Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MarylandQuitter

Administrators
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MarylandQuitter

  1. How are you doing, Ariel? Smoking and anxiety is a never-ending cycle. At the very least, smoking increases anxiety, when you think about quitting and not having nicotine that causes anxiety and then you could have anxiety for other reasons. I know how you can get rid of two of the causes. :) Short video discusses key topic areas that enhance an individuals ability to quit and stay off of smoking. The following videos explore these individual areas: Topic one: Why you smoke Video: Why do smokers smoke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9AmZ... 18 minutes 9 seconds Topic 2: Why you should quit Videos: Heart and circulatory diseases https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xt9v... 19 minutes 19 seconds Lung cancer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFNv8... 18 minutes 49 seconds Feel what it is like to breathe with emphysema https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0ts... 8 minutes and 47 seconds The palmolive bottle demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbUG... 7 minutes 46 seconds Premature deaths caused by smoking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5a7D... 12 minutes 34 seconds Topic 3: How to stop How to quit smoking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27zW... 13 minutes 47 seconds Topic 4: How to stay off Never take another puff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYNWI... 4 minutes 22 seconds Total time for all of the videos above is just around 91 minutes.
  2. Ben & Jerry's :) Landscaping Dive into a project at work Focus on how much easier it was to breathe Took notice that I no longer smelled like an ashtray and instead like the lilacs scent in my shampoo. I never knew. lol
  3. It's tough to fight through the initial urges and cravings early on but it's 100% doable. You have to get used to being uncomfortable so you can be comfortable again. It's short-lived - expect it, detect it and then reject the urges. How are you today?
  4. Dreams Of Smoking Video discusses the common experience of dreaming about smoking after quitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_gZx_6hq0I
  5. I Want One! Video discusses how to stop the internal debate that often occurs after quitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHvi6dwLanA Nicotine Is Nicotine Is Nicotine Video discusses how nicotine delivered by any source via any route of administration has the full potential of causing relapse to any former smoker or user of any nicotine product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KViTfIfHUv0&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB&index=6 I Will Control My Smoking Now One of the major reasons why some people relapse is because they have been off smoking a significant period of time and they begin to believe that they will now be able to control the way they will smoke. Video explains the full power of the grip that nicotine can take on an individual once it is administered and how they will likely end up smoking just as they had before and possibly even worse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kALov4eEK4w&index=50&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB
  6. Cold Turkey Quitting Redefined Video discusses that when you see or hear news reports related to studies comparing cold turkey quitting to other methods of cessation, the studies may actually have nothing to do with cold turkey quitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMA0OhCYVo0&feature=em-upload_owner Videos referred to in this video: -Cold turkey defined https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hcil... -Whatever you do, don't quit cold turkey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUSJL... Other related videos: Cold turkey quitting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWD6... -Is cold turkey the only way to quit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFycqB... -Comparing quits with others: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIlyDL... -Link to abstract of the study raising the issue discussed in this video: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articl... Nicotine Is Nicotine Is Nicotine Video discusses how nicotine delivered by any source via any route of administration has the full potential of causing relapse to any former smoker or user of any nicotine product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KViTfIfHUv0&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB&index=6
  7. Hi Diana! Welcome aboard. :) You haven't wanted to go longer than a few weeks, it was a choice. You listened to that inner junkie and bought into every excuse you were telling yourself. I bet you're confusing depression with nicotine withdrawal but if you have depression, go see a doctor. There is absolutely no shame in that and why not feel better? Please watch this video. I think it will help you connect some dots. Quitting Smoking & Mental Health This video discusses how most people experience minor emotional reactions when first quitting, but also how people with pre-existing mental health issues may need physician assistance in dealing with problems that seem to be exacerbated after quitting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ysFk0-pQ3A&list=PL76365B6CE2DA076B Related article: Depression: A normal reaction or a real organic depressive effect: http://www.ffn.yuku.com/topic/12459 Related videos: The emotional stages of loss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk1ECG... Using cigarettes to self medicate pre-existing conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVk2Ve... Is anyone else experiencing the symptom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EJ3Ot... Is this a symptom of quitting smoking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5jbj... Life goes on without smoking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8nBjO...
  8. No need to question if you can do this because you can. Don't give yourself room to fail or a reason to continue smoking. Be bold. Take a seat and never take another puff. After all, it won't kill you. :)
  9. My favorite coffee is brewed by me. In fact, I'm drinking my first cup of the morning right now. :) Fresh coffee beans, filtered water (I use a Zero filter), a Bodum burr grinder and a Technivorm Moccamaster brewer. Grinding the beans immediately before each pot and never, ever let coffee sit and cook on a warmer, never let it sit longer than 20 minutes and the right dosing makes for a perfect cup of all that is good. :) Folgers reminds me of the dark days before enlightenment. :read:
  10. Food tastes better after you quit because you can actually taste it. I remember this well and just know, Ben & Jerry's little pints of ice cream can be eaten in one sitting. :dirol: Weight Control Concerns After Quitting Smoking Video discusses why many people gain weight after quitting and what steps can be taken to avoid this from happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgIWjMkoco4
  11. Making the decision to quit is huge and then remaining smoke-free is even a bigger deal. Congrats!!
  12. 33,656 plus some cigars.
