bakon

• photo-thumb-10723.png?_r=1407787927
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 2,422 posts
  • quitdate: 9-24-12
  • LocationOwn World

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Quit now. Actually about an hour ago I had last. Woke up this morning and said today is the day. Thought about it for a week, here and there "ought to quit again." Been sucessful for a year a few times, two years one time. Pulled out Chantax I tried a few years ago this morning. Didnt like the dreams last time and quit taking it. It worked for a few weeks then had the puff. Pills expired last year, what the hell I will take one anyways. Found the board about an hour ago and started reading. Haven't decided if I am calling doctor for another prescription or going cold turkey. Been reading the craving stuff, and after an hour I am getting hungry, so off for a Subway for a treat of making it an hour.

• Like 9

page 1- try to copy/paste. thanks Elton, thought first post should stand alone.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Day 2. Made it so far. This morning was toughest part. Did it minute at time. Where is all the encouragement? Didnt say anything to anyone yet. See if anyone notices.

#3 jen

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hi congrats on your quit I wouldnt take pills if they were out of date myself but hey, anyway just be strong and you will get through the first three days it does get better, make sure you drink plenty of water help flush the nicotine out of your system

#4 iajdani

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Great going.

Expect these for day 2,3,4

Headache, craving, drowsiness. But it all will ease up on 5th day. Keep it up.

#5 PilgrimUK
Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:53 AM
Welcome bakon. smile.png
I would always advice the cold turkey route.
72 hours, everything is out the system.
Anything after that point is psychological triggers.
You can reduce a lot of symptoms such as lack of concentration/focus and headaches by drinking fruit juices and cutting Tea/Coffee consumption in half.
Click any of my signature links for some great reading about giving up.

#6 soul Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:10 AM
bakon, welcome to the forum!!!

By now you have noticed that a craving will not kill you................smoking will though............

I suggest you continue to read up in the newbie package in here and whatever info you get about quitting tips and more importantly about STAYING quit.................

you have been that road before and have learned from your mistakes.......the key is to change your strategy, be prepared, have a plan B for all your routines, brace yourself and jump, we will catch you!

Quit for yourself but not by yourself!

#7 bakon

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for help. Not a coffee drinker. Tea at times but like it cold and lemonade is just as good. Cold turkey seems to work best for me. Patches prolong quit. Get my mind wrapped on no more, and that is the way it is. Like the little counter, lets me know I earned something. Watching your counters is helpful too. No problems so far, son in hospital with broken hand. Getting surgery now, so just sitting around watching people walk by carrying their oxygen. Easy.
thanks again

#8 babs609

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Go Bakon!!!! You can do this..one craving at a time. Stick close to the board and read, read, read!!! Helps more than I can stress to you.
Deep breathing has also gotten me through too

Smoking is not an option

#9 soul

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

ah, where the kids take us!! icon_mrgreen.gif He will probably recover very well, kids tend to.............i work in physical therapy and have witnessed such incredible recoveries with kids............

Remember to use breathing if you feel cravings creep in...............nice slow breathing in and out............

Stay close, read and post...........

Cold turkey seems to work extremely well for countless people icon_wink.gif From your words i can sense that you are determined and happy to take this step into a new life style!

#10 4mylife

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hello Bakon!!!
It looks like you have been giving some great advice from the others here..
I want to welcome you and say that it looks like you are really doing amazing!!!!!!
Water, deep breaths and walking my dogs have got me through some really tough times.
Reading here got me to my quit, and pretty much keeps me sane smile.png
Again welcome and I hope all goes well with your son, keep us updated..

#11 TimidTulip

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Welcome aboard the board!

Just stick with it, just remember we have all quit and we wouldn't have been able to if it stayed feeling as bad as those first few days - things WILL improve!

#12 thebean

Bakon, that little counter helps me too! I am rooting for you! Keep going, you can do it! smile.png

#13 bakon

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

No big cravings yet. Keeping blood sugar up. Son is 25, Afghanistan veterarn Marine with purple heart. He broke his hand riding a quad. Still lives at home because he is in tech school.

Been reading other posts. Walked outside and my nose is already working again. Could smell smoke 50 yards away. Also smell some good food cooking.
  •  

#14 thebean

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

wow, lucky! I still don't have a full sense of smell yet.. enjoy that!!!! Keep going.. every hour adds up.. you'll be amazed. smile.png

#15 bakon

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

soul,
just saw Mars PA. In Pittsburgh. Drove to Mars twice a month for last 20 years. Really Zelianople but close enough.
Bed time. Made it all day. Wife noticed and had my largest craving talking about what I read and learned here.
No more talking about it.

#16 mark1976

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Welcome Bakon!!! Seems like u are having an easy time so far but you know how easy it is to go back. From this point on your view on smoking should be the same as all of us here. NOPE.

#17 bakon 

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Day 3 is hitting like a train. Hardest and most intense cravings so far. NOPE is working and I am holding strong. Easy to slip here for one puff on old attempts. Feel better after reading in here. Like walking out of the theater after seeing a Rocky movie. I can do it attitude. 

#18 marciem
Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

bakon said

Day 3 is hitting like a train. Hardest and most intense cravings so far. NOPE is working and I am holding strong. Easy to slip here for one puff on old attempts. Feel better after reading in here. Like walking out of the theater after seeing a Rocky movie. I can do it attitude.

keep strong, bakon!! This road is an uneven one, meaning that there are smooth times and rocky times. Hold on to the smooth times in your heart!! The bumpy ones too...they will remind you why you never ever want to be on this road again in your lifetime. The only way to avoid this road in the future is to stay on it NOW!! Straight ahead, don't look back, sure as hell don't GO back!!

#19 JTPhilly

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

sounds like you are doing great bacon - make sure you have a snack and stay hydrated - punch something if you need too - all that you are feeling is your body throwing off it's dependance - it can be rough bit it does get better - remember you don't want to do this again? right?

#20 bakon
Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:31 PM
Hanging in there. Thanks everyone.

• Like 5

Thanks Doorbell.

