November 5, 201411 yr Author Jodi, Congratulations on your quit and also thank you for being here on the QTrain. Your experiences are invaluable. At a certain point, I had to put my foot down and make myself STOP thinking about smoking/not smoking. I was torturing myself. I had to take myself in hand and say, "ENOUGH ! This is not that big a deal ! Time to Suck it up, Buttercup" You have the same power to take control and stop the mental torture. I guess I need to get to that point too.
November 5, 201411 yr Author oh DD...is so right on the button here....reading jackies relapse was heart breakin... The second you lit that dam thing....you would feel devasted...and wonder why the hell you needed it.... Your ridding yourself off a poison ...which is slowly killing you.... DF I don't know if you know my hubby has to have oxygen 16 hours of every day.....if it doesn't kill you first.... There is nothing to romance .... You are the smart one......you keep your quit sweetheart....and love it.... Xxxxx It's things like that that make me want to keep my quit. I don't want to haul an oxygen tank around and if I don't quit now I know I'll regret it if I get a smoking related disease and I'll wish I could go back in time.
November 5, 201411 yr I guess I need to get to that point too. Jodi, Once I realized I was in control and not nicotine, I just couldn't bear to torture myself anymore. I had to switch it up ! You can get there and you will, I have no doubt.
November 5, 201411 yr Author Thanks guys. You all are truly amazing. I'm not gonna smoke. I don't really want to. I actually already feel better just by typing it out and gettin got off my chest. It also helps to know others have struggled at the same point in their quit as me. It's disheartening to read about all the people doing so well when you are not. I'm glad for them but at the same time it's hard for me to hear it. Part of me can't help but wonder if some of the ones claiming to be sailing right on through aren't just saying that so they don't have to admit it's not always easy.
November 5, 201411 yr Author Thanks guys. You all are truly amazing. I'm not gonna smoke. I don't really want to. I actually already feel better just by typing it out and getting it off my chest. It also helps to know others have struggled at the same point in their quit as me. It's disheartening to read about all the people doing so well when you are not. I'm glad for them but at the same time it's hard for me to hear it. Part of me can't help but wonder if some of the ones claiming to be sailing right on through aren't just saying that so they don't have to admit it's not always easy.
November 5, 201411 yr In a way, yes, I don't know what I feel I'm missing. I can't pin point it. I think part of it may be that I'm scared to go through strong emotions without smoking. I read and watch all the stuff I can but I can't get that out of the back of my mind that there may be something i'm missing. How do I change that? I tell myself all the bad but I can't completely convince myself to believe it all.I keep at it because I hope I will get to that point soon and I do want to be a non smoker. I think you're still believing in the cigarette. There have been other members who have had the same problem. What do you think you're missing by not smoking? Certainly you can make a list of positive things since quitting rather quickly but I think you'd have a hard time making a list of bad things since you've quit smoking. You're unable to pinpoint what exactly it is that you're missing out on by not smoking so what you're listening to is the nicotine addict. Junkie thinking; recognize these thoughts for what they are and soon you'll retrain your brain know without a doubt that you're not missing out on anything. Have you watched this video? Boy, Do I Miss Smoking! This video discusses how if people use the phrase "Boy, do I miss smoking," long enough, they may end up believing the message and putting their quits at risk. People don't usually miss smoking--they miss cigarettes and more accurately, they miss the "good cigarettes" they used to smoke. Really though, just how many of their cigarettes were "good cigarettes?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5ZL02832s Related articles: "Boy, do I miss smoking!" http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/20665 I Smoke Because I Like Smoking! http://www.ffn.yuku.com/topic/17137 The Fallacy of "Good Cigarettes" http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/11348 Related videos: "I smoke because I like smoking" http://youtu.be/nCkt_ajgTQE Who wants to go back to smoking? http://youtu.be/DG9qGjf2hd8 "I gave up smoking" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSe3iH... "No thank you, I can't have a cigarette." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD25Zz...
November 5, 201411 yr Author I think you're still believing in the cigarette. There have been other members who have had the same problem. What do you think you're missing by not smoking? Certainly you can make a list of positive things since quitting rather quickly but I think you'd have a hard time making a list of bad things since you've quit smoking. You're unable to pinpoint what exactly it is that you're missing out on by not smoking so what you're listening to is the nicotine addict. Junkie thinking; recognize these thoughts for what they are and soon you'll retrain your brain know without a doubt that you're not missing out on anything. Have you watched this video? Boy, Do I Miss Smoking! This video discusses how if people use the phrase "Boy, do I miss smoking," long enough, they may end up believing the message and putting their quits at risk. People don't usually miss smoking--they miss cigarettes and more accurately, they miss the "good cigarettes" they used to smoke. Really though, just how many of their cigarettes were "good cigarettes?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5ZL02832s Related articles: "Boy, do I miss smoking!" http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/20665 I Smoke Because I Like Smoking! http://www.ffn.yuku.com/topic/17137 The Fallacy of "Good Cigarettes" http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/11348 Related videos: "I smoke because I like smoking" Who wants to go back to smoking? "I gave up smoking" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSe3iH... "No thank you, I can't have a cigarette." You are right. I can make a list of the good aspects of my quit and can't think of any reason why it's bad and no I can't pinpoint what I think I may be missing. I do find myself wanting that one good cigarette. The mythical one that'll end all my cravings and desires to ever smoke again. I know its not real but so I won't waste my my time even trying to have it but I still can't shake that feeling.
