Not for the squeamish

Mike.

I have to echo what babs said about humor/laughter aiding or helping people in stressful situations. I am an OR nurse when I bring patients to the OR they are understandably nervous there are times when I use a bit of humor to help them relax (laughter helps) for example I might say I get extra points for hitting the next person with the bed etc...just silly jokes to help release the stress, they appear more relax or at ease and their anxiety level lessons a bit. Now of course I read the situation before I use that approach, I have to read the person also if they are exceedingly nervous or weepy I use a more serious/caring approach or if it is a sad or trauma situation also......I just try to feel out the situation in the 5 minutes i get to meet them and bring them back to the OR....Humor helps in just about every situation just the act of laughter can bring stress and anxiety levels down.....It also helps the person open up more to you I have found also.

• Like 1

OK. I yield to the majority opinion. So for all of you out there who know that you would be wise to get a colonoscopy but are putting it off because you find it embarrassing (get that? "bare-assing"?   :D  :D ) and/or humiliating and/or frightening, be advised that it is a truly miserable experience the day before, the day of and the day or two after. However, the folks here will help you see the humor in the situation and that is undoubtedly going to reassure you to such an extent that you happily laugh your way to the phone and schedule your first colonoscopy. Yep. Sounds like a plan.

Trust me having a colonoscopy is better than a sigmoidoscopy. With a sigmoidoscopy there is no sedation, nothing.  I had my first when I  was 24.  Every five years.   Familial adenomatous polyposis runs in my family.  You feel it all and get to watch it in real time on screen.  You still have to use all the fun stuff the night before to uh cleanse yourself.  Is that what a colon cleanse diet is?  LOL  I agree with the humor side of this as well as the obvious need to have whatever test your doctor recommends. That part is no joke.  My uncle died in a horrible way from colon cancer at 49 and his daughter diagnosed a year later at 23.  

• Like 1

I guess people will do what they want. My sister died last year from colon cancer. She never had that baseline colonoscopy. People are free to kill themselves any way they choose. People are also free to live as they choose. My sister was a nurse, she smoked, and she didn't get tests. Why she did all this is, I guess, complicated. I was angry about it...but you just have to love people where they are or life becomes a bitter pill. When I'm not going insane from quitting smoking, I feel pretty happy about it...it makes me giddy happy!. I can only save myself, and I also laugh at my own jokes. Haha.

• Like 1

I've had a colonoscopy and I was all worked up about it.  When it was over I thought, "that's what I got all worked up over".  When I woke up and went home, I couldn't tell that I even had one done.  No pain, wasn't sore and I got a clean bill of health.  When I have to go back for another, I won't be worked up at all over it.  It's an inconvenience beforehand, but it's not like you're sitting on the toilet sick from food poisoning.  It's just that you have to go to the bathroom and you're not sick, an inconvenience for sure but the procedure itself was like it never happened.

I was so worked up while I was waiting to to be wheeled in that I asked the nurse how many they do per day and she said "on average, 50".  I instantly felt better because I knew for them it was completely routine and not a big deal at all.  Then I looked at all the other people there for the same thing I was.  A lot of older people so I figure if they could handle it, I surely could.

Well, I guess there was one uncomfortable part.  The doctor who performed the colonoscopy was my neighbor! lol

OK. I yield to the majority opinion. So for all of you out there who know that you would be wise to get a colonoscopy but are putting it off because you find it embarrassing (get that? "bare-assing"?   :D  :D ) and/or humiliating and/or frightening, be advised that it is a truly miserable experience the day before, the day of and the day or two after. However, the folks here will help you see the humor in the situation and that is undoubtedly going to reassure you to such an extent that you happily laugh your way to the phone and schedule your first colonoscopy. Yep. Sounds like a plan.

no need to take it to the extreme....not what I meant at all.  I guess what sue was saying is that you seem to take everything too serious..and I'm not talking about just colonoscopies...you seem to be serious about everything.  Being uptight causes cancer too...the same cancer that everyone is having tubes put up the arse to find.

I don't think there is anything anyone can say here that will convince a person to get a colonoscopy or not.  Let's face it....having anything stuck up your arse isn't pleasant (unless you like that sort of thing...like sarah)  so there is no way in hell you will convince me that it is all roses and candy.  But....as an informed adult...I make my own decisions.

I'm 47 and haven't had one yet....I guess when I'm 50 I will have one.  I'm not a fan of doctors...and i'm just now starting to get brave and go.  I have an eye doctor appointment next week.  Never had an eye exam in my life. 

There are many reasons why people don't go to doctors...FEAR is a big one.  When I was an overweight smoker...I could not bring myself to the doctor and have them tell me bad news or tell me to quit smoking and lose weight..information I already knew.  Figured it was a waste of my time.  I know that's kind of silly but that's where my head was at.  I also figured....when I die..I die.

• Like 1

getting any procedure done when you have a health scare is always scary not so much the procedure its self (depending on the procedure of course) but more what are the results going to be and that is one of the main reasons people don`t go its the bury the head in the sand method, but I can vouch that if you do bury your head in the sand it could be too late for just some simple procedure and the results are far more painful and scary than any poking and prodding you avoided in the first place! 

There is a time to be serious and that is go get any tests done right now right this very minute if you feel something is "just not right" but for the rest of it from my experience my SOH was what got me and my family through the rough of it.

hearing the word Cancer is morbid but seeing my family suffering was far more painful, only I could change that, if I remained serious and morbid so would they,

on hearing if I didn`t have the operations or treatment I would have 6 months, my reply was "well you better bury me on my knees, head down - so the world can kiss my ass!" 

me and another woman after our operations used to have races to the dining room, took us 20 minutes to get there with catheters and drips and lots of ows and awws and telling offs from the nurses but it got us through

whenever a visitor came we were always laughing, mainly at the amount of wind that gets trapped after op and that a cloth curtain does not hide the noise when it releases :P  - things normally I would die of shame of  :blush:

I remember it all like yesterday and I have to say that I remember the laughs and giggles more than the pain and upset - it was really the best medicine for me and all around me  :wub:

best of luck to all of you going through or waiting for procedures, better to be safe than sorry and you are all in my prayers for a speedy recovery xx

keep laughing your asses off and don`t sweat the small stuff  B)

• Like 2

On my fast track the MD actually said "we'll be gentle".  And so, I hope they were gentle with you as well Mike.

So much for the jokes to lighten things up.  Not for the sqeamish is right...

Butt, I assume I was okay,. they never asked me for an encore, thank God...

• Like 1