Happy to be smoke free but...

jake1065

I feel like crap most of the time.  I quit on March 1st and I am so very happy and proud of myself…but I am sick of feeling like dirt.  My attitude has sucked, I gained about 15 lbs. and my stomach hasn't been quite right since I quit.  One would think that after 6-weeks quit that there would be some normalcy in the way your body feels.

Okay…had to vent and now I feel a little better so I will look forward to tomorrow.

:unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :angry:  :huh:

• Like 1

I feel like crap most of the time.  I quit on March 1st and I am so very happy and proud of myself…but I am sick of feeling like dirt.  My attitude has sucked, I gained about 15 lbs. and my stomach hasn't been quite right since I quit.  One would think that after 6-weeks quit that there would be some normalcy in the way your body feels.

Okay…had to vent and now I feel a little better so I will look forward to tomorrow.

:unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :angry:  :huh:

Awww, Jake...I so remember feeling this way.  I mean, just because I smoked for 40 years...why shouldn't I be over it in a few weeks?  All I can tell you is that it is a journey...your body cannot heal that quickly!  But trust me on this...it keeps getting better and better.... 

• Like 1

I kinda feel crappy, too, at three months. Come to think of it at about 6 weeks - 2 months the "new" wore off and it was/is a different kind of grind. My belly hurt cuz it was being stretched out from the extra pounds I had put on, and is felling better now that I got the food stuffing backed off where I don't look like a starving camp denizen scrabbling at handfuls of rice spilling out the back of a UN relief truck.

Chant the litany of whatever benefits you have gotten so far, as few or as many as may be, Me? If I'm not coughing up 6 ounces of lung gump every morning I'm just fine thankyou very much :-)

• Like 1

I kinda feel crappy, too, at three months. Come to think of it at about 6 weeks - 2 months the "new" wore off and it was/is a different kind of grind. My belly hurt cuz it was being stretched out from the extra pounds I had put on, and is felling better now that I got the food stuffing backed off where I don't look like a starving camp denizen scrabbling at handfuls of rice spilling out the back of a UN relief truck.

Chant the litany of whatever benefits you have gotten so far, as few or as many as may be, Me? If I'm not coughing up 6 ounces of lung gump every morning I'm just fine thankyou very much :-)

that is what I was trying to say....

• Like 2

Good to see you Jake!

I was always happy about my quit, but I felt miserable with the weight gain, I was uncomfortable in my clothes, everything was tight and I didn't like it. I felt loaded and bloated and it didn't make me happy. The moment I started to eat healthier (still eat chocolate but not all the time) and the moment when I started to exercise more..that's when I felt better. 

Hi Jake.

As smokers we would fuel ourselves by smoking. Sounds odd I know, but smoking causes a reaction where the body releases blood sugars. This is why many models smoke to suppress their hunger and remain stick thin.

As non smokers we have to learn how to fuel ourselves with food and drink.

This is one of the reasons that during the adjustment period, a person can gain weight while they try to balance their blood sugar. This makes a person get irritable for carrying extra pounds, and because of low blood sugar symptoms.

It takes time to relearn, both mentally and Physically. But relearn you will :-)

Have patience and trust in the process :-)

Hey Jake. It does seem to take forever...but it is just a perception. You have made a massive change that has revolutionised the way your body works. Congratulations on that by the way. Each week that passes will be better. What are you doing with the extra time you now have? Started something new?

Jake,

I can relate. I was not feeling so hot at 6 weeks. That's about the time I started gaining weight (20 lbs for me!) and feeling bloated. I was feeling anxious and a little depressed too. I didn't feel right in my skin. Nothing fit anymore and I felt like an overcooked sausage. I was frustrated by everything and feeling like I needed nicotine to feel normal again. Just give it time. I promise you it gets better. Day by day it gets better. 

In the beginning everything that felt wrong in my body was attributed to quitting smoking, as the months progressed my body began to feel like my own again. I started walking more, working out and eating more healthy. My outlook began to change and I started feeling better about myself. It wasn't an overnight thing. I can't give you a specific date and say that's when it all gets better.  It was a gradual progression where suddenly I stepped back and realized I felt okay. I realized I hadn't thought about smoking cigarettes in a long time. You'll feel better I promise, just take it day by day. Keep it going!

• Like 1

Ya jake it will get better and better and better!

What helped me from feeling like crap was excersising.

Sort of traded a bad addiction for a good addiction.

You are a non smoker now so anything is possible

Keep on keeping on buddy