#21 soul

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

stay close.........keep reading and posting!
  •  
#22 bakon

Made it to 4. Ok today. One big thought of giving up but went away after some pushing. Morning going smooth. Little reading helps put the mind in right place to do this.
  •  
#23 iajdani
Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:18 AM
Hang in there. This is the toughest day. Things will start easing up from tomorrow.
  •  
#24 PilgrimUK

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Well done.
Day 4 is the golden day in quitting.
All the nicotine is now out your system. The body can now get on with its job of Recovery & repair.
All triggers from now on are psychological or associational craves (after meals, out with mates...etc)
  •  
#25 bakon

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

OK. Take your word for it. Think I have failed 1000 times on day four. But didnt have a place to post or read about it then. Feel testy, dont want to let the anger bug pop off but he is right there under the surface.
  •  
#26 PilgrimUK

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

But could that simply be "reference stress"
You have said you failed before at 4 days and that is in your mind, you don't want it happening yet again?
It sounds like it.
Sound like a little tension of wanting it to succeed.
If you dwell on it, you might give yourself problems.
Just get on and do something: read; clean; go for a walk...etc.
  •  
#27 bakon

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

Took a walk in rain with dogs. Planning evening meal and just killing time. Day off, so pretty bored and trying to break old habits associated with smoking. No big problems, minor irritations is all. Sticking with NOPE and pushing through. I will make it, smell is coming back pretty good. Thanks everyone
  •  
#28 babs609

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

bakon...you are right where you need to be. Yes....annoying at times...but, doable. Pretty much how life is sometimes, right? Fabulous, annoying, and doable...all wrapped into one smile.png

Congrats!! biggrin.png
  •  
#29 BAH

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

Yes you will...keep it up....be VERY very proud of yourself

smile.png

I will make it

•  
#30 bakon

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Day 5. Moving along. Its in the back of my head but easier than first 8 hours. Must be lightening up. Going back to work today. Smoked alot there but not worried. Will keep myself busy so it wont be missed. Keeping NOPE in my thoughts. Also like the signature which says One Puff from a Pack a Day. So true.
  •  

#31 bakon

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Day 6. Going good. Smell is amazing. Bored at times I used to smoke. Keeping busy.
  •  

#32 soul

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

great news biggrin.png

There is nothing wrong with being bored.........at times, we find ourself ! We are not such bad company after all............
  •  
#33 kickitorfcckit

good job, bakon
  •  
#34 bakon

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Day 7 No smoke- irritated most of day.Didnt start work till 3pm, got up 8am, raining, cold out, just one of those sit around do nothing days until I had to leave. Just edgy. Not ready to flip out but not calm and relaxed. I know the "3 days its out of your system", but the brain is more powerful and needs shoved in right direction.
Dont plan on smoking, but dont want to be in a bad mood for no reason.
  •  
#35 Guest__*

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Three days and the nicotine is physically out of your system, but the mental aspect is even more challenging. Just keep making smoking not an option and you will do just fine smile.png . And remember, we all had bad days, even for no reason, when we were smokers too. Hang in there, it's worth it!
  •  
#36 soul

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

all a mind game now................

have a plan, a strategy and keep surprising your "adversary"..........
  •  
  •  
#37 bakon

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Mind game is right. Actually smelled someone smoking and it stinks to me. Got to break some of those subconsciuos triggers. Went back and did some reading, thanks everyone. Again not an SOS, just working through it.
  •  
#38 freshyoself

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Bakon!
  •  
#39 bakon

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Day 8. Going smooth. Learning to relax and enjoy whatever is going on. Thinking the smokes were causing me to rush things to get to next one. Spending time in garage before work, where I did all my smokiing at home. Didnt have an urge. Washed bike and still no urge. Site is great for telling what to expect and how to retrain my sub conscious to enjoy not smoking.
I dont even like typing the word right now. Like its a swear or something shameful.

Anyways just checking in. All good today and easing up.
  •  
#40 bakon

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Day 9-Still here smoke free. Reading others fight on this. The group is great for support. Nice work everyone.

• Like 2

Starting now

Started by bakon, Sep 24 2012 11:27 AM

#41 soul

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

nice work to you too Bakon!

Keep on moving forward and you will discover deeper levels of Freedom you did not even suspect existed......
  •  
#42 bakon

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Day 10- Another day done. Sleeping longer than in past. Was a 7 hour a night person. This week I am 8 to 9 hours a night. More dreams too.

No complaints.
#43 bakon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Day 12 - I did first night out with guys at our regular smokey bar. Made it three hours and no smoking. Thought this would be a hard test...thought about having one...thoughts pass and smell was overwelming. Watched the other smokers, 20 minutes fire another one. 20 minutes another.. looked like an addiction now. Felt bad for them, didnt want to be preachy and say anything though. Got to learn on thier own. Had headache from the place.

Well I believe that was my first real hard, true test. Kept NOPE in mind. Didnt want to reset my counter or wake up thinking I was ok with only one after all that time. I earned my quit.

SO got past a milestone for me. Now looking for the 2 week mark.
  •  
#44 JTPhilly

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

feels good right bacon? I thought it would be hard to maintain my quit and my social life but I
#45 dls46711

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

What an awesome job! I remember the first time out in a smoky place after i quit. Staring at everyone smoking. Glad you saw it in the negative way! Congrats. You are doing everything right!
  •  
#46 bakon

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Day 13 Made first night working 11-7. Midnight shift was for smoking. Lots of dead time. Nothing much to do passing the time.
Didnt miss it at all. NOPE and moving on. Thanks again everyone. Couple hours and it will be two weeks.
#47 avian3

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Good for you! Boredom was always a trigger for me. Eventually, like me, you can be really bored and the thought of smoking will never enter your mind.

#48 babs609

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

doing great Bakon..keep it up biggrin.png
  •  
#49 bakon

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

Made it two weeks. Feel good. I would not call it a crave, but a thought will pop up now and then. I dont act on it and certainly going to keep with NOPE. It has got easier, but hoping it gets even easier. Breaking the old habits of smoking with an activity is tough too. Just have to do them and realize a glass of water or whatever is all that is there now. Thanks for all the help everyone.
#50 youngster513

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Congrats Bakon! It looks like me and you started about the same time but just hours apart. Keep it up bud!
  •  
#51 sheilasdad
Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:37 AM
Go Bakon! You are my role model!
  •  
#52 sparkling
Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:47 AM
Congratulations and well done for making a wise choice, you are doing it, just keep at it and never go back no matter what.
  •  
#53 christine1960

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Bakon,
Great job. I love the daily updates and I think it is so helpful to other newbies to follow your journey and see how you deal with cravings and temptations. Keep that quit looking great!
  •  
#54 bakon

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Someone called me their Role Model. WOW. Guy didnt smoke for 12 years and he is watching me.
And another is only a few hours ahead of me on their quit. Kind of like quiting with a buddy. Glad I didnt have youngsters cost of smokes though. I was paying about $55 for a carton and his money saved is higher than mine.

Years ago I would buy a pack a day. Thinking if I quit overnight, I wouldnt waste any money or smokes. That was my thinking, I would just wake up and quit. Everyday back to store.
Well I did quit..... but finding this board and reading others struggles and successes push me forward.

Today was easy. Worked nights but was busy. Got up and cold outside. Cut grass, didnt even think about smoke. Used to light one up on way to shed, light another half way through with a drink of water, another when I was done admiring the look of the yard. Today I smelled the yard. Not the faint smell of cut grass even smokers sometimes get. I could smell the mud in the back corner where I dump the grass, the grass, the gasoline, dog do, some fallen leaves. Everything had its own smell.

Far as craves...none. Desires or thoughts..maybe one. Easing up. Got NOPE in front now. Just tough habit. Everyone has finally noticed. So a shameful future if I forget NOPE.