November 5, 201411 yr Thanks guys. You all are truly amazing. I'm not gonna smoke. I don't really want to. I actually already feel better just by typing it out and getting it off my chest. It also helps to know others have struggled at the same point in their quit as me. It's disheartening to read about all the people doing so well when you are not. I'm glad for them but at the same time it's hard for me to hear it. Part of me can't help but wonder if some of the ones claiming to be sailing right on through aren't just saying that so they don't have to admit it's not always easy. DF, a lot of people prefer to "fake it til they make it". When I was having a rough patch, I would post and post encouraging others. I never said if I was struggling or not, I just told others they could do it. That helped me through my hard times. Again, if it was always easy, nobody would still be smoking. You are doing great, and this, too, shall pass...
November 5, 201411 yr You are right. I can make a list of the good aspects of my quit and can't think of any reason why it's bad and no I can't pinpoint what I think I may be missing. I do find myself wanting that one good cigarette. The mythical one that'll end all my cravings and desires to ever smoke again. I know its not real but so I won't waste my my time even trying to have it but I still can't shake that feeling. You know how you shake that feeling? You don't smoke and the longer you don't smoke this feeling will be less and less and certainly no longer an internal conflict. The conflict will be removed once you've retrained your brain that smoking doesn't benefit it us in any way at all. You will get here once you get through all the different seasons both literally and figuratively speaking. It takes a full year in most cases to experience the typical cycle of changes in the seasons, holidays, emotions and a huge list of other things that can cause cravings and urges to smoke. One thing we both know is that you're beating this addiction! It takes courage which you obviously have lots of or else you would have relapsed by now. Don't ever give a damn inch against this addiction because your life depends on it. In the meantime, never forget the commitment that you made to yourself to never take another puff from one of those damn cigarettes. They bring nothing but death and disease. You've come this far and there is no way that your support group is going to let you succumb to this addiction. Keep posting and writing about your feelings, concerns, triumphs etc. Have you rewarded yourself for the great work thus far?
November 6, 201411 yr Author You know how you shake that feeling? You don't smoke and the longer you don't smoke this feeling will be less and less and certainly no longer an internal conflict. The conflict will be removed once you've retrained your brain that smoking doesn't benefit it us in any way at all. You will get here once you get through all the different seasons both literally and figuratively speaking. It takes a full year in most cases to experience the typical cycle of changes in the seasons, holidays, emotions and a huge list of other things that can cause cravings and urges to smoke. One thing we both know is that you're beating this addiction! It takes courage which you obviously have lots of or else you would have relapsed by now. Don't ever give a damn inch against this addiction because your life depends on it. In the meantime, never forget the commitment that you made to yourself to never take another puff from one of those damn cigarettes. They bring nothing but death and disease. You've come this far and there is no way that your support group is going to let you succumb to this addiction. Keep posting and writing about your feelings, concerns, triumphs etc. Have you rewarded yourself for the great work thus far? I've been out at my favorite expensive restaurant and done some shopping as rewards. I'm going to keep reading and watching videos and telling myself cigs offer nothing. It'll click at some point
November 6, 201411 yr I've been out at my favorite expensive restaurant and done some shopping as rewards. I'm going to keep reading and watching videos and telling myself cigs offer nothing. It'll click at some point Just remember that when you feel ick because you're retraining your mind for life without cigarettes (AKA freedomville), that smoking makes you feel like complete crap. When I look back and think how I felt when I was smoking, it's almost like I could feel myself dying. Smoking is not a good feeling at all. I thought it was for so many years, but I guess I just got used to the feeling of a slow and miserable death which became normal for me. I'll never go back to that life ever again. Ever. Who Wants To Go Back To Smoking? This video discusses how former smokers at times think they want to go back to smoking, but if they really remind themselves of the package deal that goes along with being a smoker, it will be easy for them to stick to their quit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9qGjf2hd8&list=PL76365B6CE2DA076B Related articles: "I think I have decided to go back to smoking" http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/11399 "I made a conscious decision to smoke." http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/11400 Craves and thoughts that occur over time http://www.ffn.yuku.com/topic/207
November 6, 201411 yr I am happy I quit but I did not get to be the type of quitter who embraced the freedom right away and who finds the smell of smoke to be horrible and who never looked back. Instead I worked worked worked at it. I read like you to train my brain over over and over. I talked it out with friends and family. Slowly with time the missing the cig part ends. Some times still I think about smoking. But I do remind myself that I need to think about why I quit. I did so I would not get cancer or a heart attack or copd, etc. These are important reasons and they need to be in front of my mind to counteract the compulsion to have a cigarette.