  13. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Evelyn said it best; "No ******* nicotine, no smoking or vaping". That is all that needs to be done and that is to take non-action and don't smoke. If you want to toss a toad over your right shoulder at midnight in some cemetery to help you quit smoking, I'll provide you the toad. However, you seem to be really be pushing this EFT here and also elsewhere so it leads me to believe that you have an agenda or than offering support here. I do not believe that all these different facets that make up EFT will remove cravings whether in aggregate or alone. When I saw your first post I almost flagged you as a spammer but figured I would give it some time. Until you can show real data showing success rates vs. relapse rates, it means nothing as our methods here do have data to support them. There is no glory sucking on an oxygen tube or not being able to breath, but there is value in dealing with withdrawal cravings and remaining smoke-free without the use of something that promises to alleviate all of the uncomfortable (yet temporary) issues when it comes to quitting nicotine. I think I'll pass on the EFT because I've already quit, in case you haven't noticed.
  14. You know what else is free? NTAP! Never take another puff. Nobody needs to use the a placebo effect like EFT as they have access to the real cure, don't ever take another puff. You see, quitting smoking can be uncomfortable at the beginning - big deal, we're all used to the feeling of being uncomfortable. Those of my generation and before, learned that being uncomfortable is just a part of life. Folks, you don't need a trick to quit. NRT works well for some so long as the goal is to get off of nicotine completely and to stay that way. Medications work for some while for others they don't. If you use NRT or medication you're eventually going to have to go through withdrawal and with meds you will 20 minutes after you take your last puff. There is no science to EFT, yet it is presented as such. The problem that I have with this sort of thing is that gives the smoker the impression that they have little to no control over quitting smoking. With NRT or medications they are at least backed up with clinical trials and scientific data, which by the way both have lower success rates than those who quit using the cold turkey method. Make no mistake, in the end it's you on your own keeping your commitment to never take another puff. When a smoker feels they are fighting something that they cannot win on their own, it gives an excuse to relapse, which there truly isn't any excuse to do so. Relapse is serious and it's not something that I play patty-cake about. This is life or death and there is no way I would ever condone somebody feeling quitting is just too hard or out of their control because of some strong force that is just too great without the use of unscientific or proven methods to quit. Our methods are proven, EFT is not and is not something that I could ever stand behind because it makes a mountain out of molehill. Learning about nicotine addiction is hands down going to blow away EFT and it's peculiar methods. EFT may work for some things, I don't know, but as far as quitting smoking, we have a much faster and lasting method here at QuitTrain, NOPE. It is completely free and you don't have to confuse the process and literally wait on "pin and needles" to quit smoking. It's not going to make anything easier, certainly not withdrawals; it's something every smoker has to face and deal with. Some have them worse than others but sooner than later, the withdrawals are a thing of past and so too are the cravings to inhale nicotine. --------- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) is a form of counseling intervention that draws on various theories of alternative medicine including acupuncture, neuro-linguistic programming, energy medicine, and Thought Field Therapy (TFT). It is best known through Gary Craig's EFT Handbook, published in the late 1990s, and related books and workshops by a variety of teachers. EFT and similar techniques are often discussed under the umbrella term "energy psychology". Advocates claim that the technique may be used to treat a wide variety of physical and psychological disorders, and as a simple form of self-administered therapy.[1] The Skeptical Inquirer describes the foundations of EFT as "a hodgepodge of concepts derived from a variety of sources [primarily] the ancient Chinese philosophy of chi, which is thought to be the 'life force' that flows throughout the body." The existence of this life force is "not empirically supported".[2] EFT has no benefit as a therapy beyond the placebo effect or any known-effective psychological techniques that may be provided in addition to the purported "energy" technique.[3] It is generally characterized as pseudoscience and has not garnered significant support in clinical psychology.
  15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVk2Vetm1dc
  16. "Your problem was never being addicted to cigarettes. Your problem was being addicted to nicotine. Ever find yourself curious about exciting new technologies that allow you to smoke without actually smoking real cigarettes?" http://www.quittrain.com/topic/4754-videos-addressing-relapse-prevention/?p=178279
  17. Tracey, I can't even remotely imagine what you're going through so I'm not going to post some lame platitude or other less thoughtful response. Glad that you're here and talking about it. I bet for sure Rez will be there to support you and help you through this. Sometimes you need to circle yourself with those who will lift you up, not drag you down and feed off of you and for some people, family needs to take a hiatus while you focus on you.
