Ice Hockey ... Need some splaining please

notsmokinjo

@reciprocity I only barrack for the Leafs now, I just roll like that, but I will cheer for the Caps... as as per previous posts I can not under any circumstances cheer for a team that weres black and yellow. There is no way I will follow a team that has a prima donna sissy boy as their captain who needs a whole bottle of frickin concrete pills to harden the fruck up.

@Whispers kinda with @Sslip, don't get the best of 7, never have, our finals are like your 7th... its do or die, no tomorrow. Here are some footy (my footy not that UK footy) goons... gotta love the bump.

Here are some bumps... sorta, kinda, legal..

I was gunna post the top 10 enforcers but see as 5 of them were from my club I thought nah..

2 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

@reciprocity I only barrack for the Leafs now, I just roll like that, but I will cheer for the Caps... as as per previous posts I can not under any circumstances cheer for a team that weres black and yellow. There is no way I will follow a team that has a prima donna sissy boy as their captain who needs a whole bottle of frickin concrete pills to harden the fruck up.

@Whispers kinda with @Sslip, don't get the best of 7, never have, our finals are like your 7th... its do or die, no tomorrow. Here are some footy (my footy not that UK footy) goons... gotta love the bump.

Here are some bumps... sorta, kinda, legal..

I was gunna post the top 10 enforcers but see as 5 of them were from my club I thought nah..

Footy is like rugby out here, the reason its so hard is you gotta win 4 series and 16 games to win the cup! Football out here is one game but any team can have 1 good game or 1 bad game. Winning 1 game is easier, baseball/basketball both have 7 game series as well. I love football but a game like that those players cant handle all of those hits if they had to play a long series

That's kind of the thing with these drawn out hockey playoffs. No question it's generating a hell of a lot of $$$ for everyone. The league, the teams, the venues, the cities involved but holly hell - if you went 7 games for three series back to back to back - that's gotta be punishing. It's fast paced and not for the faint of heart either in terms of hitting and what not. They should probably have best of 5 game series for the first round or two but the revenue loss would be too much so that will never happen. A single game would never fly in hockey, basketball or baseball. Any team can have a sh*t game on any given day or night. The idea is to have the prize go to the most deserving team - not one who just happened to be firing on all cylinders for 1 game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

That's kind of the thing with these drawn out hockey playoffs. No question it's generating a hell of a lot of $$$ for everyone. The league, the teams, the venues, the cities involved but holly hell - if you went 7 games for three series back to back to back - that's gotta be punishing. It's fast paced and not for the faint of heart either in terms of hitting and what not. They should probably have best of 5 game series for the first round or two but the revenue loss would be too much so that will never happen. A single game would never fly in hockey, basketball or baseball. Any team can have a sh*t game on any given day or night. The idea is to have the prize go to the most deserving team - not one who just happened to be firing on all cylinders for 1 game.

Yup, The movie... Any given Sunday! Good movie and a great line from it "a team can win or lose on any given Sunday"

See having a shit day is no excuse for a loss... you loose, you loose mate... you can't tell me games 1-3 are played with the same intesity as a game 7... I reckon revenue plays a big part of it... anyway as I said above I'm frickin loving it, I'm converted, just have to deprogram 41 years of conditioning that the best team on the day is the best team, you don't bring your A game there is no second chance cos you have to leave it all on the field.

Anyway of any of you ever want to see the best example of a game of footy (AFL, Aussie Rules... cos yes we invented it and its nothing like rugby or gridiron) watch the 1989 Grand final... 5 seconds into the game one team took out the other teams enforcer off the ball, breaking his ribs... he played the whole 2 hour game (match time, they have to 10min breaks & 1 20min break) and then left the ground and spent the week in hospital with a punctured lung. Another player played after having his sternum broken.. Its fast, its over a huge ground and its physical... best sport on earth..

I don't understand any of the rules of "rugby" as it's called here so watching it is difficult because I haven't a clue what they're doing or why but ..... I would agree it is probably the most physically demanding and brutal sport out there. They are all pretty demanding on a professional level but you wouldn't catch me on a rugby field for any amount of $$ - that's for sure :63_astonished:

Aussie Rules is not rugby... completely different sports... Aussie Rules is a sport we invented over 100 years ago, which is a cross between an Aboriginal game  (mangrook) and Gaelic (irish) football that is played on a cricket oval with a rugbyish shaped ball... completely different.... I didn't know anything about ice hockey and I've managed to pick up a bit in a pretty short amount of time... wait, did you just go fishing Reci???

Having a shit day happens, people also play sick etc. Every human has an off day. As far as tough sport, hockey is one. .. I played football broke my wrist finger tapped it up and kept playing. People played with all that broken ribs before players association started with law suits years after. Concussions etc. Hockey is not the same as it was years go. Its more fast not as physical and less fights. I play hoops and when we go jail house rules a cheap shot got an elbow in the head . Footy and rugby look the same to me

:( footy and rugby don't look the same... rugby looks like gridiron without all the padding and helmets... footy looks like school yard chaos... and your fishing to aren't you?