I am the original smoker and addict to the core for it. So if I can do 16 days, cold turkey, and it is getting easy, anyone can do it. Years ago people would say I wasnt allowed to quit, too crabby to begin with, would rip your head off and worse when I would try going without the fix for a few days. Maybe I am getting old, or maybe just happy to put them down this time.

From the generation where everyone smoked when I grew up. They smoked on tv, in every building, at every event. Remember the Marboro Man on the largest billboard in town. The one which sat over the Liberty bridge by itself. To be grown up you smoked. All teenagers smoked, couldnt wait to be cool like them...I smoked through the ARMY, three decades since becoming cool. Not all pack a day times. The last 15 years probably. Had Ultra Lights which cant hurt because they are "100 percent natural too"..Go to the races. It's the Winston Cup whose slogan was "One Big Smoking Section"and handed out cartons in the infield. We were all drinking and having a good time with the "free smokes". Nobody was telling us where we could smoke and the sponser says so..And I will buy another pack each day for years in support of the freedom.

Well times are reverse. Uncool to smoke. "When are you going to quit.." Being last guy to give it up. Not really, but feel like it. Remember when non smoking sections came out. Who wants to sit there? Now there is no smoking in bars. Did this too long. Standing outside at buildings, bars, hotels, crowded near doors with the other junkies.
No more. NOPE

Those free cartons of smokes probably cost $36500.00 using 20 years at $5 a pack.
  •  
#55 lynn1957

Bakon,

Congrats on 16 days quit. I too remember when it was acceptable to smoke. My mother kept ashtrays on the livingroom tables for company (nobody smoked in my family). All bars, restaurants and hotels were smoking. I smoked at work, in airplanes and anywhere I darn well wanted to. I feel like you- should have quit a long time ago when it started to become socially unacceptable. But, at least we've getting there now. NOPE
  •  
#56 bakon

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

16- I look at the counter- 309 cigarettes. Have to pause to picture them laid out. Dont feel like I have missed that many. First couple days, sure I missed the 25 listed. But over 300, I have trouble picturing, I really missed 309. No way. Feels like a few days worth, so 60-. But does not feel like more, happy with that. Must be easing up more than I have noticed.

No problems today. Waking up, still not jumping out of bed like I used to. Probably cause I ran to garage to light up before. Dont need the fix to get moving, or is it get moving for the fix?
Anyways only upon getting up do I even think about it. Not a crave, just a thought, lasts about a MINUTE. Still marching with NOPE. I am the puff away from a pack guy.
  •  
#57 ATCSharp

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Keep it up! I just hit one week today. IT GETS EASIER! I PROMISE! Today was almost a normal day. The cravings are very weak!
#58 bakon

17- Easy peezy. Been walking dogs. Slightly longer here and there. Feels good to get blood pumping. One thought, minor, 30 seconds. Smelled someone smoking outside business. Felt bad for them sitting there with cold weather coming. Getting the fix.

NOPE- what a nice little word with so much strength.
  •  
#59 candothis

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Bakon you are such an inspiration! I love reading your journal! Way to go!! And thank you for sharing!
  •  
#60 bakon

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

The inspiration for me is everyone who responded to this thread. Anyone with a comment helped push me to here. Another day and another pack I didnt smoke because of the kind words and support. Thanks everyone.
Had a long talk with an ex smoker. Cold turkey guy. Hospital trip for two weeks for him, but smoke free two years. Also a current smoker who "enjoys it still". All I could do is tell them about the site and what I learned. How do you explain nicotine without preaching? It all comes out sounding like they are complete dumbass for saying "they enjoy it" of course you enjoy the nicotine but both admit they hated smell and health issues. Thier replying sounded ridiculous. No its relaxing. No its just the physical part. No its the satisfaction. No its ..... the nicotine dumbass.
NOPE

• Like 2

#61 soul

bakon,

good to read that you are doing well and discovering many things about the addiction and about yourself.

.............No its ..... the nicotine ............

I think that it is much more than the nicotine. Smoking provides to the smoker with an escape from the present, it also provides the smoker a place where to hide from his/her emotions. Cigarettes also can be felt as a "companion", some say it takes boredom away. In the morning, it helps you wake up, when nervous it helps you calm down, not to mention how it affects your appetite.................and there are so many more reasons that people use (often without knowing) to continue the self-destructive path that smoking offers.

This addiction is cunning, baffling and powerful. The hundred of chemicals in cigarettes affect the body as well, not only nicotine alters and desstroys the normal state of the body............

Keep on being the example bakon, keep on moving forward, the quit is obviously opening many doors for you. Be proud of your accomplishment.
  •  
#62 bakon

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

18- OK much of day. Got crabby around 9pm, about an hour before I get ready for work. No reason, but is my 7 day in a row for work. We work 28 day rotation and change shift weekly. Like to blame that but usually last one before days off I am in good mood. Slight headache, tired and hungry so its just no fun right now. Steelers just lost too.Not worried about smoking right now, just not easy pezzy like yesterday.
Nope.
#63 youngster513

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE! TGIF soon!
  •  
#64 bakon

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Day 20- Just starting day. Yesterday was ok. Had lots of stress, furniture we waited 6 weeks for didnt fit where we wanted. Had to send back, reorder/shop for something else. Mother coming to visit, another stresser. But no smokes. Went to dinner with wife and friends, drink after for two hours in seriously smokey bar, made it, but could have caved there if I knew I could get away with it. Also didnt want to reset counter. 20 is big number right now.
Moving foward.
  •  
#65 bakon

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Three weeks today. WOW. Easier than start but still no piece of pie either. Painting rooms today. Hate painting. No urges, couple thoughts of smoking but too busy to dwell on them. Anyways, keep marching, NOPE
  •  
#66 Bradley Parker

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

bakon said

Three weeks today. WOW. Easier than start but still no piece of pie either. Painting rooms today. Hate painting. No urges, couple thoughts of smoking but too busy to dwell on them. Anyways, keep marching, NOPE

Hey, just think how much longer the painting would take, if every half hour, all progress stopped for a duration of ten minutes... Sounds more frustrating than just chugging through and enjoying all that time left over at the end, or at least finishing the job in one day instead of 1+1/2...
  •  
#67 bakon

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

22- Spent day painting again. Hate painting but it was easier not getting worked up where to stop to take break. Just keep going, around the room, up hall around another room and up stairs. Took 8 hours of nonstop work. Didnt miss the smoking. Did try to light up an imaginary one where I was stirring the paint. Old habit. Wonder how long things like that will pop up.

Like I siad yesterday, it is easier. Much, and worth it. But those thoughts of missing something pop up now and then. Miss that buzz but not anything else. Not the smell, taste, ashtray. Not buying, carrying, looking for lighter. Not packing them, running out and worry about when I can have another. Dont miss smoking a few in a row to get ready for time I cant have one. Dont miss running outside after meal, or at bar where there is no smoking. Huddled around some old stinky ashtray on a window sill, or worse some can in the corner. Dont miss my truck smelling like a butt. Dont miss the headache or dry mouth it gives at times.

