire to smoke for today and so happy it's the weekend!!!

Happy Saturday everyone, have a fabulous weekend :)

• Like 3

B I understand...I had smoked all my adult life...52 years...is a hell of alot of years...everything I did related to smoking...

I was like a toddler learning how to do stuff...but smoke free..

It was hard and alien at first...but as time went by...it got easier...

Now...I do all the stuff I did before ...and dont even think of smoking...

Be patient...don't over think....this is why ..one day at a time is important...

Keep marchin...x

• Like 2

^^^ What she said  :D

You are relearning to live your life without part of it there. You wouldn't be human if the thoughts didn't come in - the fact that you over rode them with NOPE will give you a new normal soon enough. It helps to remember the good days, the ones that feel easier so that when a whackload of thoughts come knocking you remember there are good non smoking times too. 

We are addicted to nicotine. Don't forget this. You are not having thoughts that smoking is great - it is your addiction being triggered by a memory or a time when you would previously have smoked. Replace it with a healthy action or shout it down, whatever your thing is but that is how we learn to become a non smoker.

I occassionally remember that "oh I would have smoked here" but do not want to be a smoker and each hurdle crossed or smoking trigger faced down will take you closer to that - but every smoker I see has a pale colour, or is ill and that cough and smell are horrific...no way do we want that again. 

x

• Like 1

Hi Sazerac, thank you!

Exactly Marti, I already am feeling happy not smoking and even days when I don't want one, I will just do something or see something that feels like I should be smoking...so odd when you look at your behaviors and patterns and when/where you always smoked. Yuck I'm so done with it!

I love that my sense of smell is coming back. All the spring flowers smell so amazing here and smokers just don't know what they're missing!!!

Smoke free life is just so much nicer and less stressful...I don't know how I've always ended up hooked back on the nasty stuff every time (well yes I do, I let the addiction win.)

I feel so utterly extremely happy today to say NOPE and will never let another drop of nicotine in me dang it!! I am determined to never be in that position again.

Feeling better every day, and this time need to remember to never be complacent and let my guard down with "one puff" a year down the road. I will stick around here with all you wonderful folks, to remind me daily of what i need to do to keep this quit! Thanks all :)

• Like 3

....so odd when you look at your behaviors and patterns and when/where you always smoked. 

So true!  A few months after I'd quit, I caught myself walking toward the front door to head outside for a cig. I wasn't craving, wasn't

thinking about one... just habit.  If there was a pause in my day, I'd head outside.  So conditioned.

Smoke free life is just so much nicer and less stressful...I don't know how I've always ended up hooked back on the nasty stuff every time (well yes I do, I let the addiction win.)

I feel so utterly extremely happy today to say NOPE and will never let another drop of nicotine in me dang it!! I am determined to never be in that position again.

There it is!  It is liberating to find out what awaits us when we take back control from our addiction.

Some people just get it and you're clearly one of those people.  Proceed.

Hi Sazerac, thank you!

Exactly Marti, I already am feeling happy not smoking and even days when I don't want one, I will just do something or see something that feels like I should be smoking...so odd when you look at your behaviors and patterns and when/where you always smoked. Yuck I'm so done with it!

I love that my sense of smell is coming back. All the spring flowers smell so amazing here and smokers just don't know what they're missing!!!

Feeling better every day, and this time need to remember to never be complacent and let my guard down with "one puff" a year down the road. I will stick around here with all you wonderful folks, to remind me daily of what i need to do to keep this quit! Thanks all :)

print this out Brandywyne and read it everyday to remind yourself how sweet your Freedom is !

• 1 month later...

Where is our beautiful BrandyWyne ?  

Please don't get lost,

come back to your friends who are here to support you.

Many of us have had relapses only to power through to a sticky quit.

You can do it, B.

Please have faith in yourself.

S

• Like 1