This place is such an inspiration!

Parsley

I have been lurking on this board for quite some time , and I have learned so much . I have tried to quit so many times and failed just as many times . But thanks to this site, I am ready . I have so many reasons to quit and stay quit , but it is always been so difficult and I cave so easy . The things that I have learned from this site are things I never realized before . One of the biggest things I have learned is to look at quitting smoking and staying quit being a huge positive, way more than it is a negative .Looking at the whole picture of quitting, it is not what I can't do, but I don't have to do! I have loved reading all the success stories and how good life can be without smoking . I have read on other websites in the past and honestly , they would doom and gloom and depressing . All about how hard it is and the struggles . I know it will be hard and there will be struggles of course but this site points out the positive and is so encouraging and uplifting .

My quit is tomorrow I really feel like I am ready . I will be waking up in a different place as we will be gone for the weekend and my normal surroundings and routine won't be there . And when I do come home Sunday I have all my ammo from reading here . I have a whole pile of distractions and ideas of things to do and healthy snacks to eat . But mostly and most importantly I have a whole different outlook on quitting now and I am actually looking forward to it . I cannot even begin to explain how this site has changed my way of thinking about the whole process! Thank you to everyone who contributes here it has made such a difference for me and I will continue to come here all the time !

• Like 13

Welcome aboard Parsley.  Glad you found us.

Quitting is a positive experience.  One of the best things you will ever do for yourself.  The hard parts of quitting really aren't all that hard...a few moments of agitation and some initial mental fogginess.  It's a small price to pay for a lifetime of freedom, improved health, confidence, calmness, etc., etc.  The benefits just keep coming.

Your attitude coming into this quit will serve you well.  That simple flip of the switch from "I don't get to smoke" to "I don't have to smoke" makes a world of difference.  When you change your perspective, everything you see changes.

Congratulations on making a great choice.

• Like 2

I have been lurking on this board for quite some time , and I have learned so much . I have tried to quit so many times and failed just as many times . But thanks to this site, I am ready . I have so many reasons to quit and stay quit , but it is always been so difficult and I cave so easy . The things that I have learned from this site are things I never realized before . One of the biggest things I have learned is to look at quitting smoking and staying quit being a huge positive, way more than it is a negative .Looking at the whole picture of quitting, it is not what I can't do, but I don't have to do! I have loved reading all the success stories and how good life can be without smoking . I have read on other websites in the past and honestly , they would doom and gloom and depressing . All about how hard it is and the struggles . I know it will be hard and there will be struggles of course but this site points out the positive and is so encouraging and uplifting .

My quit is tomorrow I really feel like I am ready . I will be waking up in a different place as we will be gone for the weekend and my normal surroundings and routine won't be there . And when I do come home Sunday I have all my ammo from reading here . I have a whole pile of distractions and ideas of things to do and healthy snacks to eat . But mostly and most importantly I have a whole different outlook on quitting now and I am actually looking forward to it . I cannot even begin to explain how this site has changed my way of thinking about the whole process! Thank you to everyone who contributes here it has made such a difference for me and I will continue to come here all the time !

Welcome aboard Parsely and thank you for the kind words.  Reading posts like this are an inspiration to us.  Remember to check in and post and read as often as you can.  It truly helps when you hold yourself accountable to not only yourself, but also others.  You've already started this so a huge pat on the back for you.  :)

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/4753-videos-addressing-issues-early-in-your-quit/

How To Quit Smoking

Video lays out simple tips for people wanting to quit smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27zWo7hbcY

• Like 1

Welcome Parsley!  :) Happy to have you aboard!

This place was such an important part of my quit even before I joined. I, too, lurked for the first little while, but I can say joining took my quit to a whole new level. It became fun!

Come hang out with us. Before you know it, you'll be focussed on the positives that being a non-smoker brings into your life and you'll just become happier and happier. Even after only a month for me, smoking seems like something from another life. The hard parts of quitting weren't anywhere near as hard as I imagined them to be - especially with support - and they do pass quickly. It's worth a brief struggle to get your whole life back. Stay close, read, read, read, educate yourself on nicotine addiction and post, post, post. If I can do this, anyone can. Welcome to your new life. Let's do this thing!  :D

• Like 4

What a fabulous hello post...

I love it when a lurker jumps aboard, it means you have seen enough to know we can help you free yourself..

Pixie was so right..quitting here is fun..why be gloomy...its a amazing thing you are achieving...

We do have a serious side too..but mostly we laugh to freedom...

Post,post,post..join in...take the daily pledge...

This is the start of your journey... Buckle up...enjoy the ride..you can do it !!!!!

• Like 2

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Parsley :) Hope your weekend away goes well for you. I think it will help being away from your normal routine initially. It sounds like you really have done some thinking about this quitting thing and have the proper perspective on it now. Mindset will make a huge difference in being successful. As long as you want to stay quit more than you want to smoke, you'll be fine. Yes, it's tough and quite uncomfortable for the first while but just power through that and you will begin to realize the benefits of no longer smoking, and they're great!! As others have said, come here often and participate with us. As Pixel said, having a support group like this will make a real positive difference in making your quit successful. It can also be a lot of fun too :) I look forward to seeing you around the board!

• Like 3

Overall I would say the day was a success!!!! Didn't smoke and that is all that matters right now..I ended up walking Waaaaaay more than planned, miles more...my lungs in sad shape,unanticipated stress that I used eating to deal with and I am ok with that. Tonight.....want to smoke...but I don't HAVE too and will not! I am having a drink...my small reward....oh and M&M's!

• Like 5

That's OK. Anything to get you through without smoking! These early days will test you but you can be stronger than the addiction by just saying - NO!! It's tough at first but I can promise you it gets easier the longer you hang in there and just do not take even one puff. Not One Puff Ever! You can do it Parsley!!

• Like 2

It's OK. Don't worry about it. M&M's are way better than smoking! And this will pass. I ate my way through the first little while, and now it's all back to normal. Don't beat yourself up over anything - treat yourself with kindness. You're doing a really wonderful thing. You can do this. Just a little longer and it gets way better! Keep going, you've got this!! :D

• Like 2

One day is awesome!!! The days just start adding up faster and faster! :) And the walking is great, BTW!!! And it does get easier too!!! 

I'm going to give Amazon a try. I LOVE M&M's and Coffee M&M's?? I'm all over that!!!!  Right now I'm obsessed with Smoky BBQ sunflower seeds in shell. Soo good.

I like the Spitz ones. :) So many flavours. And they're so great for keeping your hands and mouth busy with all the shelling!! And I don't usually eat too many, because it takes so long to eat a handful! Perfect distraction! :)

A reward is a good thing. Small ones for each day when new. A candy bar or a magazine. Something to say good job. Don't worry about MM as long as you don't smoke. NOPE say it 1000 times if needed.

When you hit a week consider a larger reward. Dinner out. Shoes. A reward

But don't look to far ahead. Don't worry about not smoking forever. Consider it a blessing you don't want to smoke and take it as a day thing. Even a half day at a time. Or just an hour. Promise not to smoke for an hour after an urge. Those urges get weaker every time you have one. And you get stronger. So if you promise to wait an hour, you won't even want one thAt hour later. Juice. Drink juice. Need some sugar for blood that the nicotine is not releasing now that it's being sucked out of your blood. It will be al gone in a few more hours for you. So juice it.

And sit on your hands if needed. You made it the toughest day so each one after is lighter.

• Like 5

Still good! Not without real struggles but in there. Went mushroom hunting in the woods this morning that was nice beautiful morning. Right now outside planting pansies in pots and drinking lots and lots of water ...

therefore I pee constantly!

• Like 2