NOPE

#68 Bradley Parker

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

bakon said

Dont miss the headache or dry mouth it gives at times.

NOPE

Agreed; the dry mouth was a big killer for me. It was causing my teeth to go bad at age 21. Dentist says major improvement; I'm 3 days shy of 2 months.
  •  
#69 bakon

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

23- Still wake up looking for smoke but after a minute it goes away. I assume blood sugar is lowest when I wake and causing this. Good otherwise. I am guessing the 1 month /2 month/ 3 and so on get even easier.
NOPE is still working. Plus this group. All the comments are helpful.
  •  
#70 dls46711

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

It does keep getting easier. You keep the NOPE attitude, and the voices and urges will fade smile.png Congrats! Keep posting.
  •  
#71 christine1960

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Bakon,
Great to see your updates. You are doing great and helping so many newbies with your posts. KTQ!!!
  •  
#72 bakon

24- Still here. Worked then came home and worked on car. Clean it up real good to put away for the winter. Rims off and all that stuff. Two big smoking activities but did not miss it. Looked for my lighter when getting something off work bench. Just a second thought. Kind of funny. Brain programmed to light up upon reaching a certain point in chore. Went and grabbed a root beer for the reward. Had to laugh at it. Thanks for support everyone. Really helps me push on. NOPE for another day...

•  

#73 dancer_I

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

#74 bakon

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

25 Still here and not one puff. To me that is the deal. Cant take one or its not a quit. Anyways marching on without any major problems. Is easier but every once in a while it creeps in. Nothing big, no running to store, have not bummed one, mostly dont like smell right now. Wished I had kept an ashtray so when I am in the garage I could lick it. Only real time I want one.
Well going to gym. Been going for a while but took summer off with injury. Figure time to go back.
Later
  •  
#75 Bradley Parker

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

bakon said

25 Still here and not one puff.

That's what we like to hear. icon_mrgreen.gif
  •  
  • t
#76 bakon

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

27- Waiting to hit that 1 month mark. Crazy dreams and sleeping. I wake up a few times a night, which is not unusual but dreams in every segment. Also seem to sleep better, not tired during day (unless I eat something big.) Just dont think I had so many dreams when I smoked. Blamed Chantix for these dreams a few years ago, quit taking it and started smoking again. Cold turkey this time, so maybe just readjusting to new blood and lack of chemicals.
  •  
#77 christine1960

Congrats on One Month! Keep that great quit going!
  •  
#78 marciem

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hey there bakon, I'm saving you a seat here in the one-month-mobile!! It sure is nice here, lots of goodies and munchies and leather heated seats and all laugh.pngsmile.png
#79 bakon

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

29- counter says 29 today.waiting for the one month flip. Maybe tomorrow. We work a 28 day rotation, change shifts weekly. So four weeks, 28 days, is a month to me. Still NOPE. Not one. Watched Steelers at smokey bar again last night. Left at half time. Nose all stuffy today. Slight headache but I will blame Sam Adams Octoberfest on that.
So I have made several beer nights without lighting up. Watched other smokers, looks kind of silly. Dont miss it. And that smell, its bad and they stink. I wish I never smelled like that to anyone.

• Like 2

#81 Bradley Parker

This is a smoke-free city where I live, and these Indian liquor store guys are often saying "We proudly allow smoking within our store." Who's gonna hate them for it
#82 bakon

Goofy laws. Some bars have smoking, some dont. Has something to do with nobody under 18 working there and amount of food service. No sure exactly, just some still have it and most dont. Of course private clubs are ok to smoke.

30- still here. NOPE is a great saying.. Also still like the "puff away from a pack a day."

#83 bakon

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

31- Got one month on the counter. Working OT today but soon as we finish I am pulling the bike out. Harley- 78 degrees in Pittsburgh today. Hopefully get an hour or two in before dark.

Then I am getting a steak and beer for dinner, or margarettas (special on Thursdays) and some Mexican.

Thanks for help everyone. Good day. No big problems. Wake up a few times a night, but getting enough sleep.
NOPE.
#84 BAH

Congrats on your first smoke free month

icon_mrgreen.gif
#85 bakon

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

33 hit the one month blah. No excitement and minor irritations. Working through, just adjusting. Rode yesterday 175 miles with a group. First big ride since quiting. One guy smoked. Didnt bother me to not smoke but the habit was right there. Used "NOPE". Need some more time especially with things I associated smoking with.

#86 bakon

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:32 PM
34. 'Moving along. Easy day. Smelled it on some people but no cravings, want, thoughts. Read about Skip and his posts. Pretty cool he quit and helped others. Some posters on this thread helped me make it to here. Support from group. Thanks all.

#87 bakon

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

35. Counter will read 700 by days end. Cool beans.

#88 bakon

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

36- Into six week. Cold turkey whole time. Hit gym today. I need to go more. Got a few extra pounds now but nothing to bad. Smoking- easy today. No problems, getting used to doing everything without them. Read some people on site and try not to say anything judgemental, just supportive. I hope they read as much as I did and get educated. Luck wont cut it.

#89 BAH

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Over seven hundred avoided, incredible isnt it?

Luck is nice to say, like how are you.fine..but wont get you far

Your doing fine baconator, eventually you wont even notice what you used to do with a smoke,promise

#90 bakon

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Actually got bakon name in south florida. Key west during a bike week. Buddy sees some cop pulled on side of dinner earlier in week. Says "look they even got bacon on the side". Saw bike from PA with bacon on plate in Key West..so when the group sees the bacon plate they are all over me to try and get something similiar when we get home.
Seems only others with similiar work actually get it. Or anyone old enough to like the movie Smokey and the Bandit.
Next time i see him I'll mention to sandwich.
  •  
#91 BAH

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

https://encrypted-tb...7VnV1WLOY9F1uda

LOVE smokey!!! They closed the Burt Reynolds theatre in Jupiter now, did you ever go? As a kid I thought it was some kind of glamorous place Burt hung out at.

We let our kids watch this recently and they thought it was awesome. Cracked us up that a movie from then could hold their attention now. They were especially fascinated with the CB radios icon_mrgreen.gif

#92 bakon

Never been there. Funny bacon, pig, smokey...dont hear them anymore.
When my son was about 11 we told him about the movie. This was around 2002. He didnt believe me. No way dad. He was all into cars. Finally believes me half way and asks "did the car have a bird on the hood..cuz otherwise its a firebird not a trans am." Standing there like a know it all. Went out and bought the movie on vhs the next day. Probably the only tape i still own.

#93 bakon

38 days and still marching. No problem today. Mornings when I dont have to work move slower than old days. No jumping up to go get my fix. I can roll over and flip on the boob tube. Flat chested now with HD. Guess not many call it that anymore. Anyways no rush and actually getting used to it. 751 on counter.

•  
#94 youngster513

Good job Bakon!

