Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Happy Foods

Featured Replies

So was off in the music thread sharing some Aussie music when the name of a band triggered a whole series of happy food memories...although in this case it's a drink. 5hen I got thinking about how some foods just make you feel happy when you eat them or think about them.

 

So what's yours and why...

  • Author

Today my happy food memory is Lime Spiders..... a glass of lime softdrink with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.... makes me think of summer holidays on my uncles farm crowding into the kitchen to get a treat.... remembering putting on advocates concerts with the cousins, being torchered with bugs and spiders and lizards and snakes by the same cousins so getting an extra scoop to make up for having to put up with the boys all day.

That's a sweet topic @notsmokinjo. My people hail from Canada so it was summers in Vancouver picking blackberries down the lane from my grandmother's house. She used to make a lattice-topped pie. I am pretty sure I took after her: she smoked for 40 years or something but lived well until her late 80's. 

  • Author

Oh....blackberries in summer, climbing through the bracken ferns to get to the ferral blackberry bushes while staying at my Great Aunties house...she would make blackberry jam and then a batch of scones to eat it with, lecturing us the whole time not to go near the blackberry bushes cos that's where the snakes are....

 

Isn't it fun, when you think about these things you can feel the burn of the Sun through your tshirt and you can smell the eucalyptus on the air....it's like a time travel  or is that just me.

Recipes my mother inlaw used to make.  Yesterday made casserole of layered mushrooms and eggs and sausage balls.  Good for any meal.  Honey and cinnamon butter as well. I really miss my inlaws!

I married into a great family!

@Kris that sounds really good!!

Sounds like you really are a good cook.

Wish I lived closer lol. I find it hard cooking

for myself. I used to love to cook, but cooking

for 1 is no fun.

I am or was a pretty good cook when I had people to cook for.  Now it is just me. Most of the time I do not feel like it.  I try to cook a casserole once a week, the rest of the time it is the easy or quick stuff.  Baked chicken, steak, salad. I wish you lived closer too! Most of my true cooking was done for others.

Round about late May or early June...it's time for peaches.

 

I'm sure some of the peaches at the grocery store are fine.  However, peach perfection is usually purchased direct from the farmer off the back of a flatbed truck.

 

If you don't have peach juice running down your chin and aren't making m'mmm type noises...you're not doing it right.

We have a peach festival here in July.  All the fresh peaches you could want, you can even buy a bushel.  They also have a huge farmers market there with everything you could want. They close down the city square in Weatherford Texas. There are vendors of arts, crafts and food.

Great topic.  These days I find most foods are happy foods for me but going back in memory - mom's fish.  Did not realize until much later in life the value of what she made at the time.

I agree totally, no matter how hard I try I can't come close to my Mom or MIL.  I like to say they taught me to love good food.  They are both gone now but my weight is worse now.  Just old age and the fact that I can't do many active things like in my youth.

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

Tomato Soup and cheese toasties (toasted cheese sandwiches)...

This was one of the first meals I learned to 'cook' and it's the first meal i taught the kid....she just sms'd asking if we could have this for dinner...27C ain't really soup and toasty weather but guess that's wot were having.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches! Talk about comfort food! 😍

This request means that she missed home and YOU.  She wants to reclaim her safe place.  Think of her other favorites for the next few days at home.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.