Everything posted by Sazerac
- Foods for Healthy Lungs
-
My Cigarette, My friend......
- How Nicotine Works
- Foods for Healthy Lungs
10 Foods To Keep Your Lungs Strong And Healthy • Pistachios provide a type of vitamin E, Gama-tocopherol, a defense against various types of lung cancer. • Cayenne Pepper, effective at fighting and diminishing cough and sore throat. Provides support against cold and flu. Try a concoction of hot water, honey, lemon juice, cayenne. Effective for people suffering from bronchial congestion and respiratory ailments, breaking down congested mucus. • Broccoli, high in antioxidants, containing NRF-2 dependent characteristics and is among the best green foods for lungs. It is beneficial for people suffering from COPD. • Carrots, a source of vitamins A and C. Vitamin A influences the health of your lungs. Carrots also contain lycopene, zeaxanthin, and lutein which are powerful cancer-fighting agents. * Vitamin C helps get rid of many lung disorders. • Onions contain quercetin, a natural anti-oxidant. Research has shown that this anti-oxidant helps prevent lung cancer and many other lung diseases. Vitamins B6 and C that provide self-healing power to the body. • Oranges contain vitamins B6 and C and iron which help the lungs transfer oxygen to cells more effectively, contains anti-oxidant, beta-cryptoxanthin, good for lung health. • Fish are a rich source of vitamin D. Insufficient levels of Vitamin D may lead to loss of lung function. Fish also contains high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids which provide a boost to the entire body. These fatty acids also act as a shield against lung cancer. • Red wine, a source of resveratrol, an anti-oxidant and helps get rid of free radicals which are the main cause of cancer. Eating a food rich in anti-oxidants provides your lungs with extra protection against diseases and disorders. Red wine contains pteristilbene which catalyzes the job of resveratrol, providing benefits more efficiently. • Walnuts, a vegetarian sources of fatty Omega-3 acids. Walnuts help fight against asthma and other ailments related to respiration. One serving of a handful of walnuts daily is recommended. * Here is a link to 'Tomatoes May Restore Lung Damage'- Funny Story
Congratulations on EIGHT days nicotine free, Christa. You are rockin' this quit. Stay focused and vigilant and alert to any red flags that may pop up.- Tammy is 2 Months Smoke Free!
- Quitting is a journey, not an event
bump- Hello everyone
Here is a thread about how we got through the first weeks please add your own tricks Your First Days Nicotine Free- Hello everyone
You have made myself and a whole lot of people very happy with your decision to quit smoking because we know how great it is to be free of nicotine ! You will be amazed at your inner strength and your power ! and this will affect all portions of your life in a beautiful way. Take each moment at a time....each crave is just another opportunity for you to acknowledge and expose your power. Commit to NOPE and you will succeed. I know the first days/weeks/months will have their challenges but, it will all be worth it, I promise you. Post all of your feelings and thoughts...others will get great inspiration from you. Thank you so much for joining us, now, breathe the nice clean air and treat yourself to something special. You have just made one of the best decisions in your life. Love, S- Hello everyone
Hello Blur, You communicate very well ! To have a successful quit you must educate yourself about nicotine addiction. Read all you can here and everywhere and watch all the gory movies. Commit to NOPE Not One Puff Ever You may find this thread helpful 10 Ways to Effectively Use This Forum I look forward to your presence here and will help you in anyway I can. We all will.- Really feeling like I can't do this.
YAY ! I am so relieved to see your post, Linda. Go reward yourself for the incredible work you are doing for yourself. Make it something really, really special. Special enough so you remember it. 'This is my reward for beating an unruly and gruesome crave'- Really feeling like I can't do this.
You don't have one good reason to smoke. Not ONE. You can power through any crave because you are not a smoker anymore. Read, Scream, Dance Do anything but smoke. You don't have one good reason to blow your quit. Celebrate your 18/19 days...reward yourself ! You quit smoking ! That is awesome, Linda!- Do other addictions suck just as much?