#95 pvprincess

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

BAH said

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHhIV5siYPizZc1AQM3B_IbtNS0H-gxH4A_7VnV1WLOY9F1uda

LOVE smokey!!! They closed the Burt Reynolds theatre in Jupiter now, did you ever go? As a kid I thought it was some kind of glamorous place Burt hung out at.

We let our kids watch this recently and they thought it was awesome. Cracked us up that a movie from then could hold their attention now. They were especially fascinated with the CB radios icon_mrgreen.gif

ahhhh the classics... we have a smokey marathon every now and then.
  •  
#96 bakon

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

42- Going smooth. Thinking less about it. Everyday chores and such are not so strange. Adjusting to life without a smoking turd hanging from my lip.

#97 dancer_I

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

bakon said

42- Going smooth. Thinking less about it. Everyday chores and such are not so strange. Adjusting to life without a smoking turd hanging from my lip.

Good for you. biggrin.png

#98 bakon

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

43-44 Loosing count. Know I am getting somewhere when I cant remember exact number of days. First couple I was hanging on to each like a gold piece. 1, 2,3...10, 11.Now I got to figure it out. Good sign.

Still learning in here. Watching and reading. Bleeding gums- figured I brushed too hard. Didnt even relate it to smoking. Was one tooth for a couple days but didnt see that one.

Mostly read here to see how some others are doing. Pay it foward some. I feel fine mostly and even when down or crabby I dont want to smoke. Did it longer than I ever thought I would. Probably didnt want to quit most of the time. But did some of it.

Always a little envious of people who hiked or biked or walked, ran, whatever activity I knew would leave me sucking wind. Well a flight of stairs never got me, but 5 floors of stairs would. Run,I aint running anywhere when I got a car or motorcycle... you know the thinking. Now a flight of steps or walk is beneficial and enjoyable.

NOPE- great little word.

#99 dancer_I

Good to see ya bakon. NOPE.

#100 candothis

You're doing so good!

Fun to watch your success!

• Like 3

lots more - but holding off, finger is crying and don't want to P O anyone over there that might not want to be over here. maybe I need to pick just my stuff, but they were helpful people on my thread, everyone pushed me on and they were the hero's

i will bring more over if this flies straight, first month was hardest anyways and don't want to give you window lickers too much info to use against me. see what the feeling is anyways, probably only Nancy will like reading the ramblings....she likes everything i do

Two years and don't miss it. So to the newbies, keep posting. Make a year pledge to post at least every day. Just a hello. We need people in all stages of quit. Group is heavy on the old timers right now. We need 1 month, three, five , eight, year and half. All different levels.

As for me. Counter gone. Sgt tossed his much earlier in quit. I kept training wheels longer. As for me posting, ok right now, keeps my mind from other things, winter coming and still enjoy the selfies from all the eggs, belly dancers and bus riders. Hopefully I will know when its time, plenty of good help here. Stay close as long as your feeling it. and a little bit more for good measure.  Little longer, because like Boston says...you'll forget about me once I've been gone.

• Like 4

Bakon, so you will be 2 full years tomorrow, eh? Congratulations! That's terrific!

Please do blog these posts. This record of your journey will help a lot of other quitters. I also find it amazing that even after all this time your avatar doesn't look a day older. Quitting smoking must have been good for your skin!  :)

• Like 3

I made blog- but think something wont be right...attached external link to blog or something like that...think it will disappear if they delete it over there, plus I believe it is linking me over to the other place, which is not what I want. Any comments go over there? definitely not what I want? HELP

ok think I exteral linked this thread now...but blog this don't work.   I am computer dangerous, not good, not bad, no facebook or Skype, just slow moving news groups and threads. so pictures sometimes even get me but lately got some photosomething account and posted through there.

anyways someone with the control buttons want to fix this mess, please remove my blog, don't know how it works and figure I did something wrong because when I hit blog this, it still says I don't have one, probably something to do with external link.

Then come delelte this plea. my finger hurtys and I cant type no more todasy.

• Like 1

lots more - but holding off, finger is crying and don't want to P O anyone over there that might not want to be over here. maybe I need to pick just my stuff, but they were helpful people on my thread, everyone pushed me on and they were the hero's

i will bring more over if this flies straight, first month was hardest anyways and don't want to give you window lickers too much info to use against me. see what the feeling is anyways, probably only Nancy will like reading the ramblings....she likes everything i do

Two years and don't miss it. So to the newbies, keep posting. Make a year pledge to post at least every day. Just a hello. We need people in all stages of quit. Group is heavy on the old timers right now. We need 1 month, three, five , eight, year and half. All different levels.

As for me. Counter gone. Sgt tossed his much earlier in quit. I kept training wheels longer. As for me posting, ok right now, keeps my mind from other things, winter coming and still enjoy the selfies from all the eggs, belly dancers and bus riders. Hopefully I will know when its time, plenty of good help here. Stay close as long as your feeling it. and a little bit more for good measure.  Little longer, because like Boston says...you'll forget about me once I've been gone.

Of course I like everything you do!  You keep us all on track, but keep us from taking ourselves too seriously! :wub:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
bakon

Pea Brain

• photo-thumb-10723.png?_r=1407787927

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

45- Had motorcycle club meetings the last two nights at bars. Couldnt drink, I am working the night shift this week. One bar is smoke free, had some people standing outside at door getting last one in before meeting. Getting cold out so they are huddled in the smoker circle or hunched single style getting the puffs in quick and quiet to return to the main crowd inside with their fresh crapbreath and ashtray perfume. (Sorry but still hate smell) This is the larger HOG chapter meeting with really the only requirement to join is owning a Harley. Ok group, some eating and drinking. Guy uses a microphone to run meeting so its only intimate with who you sit with. Had no thoughts of smoking. Usually puffed away with the other guys outside and couldnt wait to get meeting over to have another and talk bikes.

Other club is smaller, meetings in private room. We can smoke and lay it all out without others around. Usually others in bar at same time and they can smoke in same room when not in use. Stunk. Convinced group to stay out in main area for as long as possible.We ate and bullshtted. Covered club business and before I knew it we were done without ever moving to the smoke room.

Did miss having a beer with the guys, but that happens alot with the work routine.

Glad I wasnt around smoke at both places, dont want it, or need it, dont desire it, dont even think about it, NOPE.

#102 BAH

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Glad I wasnt around smoke at both places, dont want it, or need it, dont desire it, dont even think about it, NOPE.

AWESOME!

#103youngster513

yo Bakon, how you doing? 

#104  bakon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

51-52 days Thanks for asking.Glad to see your still here too. I haven't posted every day because my quit is kind of boring. No problems and such.

Doing fine. I watched Steeler game in smokey club the other night. Wanted one until the place got too smokey. Knew I would blow the whole quit with one puff. Not really tough though, just a thought, not an urge like I needed it, or skin crawling. I could taste it in the air some and the smell was awful so I knew it would lead to a s**t smear down my tongue and regret for the burn in my throat.

