10 Steps to Relapse

beacon

Saw this some where else, not sure if it has bern posted here or who wrote it...

Ten Steps to Relapse

1. "Try" to quit.

2. Idealize life without smoking.

3. Associate your daily problems and disappointments with the fact that you're not smoking.

4. Begin to buy into the idea that you are more miserable now than before you quit.

5. Start responding to your problems with, "If this keeps up, I am going to smoke" then add "anyhow" then add "so why suffer anymore?".

(Alternate 3-5)

3. Associate your success with the idea that you have licked the nicotine habit.

4. Begin to buy into the idea that you could smoke without getting hooked again.

5. Follow-up this idea with, "I have not smoked in ___ days/weeks/months/years" then add "I have not had any cravings" then add "I could have just one").

6. Buy, borrow or steal a cigarette.

7. Find a quiet, secluded place where you can be alone with the substance to which you have attributed all power and promise for fulfillment of your needs.

8. Feel yourself calming down even before you light up, which is actually the Nicodemon ceasing to scratch at your insides as you prepare to feed the addiction.

9. Light-up and suck in all the poison you can get in that first drag, while beginning the battle against being disappointed in yourself, noticing that this fight is not half as ferocious as it was to get the nicotine.

10. Within a few hits, feel dizzy, cough a little, smell the stink, and realize you are re not going to stop smoking that cigarette, you will keepmsmoking despite the bad feelings, and wish you had not given in.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Or... In my case it has been...

Have "just one" down the pub, and enjoy it, and have no further cravings...

The following week...

Have "just one" (after all it worked last time)... and maybe another one... and have no further cravings...

A few days later having a bad day at work... 'Borrow' a smoke of a work mate... It's fine... You aren't addicted anymore... Smoke it... and have no further cravings...

It's the weekend again... So you borrowed about 3 or 4 tonight... no big deal... no cravings

Damn those Monday morning blues... buy a pack on the way to work, and smoke "just one"... still not got a craving... pretty sure anyway...

Monday night, you had a crappy day at work... Well... You've got a pack now... may as well have another one... or two...

Tuesday morning after getting to work... ya know... I've got that packet of smokes... May as well have one...

A few hours later... another one wouldn't hurt...

etc...

And within a blink of the eye you're on a pack a day again. This is the slippery smoke.

I've said it before and made myself very unpopular, you can have "just one" with no particular repercussions if you have the will not to have another one, however, it is VERY easy to have another one... and another one... and it's those ones that will get you hooked again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cringe whenever I hear somebody say that they're "going to try and quit smoking".  I guess I cringe because it reminds me of myself and my failed attempts.  Trying something should be reserved for things like bungee jumping, roller skating, different types of food etc., not something that is going to impact the rest of your life and is a matter of life or death.

It's not hard to quit.  We will make it as hard or easy and we want to, but make no mistake about it, trying it out for size ain't gonna cut it.

• Like 1

Or... In my case it has been...Have "just one" down the pub, and enjoy it, and have no further cravings...The following week...Have "just one" (after all it worked last time)... and maybe another one... and have no further cravings...A few days later having a bad day at work... 'Borrow' a smoke of a work mate... It's fine... You aren't addicted anymore... Smoke it... and have no further cravings...It's the weekend again... So you borrowed about 3 or 4 tonight... no big deal... no cravingsDamn those Monday morning blues... buy a pack on the way to work, and smoke "just one"... still not got a craving... pretty sure anyway...Monday night, you had a crappy day at work... Well... You've got a pack now... may as well have another one... or two...Tuesday morning after getting to work... ya know... I've got that packet of smokes... May as well have one...A few hours later... another one wouldn't hurt...etc...And within a blink of the eye you're on a pack a day again. This is the slippery smoke.I've said it before and made myself very unpopular, you can have "just one" with no particular repercussions if you have the will not to have another one, however, it is VERY easy to have another one... and another one... and it's those ones that will get you hooked again.

If nicotine weren't addictive, then will power would work in stopping me from having that second smoke. I've never been one of those people with willpower, anyway. Except the will to continue to get those substances I have been hooked on! For me, the above scenario does seem to have led to repercussions, though.

I can sure relate with the mind set and excuses, though. My brain goes to a similar place; just can't express it as well as you did!

It is amazing to me how addictive nicotine is. So many people still get thoughts after many years of quitting. I wonder if other drugs are like this. Do ex heroin or cocaine addicts have thoughts about getting high 20 years later?

Just reading this gave me chills, in a bad way.

Reminded me big time of last time I quit and relapsed after 4 months.

Honest to Pete, one has to get their mind right - and for gawd's sake stop idealizing smoking.

It's gross, expensive, doesn't do a thing for you, makes you real sick if not dead, etc etc.

• 7 years later...

“5. Follow-up this idea with, "I have not smoked in ___ days/weeks/months/years" then add "I have not had any cravings" then add "I could have just one").”

This is the one that sank my first quit.   Made it 14 weeks and thought…just one.   We all know how that turns out and I smoked another 7 months before quitting for good

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1