Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8 month update

Featured Replies

The beginings of being a nonsmoker are starting to show up. I've had a few days go by where I realized I hadn't thought about not thinking about smoking. I also went to visit some friends at their house that smoked, and it didn't even register as a problem - the only alarm was thinking breathing in the smoke would damage me, being ultra sensitive about my health lately, heh heh.

 

I'm getting an idea that the dietary changes I made may be lessening the cues and urges to smoke. Probably trying to find a silver lining to the heart attack cloud but heh whatever works, right? Swapping huge amounts of coffee for a cup of green tea a day and maybe one cup of coffee means I'm not all jittery so the deep triggers aren't going off. Kicking sugar, refined products, wheat and flour has been a withdrawal all its own; "I want a donut!" is more than likely drowning out thoughts of wanting a cigarette. Of course, I got it easy in a way - damage to the body from smoking and eating crap food got moved from the theoretical column to the in your face side.

 

In summary, even though I got hit with a bomb I'm generally better off than I was 8 months ago. Before the quit I was leading a life of deterioration. Quitting smiking cut the stress, allowed me to treat the move to town as a positive, didn't have to go through withdrawal in the hospital and during this last month of taking it easy. Factor in the successful quit made it easier to kick sugar, etc. Bunch of odd reasons to be glad I don't smoke, and I'm glad I stuck it out long enough to get here.

 

Thanks to all of you on the qt, best wishes to the new riders. Life in the club car beats walking along side the tracks.

Happy to read this, Comrade - it's great when you finally don't remember that you used to think about not smoking :blink:

I can definitely tell you've made a change … Keep On Keeping On   :)

And you know you are capable of change even when you don't want to!

congrats to you comrade on 8 months smober and getting your health in check.  Doing wonderful!

So glad to hear it is going well..and congratulations on eight months!!

so happy for you CS you are living proof on "how close to the wire" but you can turn things around, a true inspiration to wannabe quitters

 

congratulations on your 8 months :)

Good post comrade. Thanks for making the time. 

 

One hell of a ride over the last month or 2!

 

Hang tough.

Brilliant comrade, you really have transformed your life for the better, good on you.

I want to say thank you to you for this post.  Selfishly, for me. I've been feeling a bit jaded by it all and you've reminded me why I'm here, why I do this and visit this board to help others. For health, for the sake of sanity and being real with ourselves, so thank you.

 

For you. I am so pleased you had that gut feeling and instinct that it was time. I honestly think it is inbuilt in us all and it's too scary to think what might have been. It would be pretty cool to see you on the exercise and healthy living section to see you giving some hints and tips. After all, a load of us could really use some advice.

 

Above all else, 8 months seems to suit you sir :)  Brilliant work, feel better completely soon. Love to Aine. x

Happy to hear all is well!

 

Things only to get better for you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.