Then watching smokers was a weird scene.. White stick hanging out of mouth, pack and lighter with their drinks, money and ashtray in front of them. Cell phone too. Like they need a desk to lay out all the supplies they need to watch the game. Sip of beer, toke the smoke, blow it out the side cuz dont want to blow it in anyones face, sit it down and let it burn in ashtray for a few seconds, smoke drifting right at group but they arent holding it so not their fault, sip beer, toke smoke, repeat....

Then I was talking to someone who is usually pretty nice, she dont smoke but her husband is club manager and smokes. We quit a few years back around same time. Both made about 2-3 weeks on Chantix and both went back to smoking. Not blaming chantix. Dont think either of us really tried. I couldnt wait to get off it and used it for reason my quit didnt work.
Anyways I tell her I quit and she says "Again" . It was like an insult with the tone. Like I was wasting the time and effort. Which is cool with me.

My ex said to me one time "again" and I went two years without firing up just to prove to the b!tch she was wrong. Now I dont think she meant to be a bitch but....I will use this to help fortify my resolve.

#105 BAH

Anyways I tell her I quit and she says "Again" . It was like an insult with the tone. Like I was wasting the time and effort. Which is cool with me.

My ex said to me one time "again" and I went two years without firing up just to prove to the b!tch she was wrong. Now I dont think she meant to be a bitch but....I will use this to help fortify my resolve.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Yeah, it's very intimidating to smokers that you are quit. You are doing what they think about every day and yet they can not hear and are scared to take that leap.

I LOVE boring! Means no BS in my world

Nice to hear from you

#106 bakon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

53- Going well. Posting some on other threads. Like I know what I am talking about.....

Been hitting gym and walking dogs. Sore, every part of me. Been going to gym on and off whole life, go a year, skip a year or two, repeat,...kind of gave up on cardio stuff, mostly weights, dont get out of breath with them when I was smoking...so now I dont smoke and its weights plus treadmill or walk the dogs when I get home. Weather sets course, rain and the dogs stay in.
Have not hit gym hard since April when I had a home improvement accident get me a handful of stiches and two weeks off work. Then vacations hit.... so now I got no yardwork, motorcycle tucked away for winter nap (once a month ride all year for me but riding season is over) home improvements done, no more trips planned.....out of excuses so into the gym. And a new gym, with new equipment, and heat. Old gym was awesome to me, large, dark, cold, like the original Rocky movie. One everyone avoids now a day. Best part equipment was so bad and broken the treadmill would just stop after 5 minutes. Stop dead..oh well guess I am done.Well it closed.
New gym is bright, wife likes it better, has heat so people are showing off their butts and bicepts. Just trying to find a groove and the right equipment. They got machines for everything. Some free weights, but tight back in that corner, only room for a few. SO I am done for today, even fingers are sore.
  •  #107 monojo
Keep it up, bakon- you're doing such a wonderful job! Isn't it great to realize how much better life is as a non smoker? biggrin.png

#108    frezlis

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

Way to go keep on keeping on. I hate working but do it daily I have a treadmill at home. I do that and yoga plus I have hand weights that I work with. You will get more energy now without smoking and working out.

one cigarette away from smoking full time...how do you avoid that? Never smoke again that's how!!!!!

#109   bakon

17 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

54- Went for wings and beer last night at Buffalo Wild Wings. Taste was great- ate HOT, which only 2 levels above and maybe 10 below. Burn was nice but the payback burn out the rear today wasnt. Beer was good- 3 tall Sam Adams seasonal Winter Lager....didnt think of a smoke at all. Not once.
Walked out to go home and there is a huddle of 7 smokers near door. Must have been all part of same group because it was an unusually tight huddle, like a football one (not that English soccer football, American football type huddle where they pick a play) Looked stupid. Realized I drank and ate, not one thought of a smoke, until I saw my old spot outside where I used to huddle against the cold.

Laughed to myself and walked by.

#110 bakon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

8 weeks. 56 days and over 1100 avoided. Pretty cool. Marching on.

youngster513

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Way to go Bakon, this is great how you keep this diary of your journey. You will look back on this in the future as a great memory! KTQ bud!
  •  

#113 bakon

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

60 Today is Thanksgiving. Was easy and food tasted great.
Yesterday was easy until I had a few beers...Then my friends were firing up. Hit me hard out of the blue. Normally I smell smoke when out and hate it. Not then, could taste it and I had to struggle a little to keep from bumming one. Told buddy that one puff would equal a pack to me. Then another pack today. Made it through but suprized the draw it had. No thoughts today and so glad that burning turd never touched my lips. Have to be careful around the beer and others who smoke, still not a cement fixture.
  •  
#114 bakon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

64- Couple of posts I made somewhere else ....
Thoughts on relapse...I have lost year long quits. Two year quit once. Why, because i wanted to smoke and be part of all that went along with it. Didnt want to stay free of it. That simple.
When you quit smoking there is a change in mind and body, which is more enjoyable the longer the quit. I left my quit behind because my crowd of friends looked like their smoking was better. So I joined them.
Was it better.... your all from the nicotine train...you know what I was chasing. What things look like and what they really are is usually different once both feet have jumped in. It was not.
Will you relaspe... only if you want to. That simple.

Urges/Craves...Every urge you beat, you get stronger. The next urge is weaker. The mind grows to realize it cannot make you react to an urge. So again stronger for you, weaker for next urge. This continues until the urge is a thought.
Thoughts are weaker still and the body makes no action. This goes until there is only occasional thoughts, then no thought.

I am only at 2 months, and no thought of smoking unless I choose to think about it. Sure I smell it now and then, but it gives me nothing. No response.
  •  
#115 Jude59

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

You're doing a fantastic job.

#116 bakon

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

70- no problems

#117 christine1960

Bakon,

I love your updates. I am so glad you are continuing to do well in your quit.

#118 bakon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

72- Not one thought today. Steelers beat Ravens too!
Post made elsewhere:
Seeing smokers and being bothered during early quit....Soon you will see smokers different. They are not getting to smoke. They have to or they feel bad. Soon they will look silly. Or perhaps you will feel sorry for them. Too bad there isnt a magic shot to get off the nicoteen. Whoever invents that will be a gazillionaire. Dont know anyone who would not quit if there was no pain.
One shot, your done, no pain, no moods, no stink. I gotta go down in the garage and get to work on that.

On getting nonsmoker husband involved with early quit...You need to share some thoughts with your husband. Most of us are pretty dumb with the feeling stuff, so guidence is needed. And usually while a man listens he is thinking "What do I say to help, how do I help,..." Men dont usually just listen and go "OK" we arent programmed that way. We are fixers, not listeners. So figure out how to say it. "Hey I'm not asking for help, but this smoking thing got me messed up,....or I know you dont smoke but this stuff is hard, my skin is crawling can we go...to help get my mind off it"

Give us husbands a chance to screw up. But point out your just venting, not looking for answers.Its too easy for us to say "Just suck it up and dont smoke" because they dont know how to fix it and are frustrated. Dont frustrate an idiot, help them help you.