Olympic medals aren't for best of whatevers... they are a one shot at glory only option... but meh... it just means more sport for me to watch who cares if its different, aye.

Just now, notsmokinjo said:

:( footy and rugby don't look the same... rugby looks like gridiron without all the padding and helmets... footy looks like school yard chaos... and your fishing to aren't you?

Olympic medals aren't for best of whatevers... they are a one shot at glory only option... but meh... it just means more sport for me to watch who cares if its different, aye.

You couldnt have school yard chaos on TV here, not in New York. If the kids starting playing that the death rate would skyrocket. I'm not fishing

7 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I was just trying to get you riled up Jo - lol. I don;t even watch the North American sports much let alone  the more "European" ones. Can't stand soccer because I don't understand the strategies etc and there's almost no scoring. On the other hand, I can't watch basketball either and the scoring there is almost meaningless it's so frequent. Isn't it nice that we have all this variety to choose from though?

I used to watch golf too, back in the day when I played that game. Now - forget it!! Threw my clubs, bag and all in the bushes last time I played golf and drove away in my car without them. Just got pissed off with the game and have never played again :)

• Haha 1

And, what the heck's going on with this Las Vegas team? They are already ahead 4-0 in game 1 of their second series?

I don't even recognize many names on this team so, how do they make it this far in their 1st year?? Beginner's luck?

OK... back on topic... the Offside Rule.... have I got this right??

1. The play is offside, not the player

2. A play is offside if any player on the attacking team enters the offensive side of the rink (not ground or field) before the pack does AND the offensive team touches the puck before it goes back into their defensive side of the rink.

3. If that happens the linesmen stop play. 

Did I nail that?

5 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

OK... back on topic... the Offside Rule.... have I got this right??

1. The play is offside, not the player

2. A play is offside if any player on the attacking team enters the offensive side of the rink (not ground or field) before the pack does AND the offensive team touches the puck before it goes back into their defensive side of the rink.

3. If that happens the linesmen stop play. 

Did I nail that?

But did I get this right?

@barry, @reciprocity, @Whispers  seriously have I got offside right... I'm hoping so cos I still haven't worked out the stupid soccer offside rule with its 563 exemptions, oops sorry 564 I forgot if the person nearest the goal stubs their toe and trips over a blade of glass.

Edited by notsmokinjo

Follow/don’t follow. Barrack/root/cheer or not.  This Vegas team is for real!  7-0. And there’s still 11 minutes left. 

Not gonna go back and look but whoever said hockey wasn’t hard...I’d bet they’ve never laced on skates, much less played a period of competitive hockey at any level.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I believe you got the Offside Rule correct. No Offensive player can be over the oppositions Blue Line before the puck. If they are,

the official stops play only when a player for the offensive team makes contact with the puck. If they don't make contact, it's a delayed offside. If all the offensive players get back over to their side of the oppositions blue line before they touch the puck then the delayed offside is waved off.

Oh and years ago, there used to be a "2-line pass" offside rule. They got rid of that one though

Now - splain "Icing" to us :15_yum:

2 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Now - splain "Icing" to us :15_yum:

OK... this one makes more sense than offside we have rules for similar reasons in Aussie Rules (Time Wasting & Deliberate Out Off Bounds) so its a rule to ensure continuous play .... I think I might even have it worked out...

So icing is when a player on team #1 shoots the puck across 2 redlines (ie the centre red line and Team #2s goal line) untouched and the puck is first touched again by team #2. The penalty is a face off (face off is the same as field hockey so no new knowledge required) in team #2s offensive side.

Exemptions:

a. If it happens when the team is short handed during a PP (yes I know PP is power play and I know hockey PPs are different to Cricket 20/20 PPs)

b. If the puck is collected by either Team1's goalie or another player from Team 1 touches it first, then the icing rule doesn't apply.

18 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

OK... this one makes more sense than offside we have rules for similar reasons in Aussie Rules (Time Wasting & Deliberate Out Off Bounds) so its a rule to ensure continuous play .... I think I might even have it worked out...

So icing is when a player on team #1 shoots the puck across 2 redlines (ie the centre red line and Team #2s goal line) untouched and the puck is first touched again by team #2. The penalty is a face off (face off is the same as field hockey so no new knowledge required) in team #2s offensive side.

Exemptions:

a. If it happens when the team is short handed during a PP (yes I know PP is power play and I know hockey PPs are different to Cricket 20/20 PPs)

b. If the puck is collected by either Team1's goalie or another player from Team 1 touches it first, then the icing rule doesn't apply.

I believe you have it correct except, the resulting face-off goes back to Team #1's end of the ice if Team #1 shot the puck into Team #2's end.

• Thanks 1