There is debate on whether caffeine is addictive but, it changes your brain in much the same way as nicotine and the way I over indulged would signal an addiction. Quitting caffeine was gruesome physically/emotionally for two weeks and now I don't really care about it. Quitting nicotine was not physically gruesome but, it took more than a year to re-claim my thoughts and that was often a serious wrangle in which I was determined to triumph. Other drugs, psychotropics-amphetamines-soporifics, I did socially but, they never grabbed me. Oh wait....I did two weeks of Xanax when on a visit to my Mother and Evil Sisters. (ignorant of X's addictive properties) Quit cold turkey when I got home. That was fcuked up...awful, anxiety ridden crash. I found out later that you aren't supposed to cold turkey with X, you're supposed to Valium through. (and then de-tox from V ? ) The Blessed Herb is still my friend, but, I can put it down no problem and I'm not partaking in Demon Rum because of BP issues. but, hey don't mess with me ! I will have to kill myself if I can no longer sniff underwear.- Finally found from QSMB
Hello Niecie ! Congratulations on your quit ! There are many QSMB'ers here and they are awesome. Please jump right in and post to your hearts content, let us know if you need assistance of any kind.- No Man,s Land !!!
Hi Tammy, I am so glad you have quit smoking and are beginning to really appreciate your freedom, your 'feel good' endorphins are starting to work for YOU and not being stolen by nicotine. Please remember to reward yourself ! Read this, if you will, The Significance of Rewards Please celebrate every crave you beat ! Soon, all this will be a memory and a memory that you will be able to harvest many lessons that will help you in all areas of your life. p.s. I hope you and yours stay safe during the monsoons ! The news and weather reports from your part of the world have been worrisome.- Our Gardens
This morning, a Caterpillar leaning backwards on a Gardenia stem and will hang from its tail to become a chrysalis. Not sure yet of the butterfly it will become, right now it is eating itself into a coma.- Animation about Addiction called, 'Nuggets'
- The Zen of Quitting Smoking
- Why N.O.P.E is a must!
Exactly ! Addiction doesn't go away. We must commit to Not One Puff EVER. That means Never Ever Forever !- Posting an S.O.S.
- Jackie and Linda.!!!
I am always so happy to see Linda's NOPE ! Now worried that Jackie is MIA. She'll be back, I have confidence in the lass and she knows we love her...right ?- Whip it Good.
The lashing was so painful, I was rendered speechless but, for the last few days every mutherfoya crossing my path has gotten an frigging' earful, I'll tell ya.- Maybe we should remind ourselves of why we Quit !!!!
I was in complete denial about health issues (yes, I had a cough....la la la la la) and ignorant about addiction (I like to smoke...la la la la la). The issue of freedom was niggling at me. Constantly checking if I had enough smokes and fire, where they were and negotiating when/where I could smoke 'em... the slavery of it all was beginning to rear it's ugly truth. I quit on a whim to see if I had the moxie. I did. Anyone reading this should know that they have the moxie too. Education and Intent will set you free.- Hello (Intro)
Hi Christa, Yep I am a cold turkey quitter. I am glad it is easier for you this time....at least for the first few days. Do not be surprised or afraid if some moments or days are gruesome...this is only temporary. Reality checks....health scares are brilliant motivators. I just quit caffeine after a BP event. Life without coffee IS possible. Getting smoking off your mind is the challenge. Replacing smoky thoughts with something life affirming, something beautiful was a key component to my quit. Education also. The concept of HALT really helped me. When you have a crave are you Hungry, Angry, Lonesome, Tired ? Distinguishing between a nic fit and a bona fide need made a huge difference. We neglected our real needs for so long. Here is a thread about HALT, be sure to follow Bab's link about HALT too. and have a look at how we managed the First Days Nicotine Free and be sure to add your own tricks too. Read read read read and know that you are stronger than any crave.- Hello (Intro)
Welcome Christa and happy three days of freedom. How are you feeling ?
Important Information
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.