#119 TimidTulip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

HI Bakon, great to see the latest update. Very happy for you that you are marching on with your quit!

I noticed smokers outside a pub yesterday, they looked frozen. And pathetic. I had a little chuckle to myself as a walked on by into the dry and warm, happy and content that I never have to interrupt my evening to go and get rained on and frozen stiff, just to get nicotine.

(I love that husbands try to fix everything, it's so sweet. If not always successful laugh.png )
#120 youngster513

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

Good job Bakon!
  •  
  • Like 1

#121 bakon

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

75- Went to motorcycle club meetings last two nights. Worried about these when I started quit. Didnt phase me one bit now. Kind of breezing though now. Got gainsey as the same quit date too, along with youngster. So more eyes watching I dont fail. Not that I want any smokes, but would hate to reset counter and admit it to anyone here. Never met anyone here, but wouldnt want to disappoint either. No worry of that right now. Christmas smells are popping up. Cant remember last time I smelled a holiday.
  •  
#122 BAH

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Funny how we build something to be so big in our minds and turns out to be nothing.

I am watching you too icon_wink.gif
  •  
#123 bakon

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

80- four days off, no problems.
Have to watch I dont become anti smoker, not just a non smoker. Had Christmas party at a Firehouse. Usually guys smoke in garage but tables were set up in there. Smokers were going outside until...they decided to hide in a corner of the garage. Started to smell it and went looking...well did say something to a pair of them about taking it outside. Didnt work but before I took it further I realized it really wasnt up to me. No rules or signs or anything. Plus leadership all smokes so only could rely on their sense of not smoking around the kids. My wife couldnt smell it so maybe I am overly sensitive to odor. Anyways I dont want to be the enforcer of not smoking. Just want to be a non-smoker. Never liked the guy who preached because he quit.
  •  
#124 bakon

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

82 1600+ smokes. Ok today. Just a copy of a post with someone struggling after 20 days. I remember that time of good and bad days. When your not sure you want to stay quit due to not knowing how to live without the habit and the roller coaster of mind games...
Sounds like your body readjusting to not having so many chemicals in it . Enjoy the pain, it's healing your feeling. Body and mind will take some time but it will end all the sudden. One day soon you won't think smoking is the cause of anything You will be past it. It's too easy to blame withdraw for everything. It's not withdraw, it's getting better. Years of smoking and everyone wants three days to be the only struggle. It takes more than that.
  •  
#125 youngster513

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Doing great bakon! I'm doing good as well!
  •  
#126 bakon

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Gainsey still around too. Saw him post the other day. Good job
  •  
#127 bakon

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Three Montrhs. Christmas Day. No urges in forever. No problems. Little weight gain but nothing to worry about. Merry Christmas.
  •  
  • #
128 dancer_I

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

bakon said

Very cool Akron.
  •  
#129 bakon

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

3 months 10 days, but the important one over 2000 smokes avoided. 100 packs. 10 cartons. Thats alot of smoke.
  •  
  •  #130 JTPhilly

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

amazing how fast those little suckers add up huh? Doing great Bakon!
  •  
#131 youngster513

03 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Doing good bakon!
  •  
#132 bakon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

137 days (roughly) 4 months 11 days. Motorcycle club meetings again. No problem. Had to shower when I got home to get smell off of others smoking. The smell is not as repulsive as the first month but I do try to avoid it.

Newbies: at 4 months I feel a gazillion times better. Smoking is just about never a thought. All activites seem normal without it. Dont miss it one bit.

Seems longer than only 137 days. 4+ Months make it sound longer, but back at day 2 is easy to remember. The struggle of every minute, every hour, thoughts of how can I make it even a week. It was minute by minute at times and nothing like today. It is really easy now.

Its nice to know NOPE..NOT ONE PUFF EVER works. I never took a puff and I made it. No relapse or fighting it again and again. and I havent had one puff since my first post and going for a sandwich reward after making it one hour without smoking.
  •  
#133 sintahbean

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Have loved reading this, thank you!

Mary

#134 youngster513

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Looking good Bakon!

t

#135 Cristobal

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

bakon said

Newbies: at 4 months I feel a gazillion times better. Smoking is just about never a thought. All activites seem normal without it. Dont miss it one bit.

Its nice to know NOPE..NOT ONE PUFF EVER works. I never took a puff and I made it. No relapse or fighting it again and again.

Bakon I am very happy you are posting this. There are many Newbies here from january, they need to know this.

All of this is true, but when your quit is new it is impossible to see this.

Cristóbal
#136 bakon

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Youngster and Gainesy quit same time. They know the same thing Cristobal is saying. It doesnt take long to feel normal. At the beginning it feels like Army basic training. Your never going to make it. It hell and cant picture it being complete or over. Like climbing a mountain. I used to post "keep marching". It's a reference to an uphill battle or all the marching and hiking they put you through. Comparing the struggle of marching and quiting the shiitsticks. Put your head down and look at your feet if you need to, but keep moving foward. "Carry on" was a saying. A battle hyme of survival. Just keep marching and footstep by footstep the end gets closer.
What's the end? Never an end, just the end of struggling. Longer for some. The march never really ends, but you crest the mountain and its downhill from there. Feet fall in front of each other, just got to lift them off the ground and let gravity pull them forward. Then you get in shape and you can go further and further. Walking/no smoking gets easier. Everyday/ every step is lighter.

Maybe, eventually, the day comes when you fart rainbows and sing in the rain. Who knows? Just dont get all wrapped up in how hard it is. Enjoy the struggle because when its all behind you... the war stories come out and basic training was some of the best days of your life, because you completed it and moved on to better places. You will say it was hard at the time but not that bad. It was that bad then, but it is so much better now the sting is gone.
  •  

• Like This
#138 RedSkirt

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

bakon said

137 days (roughly) 4 months 11 days. Motorcycle club meetings again. No problem. Had to shower when I got home to get smell off of others smoking. The smell is not as repulsive as the first month but I do try to avoid it.

Seems longer than only 137 days. 4+ Months make it sound longer, but back at day 2 is easy to remember. The struggle of every minute, every hour, thoughts of how can I make it even a week. It was minute by minute at times and nothing like today. It is really easy now.

Its nice to know NOPE..NOT ONE PUFF EVER works. I never took a puff and I made it. No relapse or fighting it again and again. and I havent had one puff since my first post and going for a sandwich reward after making it one hour without smoking.

So happy for you bakon!!!! I remember when you first came on the board. My quit feels remarkably similar to yours. Around the 4 month mark, I really no longer even thought about cigs. I, too, adherred to the NOPE philosophy. I took the option off the table completely and it somehow worked for me without too much stress. I cannot imagine ever smoking--or wanting to smoke--agin. And I feel ah-mazing!!!!

Attitude is everything. Keep up the great work you are doing in taking care of your health and yourself. You deserve to be very proud.
  •  
#139 bakon

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

5 months over 3000 smokes avoided.