November 6, 201411 yr Author I am happy I quit but I did not get to be the type of quitter who embraced the freedom right away and who finds the smell of smoke to be horrible and who never looked back. Instead I worked worked worked at it. I read like you to train my brain over over and over. I talked it out with friends and family. Slowly with time the missing the cig part ends. Some times still I think about smoking. But I do remind myself that I need to think about why I quit. I did so I would not get cancer or a heart attack or copd, etc. These are important reasons and they need to be in front of my mind to counteract the compulsion to have a cigarette. How did you finally make it click?
November 6, 201411 yr I would say at about six months. I think I still had desires in places like the car or when drinking. I have come to realize that a physical cigarette would not satisfy the thought. A real cigarette would make me feel dizzy and sick.
November 6, 201411 yr I am at 14 months today. I will tell you how it feels now. I am relaxed. I do not want to smoke. I did not have a thought to smoke today. I am not suffering or missing anything. I do not look outside anymore where I used to smoke. I do not need to look for ways to distract myself. I do not feel like I am pretending anymore. If I think about smoking in the car, I chew a piece of gum. I did gain 25 lbs. from eating but I am on a diet.
November 6, 201411 yr DF last time I quit I relapsed at 4 months. I was like, forget this I don't want to live like this. Knowledge is power. I didn't go into this quit WANTING to quit, but I HAD to because of insurance/closet smoker issues. But once I started reading everything I could get my hands on - without even really having an open mind at first - I started to understand more. It's honest to Pete mind over matter. At 4 months the 'excitement' of the quit is over....but just around the corner is where it gets really cool, because then you start thinking about smoking less and less until one day it's not your 'go to' even in your head. Do I still have fleeting thoughts? From time to time. Does it make me unhappy? Hell no, I'm happy as a friggin clam I'm no longer a smoker. I firmly believed for most of 20 years that smoking, in one way or another, would kill me. I was resigned to that And that is really just sad. I am so glad that is not the case anymore. P.S Love the pic, you are so pretty!!
November 6, 201411 yr Late but wanted to say you are not alone. My first smoking though free day was at almost five months. I ran the fake it till you make it and threw my support into helping others. There are break through moments that add to your mind set but ultimately not smoking gets the job done at the end of the day. Sorry your moments are tough for now. X
November 6, 201411 yr I would like to tell,you where I'm at today....life long smoker....who thought she would die a smoker.... I feel wonderful.....not sluggish when I wake up....in my smoking days I would slide out of bed....drink coffee...smoke...smoke... My breakfast time is so different now....I have a proper breakfast.... I have so much more energy.....so much more interest...oh I am a different person.....I love it.... Allen Carr talks about the black shadows ....I can so relate to that..... When that light bulb....gets turned on....you can see much clearer....and it shines.... Keep marchin... Hugx xxx
November 6, 201411 yr Author Hi DF Just a thought but have you considered that those posts saying how wonderful everything is at 2 month quit, 3 month quit etc are posted on that posters 'good' days - just like the good days you yourself have and that those same posters perhaps have just as many crappy days as you but don't want to post about them as they 'don't want to scare the newbies' ... just like you yourself said you didn't want to do with this post? And that perhaps, as Nancy said, there is an element of 'fake it till you make it' going on? Wendy you are a doll. No that has never occurred to me and it may very well be the case. Thanks for pointing that out :)
November 6, 201411 yr Author Late but wanted to say you are not alone. My first smoking though free day was at almost five months. I ran the fake it till you make it and threw my support into helping others. There are break through moments that add to your mind set but ultimately not smoking gets the job done at the end of the day. Sorry your moments are tough for now. X I am so glad that its not just me. I read how awesome everyone else is doing and it makes me feel like I am either really doing something wrong or doomed to fail. Glad thats not the case.
November 6, 201411 yr Author DF last time I quit I relapsed at 4 months. I was like, forget this I don't want to live like this. Knowledge is power. I didn't go into this quit WANTING to quit, but I HAD to because of insurance/closet smoker issues. But once I started reading everything I could get my hands on - without even really having an open mind at first - I started to understand more. It's honest to Pete mind over matter. At 4 months the 'excitement' of the quit is over....but just around the corner is where it gets really cool, because then you start thinking about smoking less and less until one day it's not your 'go to' even in your head. Do I still have fleeting thoughts? From time to time. Does it make me unhappy? Hell no, I'm happy as a friggin clam I'm no longer a smoker. I firmly believed for most of 20 years that smoking, in one way or another, would kill me. I was resigned to that And that is really just sad. I am so glad that is not the case anymore. P.S Love the pic, you are so pretty!! I did go into this quit wanting to quit. I know that for the last few months of smoking, all I could think about was quitting and after I quit, all I could think about was smoking. Thank you for the pic comment. I was thinking the same thing about you. :)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.