Do You Talk To Friends About Their Smoking?

Thanks for all the valuable input fellow quitters👍 I appreciate every comment. I'm still a bit on the fence about this but likely wom't bring it up if not in a perfect situation. I'll see how things go next time out and will let y'all know  🎣  

• Like 3

On 8/4/2019 at 10:24 PM, jillar said:

If you did a poll of our members I'm betting you will find that 90% of them or more had someone tell them they should quit years before they actually decided to quit. I hated when people told me and I promised myself I wouldn't be that kind of ex smoker. I do however love to give advice to anyone who says they are thinking of quitting or trying to quit. 

Anybody who was born after 1965 (surgeon general report) very likely started seeing and hearing of all the dangers in school and on TV by the time they were old enough to contemplate smoking or maybe even experimenting with smoking, I certainly did.  

And if you were born after 1975, you have definitely seen it all your life.  

Despite all of that I still started smoking .

I don’t think anyone can say “I didn’t know” or even “no one told me” after the surgeon general report

Personally I am not going to tell anyone that they should stop.   I will gladly encourage and educate anyone who asks me though, and also sneak in a boast  about myself in the process 

• Like 5

As a new quitter, I wanted to tell everyone that could quit too, that they didn't need to be tied to the habit.  If I could do it, they certainly could.

Now, I'll only talk to someone if they ask me for input.

Over the last couple of years, I've talked to a few people who asked me and my success rate is 0.  Only 1 person has quit a few times going a few months last time but think he's smoking again now.

• Like 2

I suppose our perspective changes (a lot) once we are successful quitters and we want to "save the smoking world" but to no avail 😞 

Makes sense actually because that unwavering commitment that comes from deep down inside all quitters is something you can't persuade someone to gather. they gotta do that themselves.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2019 at 6:58 PM, JimHannoonen said:

I don't have a single friend that smokes, so I don't really have anyone to lecture.

That said, if I was in your situation, I would say something. Probably something along the lines of "Dude, you sound like sh*t. Have you considered quitting smoking?" and see where it goes from there. If he was interested, I'd turn into a preacher. If he wasn't, I'd say "You're funeral,. dude" and carry on fishing.

So if he were semi-interested, would you turn into the preacher for his funeral?