dreams dreams dreams

slovenka177

I know there was a thread for this somewhere. Last night I had the worst smoking dream ever. I dreamt that I lost my quit completely and in my dream I didn't care. I was actually happy in my dream. Ahhhhhhhhhhh - I woke up so sad and depressed that my brain even went to that dark place. It made me think I am weak and a failure. When really I didn't do anything. I just want the dreams to stop. :(

I don't know what to tell you S, we all seem to have them, it just seems to be part of the quit. I just chalk it up as a reminder that you are a non smoker now. Shake it off and be happy that you still have your quit. I haven't had a smoking dream in quite a while now.

You are doing great. So keep on keeping on :)

• Like 1

Oh, I hate the dreams, too.  I feel so horrible when I wake up.  I hope it works for you like it has for me...they are getting farther and farther apart (like months apart).  Hopefully, one day they will disappear for good!

• Like 1

It may help you to look at it as your dreams are the last resort your addiction is using to try to get you back. It is so desperate that it'll use the only thing you can't control, your dreams. Remember though, you are in control and laugh it off because its attempts reek of desperation.

• Like 1

They are so horrid aren't they, sorry you've had one like that. I once woke crying!!

It was then I kinda thought, I wonder if this is my inner brains way of reminding myself how badly I DONT want to be that smoker!  We get all this talk about the nicodemon part, but what if there's like a self preservation part too fighting to remind us not to do it. That cheered me up and that my quit was still intact.

It's a journey isn't it, we are losing the bad parts and finding all new improved parts of ourselves. That makes the dreams rubbish but bearable I think.

xx

• Like 2

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why some have the dreams often and others don't.  I don't believe it has anything to do with your length of quit or even how strong your quit really is.   From what I have read, recovering drug addicts also dream about the drug they kicked the same way former smokers dream about smoking.  All that junk we were smoking, is in fact a drug.

It has something to do with the addicted brain.  I wouldn't look at the dreams in a negative light though.  For me, it is a positive reminder that my brain is finally recovering from the hell I put it and my body through - never want to go there again.  A positive reaffirmation of NOPE :)

• Like 2

I don't know what to tell you S, we all seem to have them, it just seems to be part of the quit. I just chalk it up as a reminder that you are a non smoker now. Shake it off and be happy that you still have your quit. I haven't had a smoking dream in quite a while now.

You are doing great. So keep on keeping on :)

Thanks Bat! Yeah, I think because this one dream felt so real that I just need to learn to shake them off like you said! 

Oh, I hate the dreams, too.  I feel so horrible when I wake up.  I hope it works for you like it has for me...they are getting farther and farther apart (like months apart).  Hopefully, one day they will disappear for good!

As if we need a reminder of the horrible thing it was lol. Lets hope they disappear! 

• Like 1

It may help you to look at it as your dreams are the last resort your addiction is using to try to get you back. It is so desperate that it'll use the only thing you can't control, your dreams. Remember though, you are in control and laugh it off because its attempts reek of desperation.

DF, that is a great way of looking at it. I didn't even think of that! :) So desperate! 

They are so horrid aren't they, sorry you've had one like that. I once woke crying!!

It was then I kinda thought, I wonder if this is my inner brains way of reminding myself how badly I DONT want to be that smoker!  We get all this talk about the nicodemon part, but what if there's like a self preservation part too fighting to remind us not to do it. That cheered me up and that my quit was still intact.

It's a journey isn't it, we are losing the bad parts and finding all new improved parts of ourselves. That makes the dreams rubbish but bearable I think.

xx

So very true Marti! It is the biggest journey. And good point - Humans are instinctual to do exactly what we are told not to do. So maybe our brain is using some reverse psychology by reminding us of the habit but of course we would never do it. 

Thankfully they are only dreams, I am already feeling better. But wow, how crazy is the hold it has on you in your dream land. 

Blessed Be

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why some have the dreams often and others don't.  I don't believe it has anything to do with your length of quit or even how strong your quit really is.   From what I have read, recovering drug addicts also dream about the drug they kicked the same way former smokers dream about smoking.  All that junk we were smoking, is in fact a drug.

It has something to do with the addicted brain.  I wouldn't look at the dreams in a negative light though.  For me, it is a positive reminder that my brain is finally recovering from the hell I put it and my body through - never want to go there again.  A positive reaffirmation of NOPE :)

It is such a great reminder Colleen. I thought, if a dream is the only consequence I am coming out of my addiction I am blessed. Could have been worse I guess. Just sucks we have to suffer in our dreams. I finally got my sleep pattern back to normal :)

Aww (((Slovenka)))... I'm sorry to hear this...

Way back when, I remember posting about my dreams, and at one point I had a whole week of them, constantly - I was fed up and thought they would never end.  I was tired of Nancy getting upset with me in the dreams, lol  But it did get better, and I hardly ever have them now - in fact I can't even remember the last time I had one!

Even though they sucked (a lot), I feel that it did reinforce my quit, as I really hated the feeling I had when I dream smoked, and didn't want to feel like that in real life (if that makes sense!)

• Like 1

I am still having them frequently too. They sure are scary and leave behind a nasty guilt feeling. This is an aspect of recovery that applies to all drug addicts, and it just sucks.

Hugs to you, in time this too shall pass.

• Like 1

Aww (((Slovenka)))... I'm sorry to hear this...

Way back when, I remember posting about my dreams, and at one point I had a whole week of them, constantly - I was fed up and thought they would never end.  I was tired of Nancy getting upset with me in the dreams, lol  But it did get better, and I hardly ever have them now - in fact I can't even remember the last time I had one!

Even though they sucked (a lot), I feel that it did reinforce my quit, as I really hated the feeling I had when I dream smoked, and didn't want to feel like that in real life (if that makes sense!)

Yea you are right. It just reinforces the quit! :) Glad to hear they go away :)

I am still having them frequently too. They sure are scary and leave behind a nasty guilt feeling. This is an aspect of recovery that applies to all drug addicts, and it just sucks.

Hugs to you, in time this too shall pass.

So scary! You feel like it is reality.  Thanks, hug to you too. Hope they go away for the both of us :)

• Like 1

God I remember those vivid dreams and still get them, not so often now, but the sense of failure and disappointment when you wake up is a good reminder that your quit is solid, any time you feel a crave, remember that feeling.  I could never get over how real the dreams felt, I woke up once actually crying because I thought I had smoked.  

• Like 2

I had smoking dreams a lot! I get the odd one now. Yes they're annoying but you should feel happy when you wake up: you haven't smoked!

You're subconscious is tapping in to the old junkie but that doesn't mean you need to.