Everything posted by Chrysalis
-
WOW!! Another benefit...Life Insurance
Gee, Nancy, if you add your life insurance savings to what you save on cigarettes you're talking real dough here! What are you going to do with your new-found wealth?
-
Bye bye, Sis
My sister just left for the airport to go home. I did NOT fight with her this week. I did NOT smoke. Hooray for both of us! Basically, we stayed out of each other's way. We took different shifts staying with Mom at the hospital. During the few hours that we were in the same house, we stayed in different rooms and ate different meals at different times. We spoke as often as necessary about Mom's condition and care and other than that we had nothing to say to each other. A sad state of affairs for sisters but surely better than the tension and screaming fights we have had in the past. Mom's condition is improving. She was really hit hard by the surgical anesthesia and was semi-comatose for the first 36 hours. Because she was laying in bed for so long being completely inert and non-responsive, my sister and I began to be concerned about her developing pneumonia (the #1 killer of elderly hospitalized patients). So Friday night I stayed in her room all night and woke her up every 2 hours by rubbing ice water on her face so that she would wake up enough to breathe deeply and cough up any accumulated fluids. She got really mad at me for doing that but too bad. It worked. By Saturday afternoon she was awake enough to use that spirometer-thingy to get her lungs functioning so I was happy. Her vital signs are good. She's getting some early PT and hopefully will be able to transfer to a rehab hospital near her home on Monday or Tuesday. I'm telling you, this is one tough old bird! My sister and I did share a laugh the other day when we were marveling at our mother's toughness. We began to speculate that the only thing that would kill Mom would be a stake through her heart! Life is strange. At 92 with many serious injuries and disabilities and the loss of most friends and many loved ones, my mother has said many times that she is "ready to go". And yet each time the opportunity to die presents itself (like 3 heart attacks, a broken neck and now this surgery), she fights her way through it. I guess her life force is still strong in her. It's fascinating to watch. So I'm still in Tampa until Mom gets settled in a rehab facility. But I'm relieved about Mom's condition, relieved that I didn't fight with my sister, and relieved that I didn't smoke. Basically, just relieved all around! :) Thank you all for being there for me and thank you for your good wishes and your prayers. You really helped me to weather some of the rough times this past week. Hugs to all of you fine people ((( :wub: QT Friends!! :wub: )))
-
Mom's doing good
Just a quick note to let you know that my mother got through her surgery without any problems. Naturally, she will need close observation and aggressive pain management for the first 72 hours, but so far so good. Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. I'll write more later. PS-- I'm not smoking and not even jonesing about smoking. Hooray!
-
My Day 1 Poem
Marti, thank you for posting this here. As I said on your blog, you really captured the "Day 1" experience in a few well-chosen words. It's great for all of us to look back and be reminded how awful we felt in the beginning and how good we feel now. Your poem is a great example of and tribute to this journey we all share.
-
Found my day 1 poem
I love the poem, Marti! It's so honest and so evocative. You really captured the quit smoking experience! I just saw this here on your blog. Now I have to go find it on the Main Board. I'm so glad that you posted it there.
-
Sleep, at last :)
Oh, Sandy, what a relief that must be! I am so impressed with the way you hung in there through all this messed-up sleep pattern but still kept your quit. Ordinarily, I would say, "Go out and celebrate!" but in your case I will say, "Crawl into bed and celebrate!" Enjoy!
-
wow
Sammie, you have such a great attitude and spirit! I am sure that this is going to be your "sticky quit". Don't get too cocky-- continue to take things one day at a time-- but I think you're going to go all the way with this. Way to go, SAMMIE!!!
-
Better than expected
I am happy to report that so far things are going better here than I expected. In the first place, I'm feeling pretty calm about my mother's condition. She's resting comfortably in the hospital awaiting surgery this afternoon. The doctors and nurses are being good about controlling her pain (i.e., they are listening to me and accepting my advice :) ) I don't have to get aggravated about her care. What happens after the surgery remains to be seen. My sister and I have been able to peacefully discuss Mom's care and condition and other than that we stay out of each other's way. She is voluntarily smoking outside and not leaving her cigarettes laying around so that's a help to me. So thus far things are going better than I expected. The next 2 or 3 days will be critical, however. Please keep praying that things work out for the best for my mother (whatever that means).
-
First day: huge craving!!!
Hey, Natalie, according to your beautiful new ticker, you are now more than 12 hours into your quit. Good for you! At this point you should start to realize that nicotine withdrawal, while not pleasant, is not going to kill you-- there are ways you can deal with it. Keep reminding yourself about why you chose to quit. Keep your blood sugar up. Sip on ice water. Distract yourself with chores or fun. Breath slowly and deeply. Come here to post. You see? You're already developing all the skills you need to break free of smoking forever! And remember, it's going to get easier every day-- really it will. You've got a winning attitude going for you! You CAN do this!
-
Good time to vent!!
