Ripped Off and Angry

Struggler

Firstly thank goodness this forum exists.  I have been feeling angry and frustrated all day and thinking...."one.  just one will help today"...haven't done that - YET

Ripped Off - quitting smoking is meant to be good for you!   

This is day 13 for me.  I started off really well, but I've been sooooo tired for the last few days I've been unable to achieve anything which has really annoyed me - I have heaps of housework to do.  I even slept night before last/all yesterday/all last night.  I had aching legs.  Incredible hunger - driven to junk after I've eaten a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Feeling fat and can't do anything about exersize feeling this way.  Did a fair bit of walking around the shops the other day and came home exhausted.  So low have had spates of crying.   

So angry - when am I going to feel better for not smoking rather than feeling let down by all the disappointment?

Edited by Struggler
  • Like 5

Struggler, these early three weeks can be tough. You've made a smart move in choosing to be free of the chain of addiction. 

I'm seven months down the line now and can honestly say it does get so much easier as long as you don't fall into the trap of listening to the addiction and going for the just one. It would only end in a vicious cycle. 

I was told when I quit that the first three weeks were hell, heck and WTF weeks respectively. 

Day 13 is huge, you should be massively proud of getting here. All of the symptoms you have are absolutely typical and common with the early experience of other quitters. You are having them because you smoked not because you quit. I can tell you that I had similar and improvements were gradual. I promise you will feel better, but it takes time to reflect and can be a good idea to write down your experiences so it is easier to look back on and see the difference. Today is another day just like the previous 12, get through it. You get through today that's another one you win and the addiction loses. 

Stay strong, stay with us. Rant, ask questions. Be here with us and let us help you get through today and then tomorrow and the following day if you want. 

Edited by Sslip
  • Like 5

Hi and welcome Struggler...

Yep quitting isn't for wimps.!!!!

Your body is.... a littlle shall we say....in confusion....

It's had poison pumped in to it for years..20 or more times a day...it takes time to adjust 

All the things you are experiencing is normal....and it does get better..but this happens at a different pace..for different folks...

Be patient...be kind to  yourself ..pamper yourself..treat yourself...because what you are doing is flippin Amazin...

Stay close to the train.we will help you along on your journey ....

• Like 6

Welcome Struggler and well done on being 13 days smoke free.

Everyone is different and every quit is different... so I started feeling better around week 6.... but for others it was much sooner... and then others it was further out still. As Sslip said, its not because you have quit that you are feeling like this, its because you used to smoke. It will pass... the third week can be a bit of a kicker, its like the nicotine receptors (aka the nicodemon or nicob1tch) say, "hey Strugglers frickin serious this time... right lets just make this a bit harder".... I promise you it gets better and easier. You have to bristle up, grit your teeth and hang onto that knot at the end of the rope until this passes because it will pass and you will feel wonderful & fabulous.

• Like 5

Hi Struggler hope you are still with us. I wanted to get the earlier post in as quickly as possible while still getting in a little bit of information. So, are you clear in what your motivation is for quitting? Have you written them down so that you can refer to them during the moments that will challenge you? 

For me the most important thing in my quit was the mental aspect of the addiction. I was sick and tired of itching to get away from the loved ones in my life in order to get my nicotine fix. I was resentful of not being present in important moments because my nicotine levels had dropped. This has improved dramatically since I quit. It did so quickly, but obviously it was replaced in the short term with the symptoms of quitting. Breathing improved within a few weeks and has continued to get better. It is great to wake up in the morning particularly with windows open and just be able to lay there for 5 minutes taking deep fresh breaths. Physically I'm fitter, I treated myself to a swimming pool membership with the money I saved inside the first month. In terms of experience I've been able to book a dream vacation with the money I've saved in the subsequent six months. Mentally I'm fitter because I'm not wasting precious money, health and time with my family. I know several months will look like a long stretch in front of you right now, but I did that by committing just one day at a time. 

Do shout if there is anything we can help you with or if you want to talk or even if you just want to scream. 

If would be good to hear from you. 

• Like 6

We are all nicotine addicts and you are expressing the voice of the addict right now.

You must separate your thoughts from the junkie thoughts, this will take some discipline.

Each day is a new day, a different day and the junkie will think of new torture techniques.

You must kick them to the curb, you have quit smoking and YOU ARE THE BOSS.

Things get better....then you may have a rotten day....then things get better....

