December 22, 201510 yr I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY. Boy I woke up several times before I woke up "for good" and through the fog of not being all the way awake I was wanting to smoke SO BAD. It was so bad I even thought there was no reason to get up because there was nothing worth looking forward to if I couldn't smoke. I wasn't all the way awake when I was thinking this but that's what I was feeling. Now that I'm awake, the urge to smoke is there but the desire is not. Not really. What a sick addiction. I am wearing a patch now because I tried so many times to quit cold turkey. I want to quit cold turkey so bad but since I kept giving in and relapsing I thought well, I can do THAT again or I can try something different, be patient and understanding with myself and try the NRT way. Its definitely more comfortable but I don't like that its going to be so long before I'm nicotine free. On the other hand, if it takes months to be nicotine free at least I'll get there...if I keep trying and failing to quit cold turkey then at the end of the same amount of time I COULD be still smoking.
December 22, 201510 yr The important thing is that you are not smoking! It does not matter how you get there!
December 22, 201510 yr Exactly, you will still get there. Don't get hung up on Cold Turkey, as the best and only way, all ways lead to Rome. Even if it's only placebo the patch might take the edge off for you, while you get out of the habit side of reaching for a smoke, using them as markers to section your day. Do what you are doing, share you plans, thoughts and feelings like you have here. I can remember the feeling of not wanting to get up, in past quits, didn't see the point. I had undiagnosed clinical depression, not saying that you have, at all, am just saying though if you feel dreadful chat to a doctor. If I knew then what I know know I would have. You got up, you are getting on with your day...good for you. Keep busy, work up a sweat if you can, flood your system with happy excersise hormones (sorry can't remember what they are called) Keep your eye on how you feel and keep doing what you are doing...not smoking.
December 22, 201510 yr I suspect Day 3 is not great for most new quitters. If I recall, I felt like I was melting and I was sooo dizzy. I wore a patch too. You know in the beginning it is best to do whatever it takes to get by without smoking. I;m proud of you! Keep it up
December 22, 201510 yr Day three was horrible for me too and lots of others have too. As others have said keep busy, take it an hour at a time if you have to! just do anything to get through the day
December 23, 201510 yr Cinnamon hard candy was a lifesaver for me at first. Just remember this is as bad as it gets, then it gets good, and then it gets great. Pat yourself on the back!!
December 23, 201510 yr The little nico monster is tapping your shoulder ...whispering in your ear.... Have non of it...tell him to do one... Your stronger than him...he will get weaker....
December 23, 201510 yr All roads lead to Rome :) There are lots of us who have found aids to be more helpful than cold turkey (I used chantix). Whatever works for you is the right option. It's like learning to ride a bike, in the long run it doesn't matter if you took the training wheels off at 2 weeks or 6 months. No one compares that stuff later!! I'm proud of you for realizing that what you were doing wasn't working and changing it up! That's the sign of a success!!
December 24, 201510 yr Don't smoke. I hope the patch will help you. I used to think that cold turkey was THE ONLY WAY to quit anything, but sometimes, some of us need a little help with our addictions. So let the patch help you get over the really hard parts, but it is still up to you to quit. You have to want it. When I quit smoking, I REALLY wanted to quit. There were ZERO benefits to smoking. So let the patch stop the addiction, but quit in your heart. If you want to smoke, no patch, gum medicine, or anything else will help. If you WANT to stop, patches, gum and medicine may be tools to success. I think this applies to other addictions as well. Hang in there Michelle!!!
January 3, 201610 yr Michelle, the important thing is that you're not smoking. If the patch is keeping you from lighting up, then by all means follow the course. As you know, the end goal is to get off of nicotine completely and forever but for now, keep going. You've made a decision to quit smoking and you're changing your approach this time so that means that you're sick and tired of being controlled by this horrible drug. Good for you! :)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.