Newbie here !!

Sal

@Sal, unfortunately you're going to have to put on your big boy pants and power through the craves. I promise  you that each time you do that it will get just a little bit easier. But the only way past them is to go through them.

I used an air cigarette to get past my bad cravings. I would pretend I was holding an actual cigarette and then go through the motions of "smoking" it. And it worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Some use cut straws, pens ir even licorice for their air cigarette. Maybe give that a try?

Sal, I am sorry you did not come here right away, by taking a few drags you are back to starting all over.  Have you discussed this with your Doctor.  While chantix did not work for me it has helped others.  I also have medication that I take for depression and anxiety. Not saying that would help you but your doctor should know that you are struggling.  The fact that you know have COPD should be a sign you have to quit, not that you want to but that  you have to.  Do you want to get to the point that you can't breath and have to have an oxygen assist.  Trust me, you do not.  You don't want to have to worry about having enough tanks in the house.  About having to drag a tank around the house or with you everytime you want to leave the house.  About having that tube that connects you to the tank, how long is the line, having to make sure it does not tangle or that you or the wife get tangled up and fall.  The time has passed that you can look at this as an option.  I know this sounds mean, but I am not being mean, I am trying to help you realize there can be no other way.  You have to quit, if that means you sleep in the guest room for awhile, it is better than the alternative.  Your future is what you decide it is going to be.  You say Mrs. Sal is doing okay with quiting but would she be okay without you.  I think not.  You should do this first for you but also the people you love.

• Like 1

G’day 

There’s got to be a point when you stop and don’t look back. Starving yourself of nicotine for a period then re enforcing the crave by giving in to it in the end is a special type of torture. 
My quit didn’t start with a last cig it started on the day I didn’t have a cig. At 8:30 that morning I hadn’t had a cig I took all the packets I had and drowned them. Same with the ashtrays wet them and dumped the lot in the bin. 
Then took my sweetheart to a movie and got on with the day. 
Yep I had craves but ignored them 5 mins later they left because I didn’t give them any power over me. Cause they came back but guess what they lose there strength. One of the first to disappear completely was that first smoke of the day one. Because they were ignored they lost there power I would not have believed that as a smoker but it’s true.

PS yep my sweetheart took 4 days to figure out I’d stopped. Yep I was proud, 

• Like 3

@Sal they are hard for everyone but you can do it.  I was the whiniest little bitch on this forum when i first quit.  Jillar can attest to that.  and if i can beat it anybody can.  the first thing to do is accept that you want to quit.  the addiction will try to convince you otherwise but you know you want to quit or you wouldn't be here.  also accept that it will not be easy, but it will be worth it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kris said:

Sal, I am sorry you did not come here right away, by taking a few drags you are back to starting all over.  Have you discussed this with your Doctor.  While chantix did not work for me it has helped others.  I also have medication that I take for depression and anxiety. Not saying that would help you but your doctor should know that you are struggling.  The fact that you know have COPD should be a sign you have to quit, not that you want to but that  you have to.  Do you want to get to the point that you can't breath and have to have an oxygen assist.  Trust me, you do not.  You don't want to have to worry about having enough tanks in the house.  About having to drag a tank around the house or with you everytime you want to leave the house.  About having that tube that connects you to the tank, how long is the line, having to make sure it does not tangle or that you or the wife get tangled up and fall.  The time has passed that you can look at this as an option.  I know this sounds mean, but I am not being mean, I am trying to help you realize there can be no other way.  You have to quit, if that means you sleep in the guest room for awhile, it is better than the alternative.  Your future is what you decide it is going to be.  You say Mrs. Sal is doing okay with quiting but would she be okay without you.  I think not.  You should do this first for you but also the people you love.

Okay, I have a few things to admit to. One, I already am on Oxygen :(  I know I know, Very bad.  Second, I am a Cannibus user (have license).. 

I already was on Anxiety Meds and they didn't help my situation. I was on Pain Meds for years and it almost turned tragic. I detoxed off those. NEVER again !!!!!

Patches are those only think that helped but I want to do it Cold Turkey.

• Sad 1

@intoxicated yoda we've had worse lol. I was pretty whiney myself my first few months quit. Sadly those posts got lost when the forum I was on back then imploded.

@Sal if you're really serious about quitting then maybe tell your wife not to give in to you. Or if she's serious about quitting to then ask her to go ahead and quit with you. That way there's no cigarettes in the house.

• Like 2

@Sal those are all just everday life things we do. Smoking after these things were just a habit, part of the ritual we followed that don't make sense.  Whe do we smoke after we do those things, just because we always have so it will take time to accept it is not necessary.  Will you crave, yes, will you drop deadi f you don't.  No, you may not be happy about it but you have to keep telling your self it is just a habit and you can get thru it.  If it makes easier pick something else, chew sugar free gum, brush your teeth, file your nails, clean your tools, anything just pick something else/

• Like 2

Just now, jillar said:

@Sal I'm in California where it's legal and I use edibles and like them way better than smoking it. The high lasts way longer 😉

Jillar, I can't afford afford the High prices of edibles here. I pay $76 for a Half ounce a week. That's the cheapest around and it helps. Back to smoking, I am committed , just need a little kick in the Ass.

Sal, no judgement here, the cannabis thing, not legal in my state, wish it was, maybe it would help my migraines but I would go with the edibles like Jillar.  I also take medication for anxiety, many of us do.  Now if you tell me you rob banks by day and are a serial killer by night that would be a problem.  Your problem is that you smoke and you have to quit.  You know you must and you just have to accept it.  Once I got thru a few days it got easier.  It will, you just have to start believing in yourself.  You may not enjoy it now but you will later. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kris said:

Sal, no judgement here, the cannabis thing, not legal in my state, wish it was, maybe it would help my migraines but I would go with the edibles like Jillar.  I also take medication for anxiety, many of us do.  Now if you tell me you rob banks by day and are a serial killer by night that would be a problem.  Your problem is that you smoke and you have to quit.  You know you must and you just have to accept it.  Once I got thru a few days it got easier.  It will, you just have to start believing in yourself.  You may not enjoy it now but you will later. 

Cannabis just became legal here in Connecticut. I don't have a problem with it. Smoking scares me to quit have smoked for 40 years now. The Anxiety meds are addictive as well as the Pain Meds. I've Already detoxed from those. NEVER again!!

• Like 1

@Sal, I also have COPD and am on oxygen and anxiety is pretty normal with it. I have Hydroxyzine I use. It's non habit forming and works really well definitely couldn't imagine smoking pot since my lungs failed in 2020. As far as the cost of edibles go a ten pack is about $20.00 and lasts ten days because the high from eating just one lasts for several hours.

Please try the clues you've been given because continuing to smoke when you're already on oxygen will just keep damaging your lungs....

Edited by jillar
  • Like 2