Quitting Smoking Is A Journey, a journey that leads to marvelous self-discovery and self-respect.

Please hold on !  You are stronger than any crave.

You quit smoking !  Congratulations !

Here are some of the things our junkie self says to us Red Flags

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 5

Listening to Joel's videos constantly, which helped educate me in nicotine addiction and the things my brain and body tells me, along with becoming obsessed with this board, helped tremendously to get me through the initial rough period. Like you, I walked to help quieten the urges, became an expert in making Hummus; it makes any vegetable edible! I kept asking "when does it get better" also. Just search my posts! I was a four pack a day chain smoker, and I have 4 years now. Everyone is different as far as when the "magical day" comes. That's what we want, right? Waking up free of the thought and urge to smoke, smoke, smoke until we die. I had about 3 months off nicotine in any form when I realized I had had almost an entire day of not wanting a cigarette. The important thing to remember:

Everyday it gets better! Interspersed with 3 minutes of an occasional craving. That's what I learned from Joel: cravings generally start to abate after 3 minutes. Weird, huh? Seems a lifetime when I'm having one. Except, it has been a long time since I had any intense cravings. Yeah!

One minute at a time, then one day at a time, then weeks....keep doing it. A few uncomfortable months beats the hell out of helping someone smoke a cigarette through the hole in her throat (I did that, years ago, for a patient dying in the hospital of lung cancer. And I hoped desperately that there would be someone to do the same for me, since I was pretty sure I'd get there eventually.)

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/9520-greetings-from-joel-spitzer/

Edited by Aine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello struggler,  how are you doing.?

Really glad you posted, you've got fantastic advice here.. I just wanted to welcome you and say...

I remember the early days well. I spent many a night staring at the ceiling and by morning not wanting to get out of my bed (given the choice I wouldn't have) My house was a tip and the laundry was only done when it was ABSOLUTELY  necessary?. My emotions were all over the place, but what you have to remember is, your body is trying it's damnedest to heal itself and it is amazing how fast that happens but you need to focus on keeping your quit no matter what.. lots of us commit to a daily NOPE and take it one day at a time.. It really does help and it might help you too..

It does get better I promise.. 

• Like 4

Welcome struggler I hope you're feeling a little better now. You've been given great advice from our awesome members so go easy on yourself. These feelings won't last forever and one day soon you will wake up in the best mood ever with not a thought of smoking so hang in there. Thirteen days is fantastic! :)

• Like 3

Hi everyone!  Thank you all so much for your support - I certainly needed it when & after I posted.  I am doing better than I was and I DIDN'T have a cigarette!  (Yippee!).

I did have a horrid couple of days and I get very impatient - I gave up smoking because I knew I had to so I could start getting into some sort of exercise and start to lose a terrible amount of weight I've put on over the last 3 years.  Very tough 3 years I've had and I have to learn that it's going to take time to get where I want to go - I've really done very well so far, with help from the universe/etc who/whatever I think.  I just get very impatient and I want to be where I want to get to NOW!!

In the words of Dave Graney (Australian musician) - "You want to be there, but you don't want to travel"

I saw the incredible lack of energy I experienced over those few days as a road block I couldn't pass.  Hopefully now I have and thanks to you all who have helped me greatly ?

Edited by Struggler
addition
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Struggler said:

In the words of Dave Graney (Australian musician) - "You want to be there, but you don't want to travel" 

Heard him rock that at the Espy... great Melbourne muso... Oh have to hunt out my Dave Graney & The Coral Snake CDs now... thanks for the memory jolt.

So as Dave also said... "the word is nah" (but lets make it NOPE)... you are doing so well with this quit... you will have other days like that but each time one comes it is less powerful than the last until... no more days like that no more. "You Need To Suffer"... but soon you will be through that and you will be celebrating your freedom.

• Like 3

Struggler, it's really important at this time to have patience with yourself, be kind to yourself and treat yourself well. Try not to take on too much at once. You will have more time on your hands when your quit is solid, you will feel physically better. In the meantime, just give yourself the respect and kudos you deserve for kicking the cigarettes. 

Glad you are feeling a little better today and here's to more days like this. 

• Like 4

I agree...be kind to yourself !!!....

Quitting is a journey.... Minute by minute....once you get a good comfortable quit going.,then you may want to tackle something else...

A few folks here...turned to excersise.... Running.....losing weight....

The magic will happen ...

• Like 3