The Price Of Smoking Down Under

BAT

Most of the price is made up of taxes. In the early 90s the Aussie government bought in a prohibitive pricing policy to phase out smoking... Initially this was 2% increase twice a year...in the mid naughties this was upped to a 9% a year increase per year (3x 3% Inc's per annum). Then in 2016 the annual increase was set at 12.5% per year (4.5, 4 & 4) up to and including 2020...at this stage I am not sure what the plan is come 2021...oh and the excise tax is before the 10% GST.  The tobacco excise is supposed to support quit initiatives and go into the health system....not sure that happens though.

So even as a smoker I was pro inhibitive pricing....yes the argument is it just punishes the poor and creates class divide but I am that poor...well more like working class....still see it as a positive step.

40 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

I don't know how folks in Australia can afford to smoke ...

I couldn't anymore! Would much rather spend me hard earned on other stuff.

Edited by notsmokinjo
Reason....the bit about 2020 and 2021
  • Like 4

G’day 

I was just getting to $1 a cig when I quit. They say it’s more like $1.5 now!

Our notes go $5 $10 $20 $50 and $100.

A smoker told me if you want to buy a pack of cigs with a single note you need a $50...!

More than one packet a $100.....!

Thats mind numbing. It was hard enough finding the money 4 years ago but now? 

I suppose when I think about it the extra tax went to subsidising the champix that was my crutch ( or pole vault ). I seem to remember 3 months cost my about 3 packets of cigs back then even....

• Like 4

Mindless habit, whatever way you look at it, one of my favorite things to think about was, " How happy I felt not giving any money to the Government in taxes"

As a deterrent this video could have the opposite effect it would sure convince some to not start smoking. It is also a positive re enforcement for those who have stopped. For those who are still smoking Shaming just makes people angry and doesn't achieve anything. 

• Like 3