Old Phartes passing gas

On another thread - CPK posted some questions that she had for Old Phartes...

1) What was the hardest month in your quit, and why?

The month before I quit. I was so scared.

2) What was the best month in your quit, and why?

Every month has had its moments. Life still keeps getting better. BUT - how I feel is, at the end of the day, a choice.

3) Did certain foods increase thoughts about smoking?

Nope

4) Did you experience anxiety that you thought was related

to not smoking? How did you handle it?

Yes. I obeyed the Sarge. "Embrace the Suck". I explored these feelings.

5) How long did it take you to lose pounds gained while quitting?

I lost weight while quitting. But I used walking as a distraction, not snacking.

6) Did your sleep patterns change after you quit smoking?

Yes. For about 4/5 months. Then settled down.

7) At what month did you 100% feel you were forever done with smoking?

Ummm...not sure. Very gradually.

8) What worked best in the early months that you still do?

Walk. Drink water. Laugh.

9) Did you experience depression you thought was related

No.

10) If over a year quit, why do you continue to visit and post on QT?

To try to help where I can. To laugh. And cos I love lots of people here.

11) When was the last time you had a smoking dream/smokes dream?

None after 9 months or so I think.

12) What is the very best thing that has happened to you since

doing the sticky quit?

The feeling of liberation - of control of my own destiny.

That's this old Pharte's gas....

What does yours smell like?

• Like 6

Ok, I'm game and will join in

1) What was the hardest month in your quit, and why?

I couldn't say, they were all very different.  I more had difficult triggers rather than a specific month, ie season change, 1st holiday etc.

2) What was the best month in your quit, and why?

Month 4. It was the first time I really felt at peace with my quit. It didn't last from then, I had wobbles, but it gave me a glimpse of what was to come and I loved it.

3) Did certain foods increase thoughts about smoking?

No.

4) Did you experience anxiety that you thought was related

Yes. For a few months my emotions were off the chart and I found it difficult as I am a trojan normally :) I handled it by choosing to see it as healing. I'm still sure some of the chemicals I smoked had to come through my tear ducts...it just was. The alternative of smoking was not an option, so head down and march.

5) How long did it take you to lose pounds gained while quitting?

Wherever I am now, finally got pre quit weight back last week, so about 14 months. Only because my commitment level was shaky due to other situations I had going on and actually, I found it less of a big deal then I thought I would. 

6) Did your sleep patterns change after you quit smoking?

Yes. Insomnia ruled for about a month or two. After that I settled into a new sleep pattern which involves being awake a part of the night and sleeping in two hits. When I googled it was an old cave man pattern of sleeping. I found running with it better than fighting it and I use the awake hour or so to self heal (reiki) or meditate now. Overall I need less sleep than I did as well. I wake a LOT calmer than I used to and I'm sure it's because of being a non smoker as used to abhor mornings :)

7) At what month did you 100% feel you were forever done with smoking?

Oh tough one. I knew on day 2 I would never smoke again. For me, getting a day under my belt sent me mentally euphoric haha, it was the best thing and the greatest feeling. But then I still doubted myself from time to time. Month 4 was big, month 6 was big and 1 year were big. Inbetween those there were some shakes but I don't think I ever doubted I'd stay quit.  I'm like that though, making the decisions is hard, sticking to em is my thing. 

8) What worked best in the early months that you still do?

Deep breaths, clicking my fingers to shift out the nerves.

9) Did you experience depression you thought was related

Not depression as such. I was much more emotional, I chose to trust others that said it was quit related and it passed, at different rates for people. For me that was around month 6. Depression is the wrong word for me but fog is probably more appropriate, I felt my emotions/judgements/reactions were off kilter and that I had immense brain fog. It made me extremely uncomfortable but it also taught me a lot about feeling things properly and reacting in a non addicted way. It was a strategic part of my journey which I see now. 

10) If over a year quit, why do you continue to visit and post on QT?

Because for all the easy peasy crew, I had a swine of a quit. I literally hung on by a thread at times to get to this point. I feel there's value in that for others to hear. Not to instill fear but to say on the bad days, it really won't feel like this forever, trust me, I've been where you are. Luckily I felt like this place was my refuge, these people have saved my life in more ways than quitting smoking. For a while, they were my safety net and when I might have faltered alone, I couldn't let my buddy and friends down. It's not often in life that you come across such a community and I value it. I also want other people to get the help I had, so it feels right and proper that I should pay it forward.

11) When was the last time you had a smoking dream/smokes dream?

Can't remember? Didn't have loads of them anyway, did have some, maybe 10 or so all told.

12) What is the very best thing that has happened to you since

doing the sticky quit?

I always ramble on about the sense of self worth, it was such an unexpected benefit that it really is fantastic. But the best thing that's "happened" to me is I feel like I have found who I was supposed to always be. I hid behind smoking, I used it to keep me out of the limelight, to give breathing space for poor problem solving, to avoid facing people and confrontation. I actually always thought I was a tough cookie and I was in a way, but now I am in totality, with some softer edges. I'm not sure how to really explain it but I like me better as a non smoker. 

x

• Like 6

Asked about food because found chocolate candy has bad effect. Does it contain caffeine? Well, certainly contains sugar...

I find that chocolate and coffee and many other things act and taste much stronger. 

I used to drink 5/6 fresh espresso in the morning. Now I drink 1 or 2 - but enjoy them much more.

• Like 1

Yep when all else fails do what ever it takes... humor pulls me through... always prefer to take the piss out of myself first... I am me... L.M.F.S... aint no pretentious/precious little snowflake :)

KTQ!

Don't know what L.M.F.S. is but guess it's something funny...or smelly. :)

• Like 1

I find that chocolate and coffee and many other things act and taste much stronger. 

I used to drink 5/6 fresh espresso in the morning. Now I drink 1 or 2 - but enjoy them much more.

Wow! So handsome in your new pix!!!

(I also drink espresso, but now cut it with 1/2 decaf)