Florida in the summer is NOT my favorite place, regardless of which coast (I'm near Tampa). Mom was admitted to the hospital today for presurgical testing and, barring any problems, surgery is Thursday. Then several days of waiting to see how her body handled the surgery. She is very frightened (when we left the house to go to the hospital she said, "Good bye, house." like she was never going to see it again. UGH!) My estranged sister arrived this afternoon (not good news). Even worse, she quit smoking last year but has now relapsed. So between the smoke and the cigarettes laying around, the temptation is worse. DOUBLE UGH!! I know that there are plenty of people here who quit while their spouse continues (and my hat is off to you all) so this is just another excuse for my junkie brain to latch on to. But, brother, a smoker in the house is NOT something I need this week!!!
-
What worked for you?
Great post, Ava. I had the same realization and it helped me a lot, too. I think that broadly educating oneself about the nature of a nicotine addiction and how to overcome it is crucial. But in addition, I think that each us has one or a few "key points" that we repeat to ourselves during moments of stress or temptation. My personal "key point" that I repeated like a mantra, especially during the first few weeks, was, "You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke." which I did (and still do).
-
My Life as One Big Smoke Trigger
Great blog, Sazerac. You know, I wonder... Many people have said that one of the most important "benefits" of smoking is that it allowed them some distance from their emotions. Whenever they felt some strong emotion, the few minutes required to step outside, find, light and savor a cigarette gave them time to process those emotions and choose how to react. The rituals of smoking are also calming. Many people say that they feel emotions more strongly after quitting than before. Negative emotions, of course, but also positive emotions. Sort of like--when they feel bad they feel very, very bad. But when they feel good they feel GREAT!! For anyone involved in a creative pursuit where you have to reach down inside yourself and express your emotions for the world to see, I suspect that quitting smoking (or any other type of drug) will really throw a monkey wrench into your work for a while. You probably will have to push your way through it, force yourself to work when you are not feeling "comfortable" or "normal". Eventually you will get used to your new normal and you will be able to work easily again. I bet that your work product will be a little different than it was when you were smoking, and maybe that will be a good thing.
-
new quitter.....
Way to go, Sammie! You're doing just great! Keep on truckin'-- one day at a time. :)
- Daily exercise log for everyone :)
- Daily exercise log for everyone :)
-
day 3 is about go begin....
Way to go, Sammie! One day at a time, one hour at a time If you have to. But every single day now it will start to get better and better. I promise!
-
sos / vent
Buying bicycles is brilliant! It's not only wonderful exercise but it's a great way to bleed off some of the stress and boredom that happen during the first few weeks of a quit. And your healthier lungs will soon synergize with your stronger bicycling muscles to make your feel STRONG and HEALTHY and FIT!! Isn't that terrific??!! Next thing you know you will both join a cycling club and go for 50-mile cross country rides every weekend. (Uh oh! I think my fantasies are getting out of control here. :) ) Anyway, good decision, Wendy and her hubby!
-
Hello Again
Oh, by the way, Jeni, somebody here must have figured out a way to outsmart Nancy because there is no shortage of "Likes" on this site! You can "Like" and "Like" and "Like" to your heart's content! (So now I will expect you to "Like" every single post write! :) )
-
day 3 is about go begin....
Hey, Sammie, good for you for taking on Day 3. You grab that day by the horns and wrestle 'er to the ground, you hear??!!
-
Not looking forward to this...
Heading down to Florida tomorrow. Not looking forward to this but it's gotta be done so here I go... It's always a long, boring drive (7-8 hours). Thank God for talking books (free from our public library!).
-
first blog entry
Sammie said, "Am ready to face day 3 tomoro, bring it on man! Bring. It. On!!" That's the spirit, Sammie! Face that old Nicodemon and spit in his eye! Yes, you're going to feel miserable off and on for a couple of days, but things will start to get better very soon and you will be DONE with this crap! You go, girl! But don't hesitate to post an SOS if you think it will help.
-
Hello Again
Hi, Jen! I remember you from "the other place". I am absolutely certain that you can quit if you have made up your mind to do so and if you have effective support. I think "all systems are go" this time around, don't you? In the "SOS" forum there is a thread called "Pre Respond to your own SOS". I STRONGLY suggest that you write a letter to yourself telling yourself what you would want to hear if you start slipping into relapse. Include the 3 main reasons that you decided to quit. Read the whole thread, especially but not only your post. I think it will help you a lot. You are a smart, strong woman and you can totally DO this! You only have to want to quit more than you want to smoke, and I think that is true for you. Come on! You go, girl!
-
new quitter.....
Way to go, Sammie! You can do this! Yes you can! If you find yourself climbing the walls, be sure to check out the "Nonsmoking Cats" thread-- a lot of laughs and a great distraction. And remember, if you really think you might crack please post an SOS on the SOS forum and wait until you get 3 responses before you do anything foolish. People are in and out of here 24/7 so you won't have too long to wait even in the middle of the night.
-
Interior design types... please heed my call to arms :)
Hey, Christmas is perfect! Tell all your friends and relatives that you want stuff for your new room. I wonder... does Ikea have an online gift registry? :clapping:
-
Chrysalis has 5 months!!
Thanks, everybody. You're all so sweet and thoughtful! I very much appreciate that you let me speak my mind without jumping down my throat every time I turn around. I know that not all of you will agree with everything I say and visa versa, but I think it is educational and thought-provoking and hopefully helpful to some members to at least listen to each other's ideas.