  18. Quitting smoking and mental health Medication adjustments that may be necessary after smoking cessation When you may really need to talk to your doctor about quitting smoking
  19. -8
  20. Way to go! No nicotine! :)
  21. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcCAC75VeY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEfOGyvyfFY
  22. There is proven power in a community of positive support. http://www.quittrain.com/topic/318-the-one-year-commitment/?p=5686
  23. In early December 2012 I went to see my Dr. about something unrelated and before I left I decided to mention that I wanted to quit smoking but enjoyed it too much. I told him that I could quit if I really wanted to, I just didn’t want to. I told him that I wanted to quit smoking for my family because they meant everything to me and I knew that the cigarettes would eventually catch up with me if I didn’t quit for good. In a nutshell, he told me I was full of shit. He told me that my family wasn’t the most important thing in my life, cigarettes were. He also went on to tell me that I was an addict to which I laughed and said “you’re telling me that I’m an addict because I’m smoking tobacco? It’s not like I’m shooting heroin or snorting cocaine.” He chuckled to himself and said “you’re the exact definition of an addict and the only reason why you’re not out on the streets stealing to feed your addiction is because cigarettes are legal.” I was mad as I sat there. How could this man say these things to me? I really do enjoy smoking. I sat and I listened. He gave me a prescription for Wellbutrin XL to help me quit smoking. I told him that I didn’t need any medication to quit smoking and he informed me that I had been smoking for nearly 28 years with several failed attempts at quitting and whatever I was doing was not working. After about 5 days the medication started to work to the point that after 2 or 3 pulls on a cigarette, I would get sick to my stomach and be on the verge of puking. Still, I lit one cigarette after another hoping that the nausea would not last, but it did and finally on December 17, 2012, I decided that I had enough and quit. This time I stayed nicotine free for 9 months and was sure I would never smoke again. I spent hour after hour, day after day reading everything I could about nicotine addiction. I watched the documentaries about the evil tobacco companies (which are on this website and very good I might add), joined a support group online and was sure I had all the answers to staying quit for good. But as things go, I relapsed again in September 2013 because of one reason; I still believed that the cigarette had something to offer me. After all of the reading and learning about nicotine addiction, none of it mattered because somewhere in the back of my mind I still believed in the cigarette. Thankfully, my relapse was short-lived and lasted only 1 week and 1 pack of cigarettes. What a shame it was to light the first of some 20 odd cigarettes after being smoke-free for ~9 months. Those 9 months prior that I speak of, although smoke-free, I was still believing somewhere in the back of my mind that cigarettes could offer me something because of my triumphant reunion with them nearly two years prior. It was all a big lie perpetuated by me. When I bought that pack in October I thought it would help. After reading Allen Carr’s book several times and being proactive for so many months, who was I kidding? The only thing I got from it was emptiness. It was at this moment and 19 cigarettes later that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that cigarettes could not do a damn thing for me. It took a one week relapse for me to 100% believe that no matter what happens in life, no matter how crappy I feel, cigarettes will not do anything. With each and every cigarette I analyzed how I felt. From the very first pull on that cigarette I was ultra aware of how I was feeling. I remembered Allen Carr. I remembered the lies. I remembered all the former smokers in the support group. I recalled all I had read about this addiction. I was still waiting for the enjoyment because I thought it really existed. Not only did I not get one bit of enjoyment from any of it, but I also found out the hard way that there isn’t a single thing enjoyable about smoking. It wasn’t until I truly understood that I got nothing from smoking that I willingly put the cigarettes down without any medication and without a second thought. However, close to the end of that week of smoking I could feel the addiction coming on strong. Had I not chosen to quit smoking on October 7th, 2013, I feel that I would have fallen back into a full blown nicotine addiction and smoking 30-40 cigarettes per day as that was my usual routine. I was probably just a few cigarettes away from this happening and it was scary to relive those feelings of being physically and mentally addicted to smoking constantly needing to feed the throngs of nicotine withdrawal. This is not a place that I ever want to revisit. If you think that you enjoy smoking or that is somehow relaxes you, then you still think that smoking cigarettes can still offer you something of benefit. This is romanticizing the cigarette, also known as junkie thinking, whether you want to believe it or not. Leaving this door open is dangerous because something will happen along the way that will allow the addiction to creep in and when you least expect it, you’ve relapsed. Lastly, a relapse doesn’t happen without first romancing or allowing junkie thinking to creep in. No situation, as bad as it may be, will force you to smoke unless you’re still believing that you can get something from the cigarette. Quitting smoking takes no action, only non-action. Don’t ever take another puff. Remember “N.O.P.E.” each and every day and make it a priority over life and all of it’s ups and downs. Never smoke again. Not one puff, ever (N.O.P.E.).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.