No problems, no urges, occasionally think "I used to smoke doing this." But no desire to light a turd. Smell of them is not offensive as before. But I dont like it. Avoid it. Some places still allow it, and when I do go those situations call for a shower when I get home. Went and watched some racing on Thursday, never drink in afternoon but was off and group of guys were going. Felt like I was missing it for about 20 seconds. Then someone says "You quit for a while now. How do you stand the smell?" This guy was a smoker. I know he is ready to start the trip to where I now am.

For the newbies and those struggling...its gets easier. 99 percent of the time I dont think about it. If I stayed away from group it would be less. The urges and wanting fades.It fades expodentially. Longer away, better I feel about it. Was big and long part of my life so still comes up here and there, just very easy to handle. NOPE carried me when the group wasnt pushing me foward. Never want to reset that counter.

Keep marching through, it turns out to be nicer with each step.
  •  
#140 EmmaBunny

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thank you for that encouragement, bakon, and congratulations to you.
  • Like 1

God bakon fair play to you, that would have taken you forever to do but soo worth it,

This is exactly what quitters need to be reading, it helps them to know it's totally normal to feel how they are feeling and to know that their is light at the end of the tunnel is like music to their ears, great to see by really the 4th month you had found your comfort, is great motivation for the newbies in first few days and weeks when it's hard to see the wood from the trees.

I wish I had wrote my feelings down at the start, I would totally recommend anyone starting a quit to do, perfect to see how far you have come and when cravings hit helps to remind you how hard the start was and reminds you that you aint going back to day one ever.

This should be added to the newbie package to get them to start doing the same and to see that someone else felt and went through exactly what they are going through. This and getting them to write their own sos would be extremely beneficial.

Seriously thank you bakon for doing that, that is some amount of work you have put in, that's what paying it forward is all about,

Respect xxx

• Like 1

THE BEST OF THIS POST IS SCAMPS NEAR END. He only ever made 2 posts and this was his first.

photo-thumb-10723.png?_r=1407787927
  •  #141 kickitorfcckit

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Yeah, bakon! You're an inspiration!! Congratulations

Thanks for posting here to help others, too biggrin.png
  •  
#142 christinabell

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

Well done bakon. Five months is a huge achievement. You should be extremely proud of yourself
  •  
#143 bakon

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

March 18th and just hit 3500 smokes missed, dont know exact number of days but counter has
1 week shy of 6 months.

Thought I would update the number of smokes.
3500 at five minutes a pop- 17,500 minutes
or 291.66666 hours
or 12.152777 days.
Over 12 days of constant smoking every second. This is just 1 pack a day of king size.

Laid out end to end
3500 x 3.25 inches = 11375 inches
947.916 feet
315.972 yards
over three football fields (not soccer Gainesy)
almost 2/10th a mile

For you metric folks
3500 x 84 mm=294000mm
294 meters
almost 3/10 kilometer
#144 KickinSticks

posted 18 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Bakon, as someone just starting out, it was great and useful to read through your progress over the past half year. Congrats on keeping the quit!
234px-Steelers_Retro_Black_Helmet_Grey_F

#145 islandgirl

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Congratulations Bacon on your great quit. Very inspiring journey
  •  
#146 bakon Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:17 AM
Thank you both. Live in Steeler country but would prefer being on an island
  •  
  • #147 KickinSticks

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, grew up in Steeler Country but never moved back after college. Now that there's the direct ticket, we're free to move about the country.
  •  
#148 bakon

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

6 months still marching
#149 youngster513

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Gyeah, 6 months bud! Marching on!
  •  
#150 Shaun

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Your doing great!!!
  •  
  • Unlike
#151 babs609

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

excellent soldier!! smile.png

doing fabulous!
#152 bakon

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

7 months and doing fine. The temptations are all around but never think twice about it. Saw a half a burned one in a friends ashtray ther other day. Looked at it like "I remember you. I remember how many times you tasted good for the first puff only to let me down with the second. Crappy taste left on my tongue." Smiled and walked away. Friend tried quiting soon after I did. Said the gum dehydrated him and still left him smoking at night. Cant put all the knowledge of this board out there in one conversation. Sounds preachy. How do you tell someone cold turkey is the best asnd easiest route when it sounds the hardest? and is the hardest at first. I didnt even try to explain he didnt really quit and made it worse with what he tried. Just thought to myself "He just isnt ready yet." I could see when I told him I hit 7 months he wished he was me.

There is a good signature on one of the people with more time than me...something like ...So many times we feel we wish we were still smoking, and when we were smoking we wished we were here.
  •  
#153 jimmy009

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

keep on marching forword 7 months is super way to go icon_mrgreen.gificon_cool.gif

#154 bakon

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Almost 8 months and last week was harder than normal. Was a vacation on the motorcycle and smoked a lot more than usual for bike week events in the past. Riding at day and drinking at night plus crowd is more smokers than a regular crowd. Just associated the whole event including the place we stay with the habit. Now I didn't pick any up. Bum any. Buy or borrow. But I did think about it more often and so had to stay on guard. Back home now and have no thoughts of it. In fact the smell has changed to me again. Not a pleasant smell but not like s*** either. Like the smell when I was a kid and an adult fired up. Didn't like it. Harsh. But not that stale klingy crap ashtray odor.
  •  
  •  
#155 slocum

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Congrats on 8 months.

Just remember, any junkie thinking is a lie. Smoking never did do anything for you and never will. biggrin.png

#156 EmmaBunny

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

I bet it was really difficult in that environment, but you held tight and made it through successfully! Congratulations for that. And thank you for reminding all of us that we need to stay alert.
  •  
  •  
#157 bakon

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Wife and I have been pretty good with the gym for a few years but I never spent much time with the cardio stuff. Knew I should not smoke was more important than riding a stationary bike for my health. And why get out of breath walking in place on treadmill. Again I was a smoker and three flights of steps could make me piss and moan. Avoid the cardio much as I could, maybe 5-10 minutes and move on. So hit some weights, fake a few sit ups and feel like I was doing my part. Well 8 months quit and I am ready to work on the heart and lungs now. Do some walking a few days a week with the dogs, maybe a 1-1.5 miles in a 15-20 minute route, depending on weather.

Lungs and such feeling fine, dont piss and moan walking anymore. Steps or hills are fine. Working at gym still so muscles are stronger than most my age and not overweight, so summer is here and we are doing some bike riding.
  •  
  •  
#158 anna173

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:47 AM

congrats!! Hang in there!! you can do this!!
  •  
  • Unlike

#159 scamp
  • NEWLY_REGISTERED
  • bullet_black.png
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

Hi Bakon,

I'm more a reader than a poster - Just thought I would post and let you know, that you have helped massively, a 40 year old married guy (20+ year smoker) sitting in Sydney Australia on the other side of the world,

I started the journey 95 days ago, and especially at that time, i was googling and reading every article and forum under the sun, anything to to distract myself
It sure was tough back then. For some reason your posts really struck a chord with me, and i kept returning and reading your thread over and over again over the weeks and months.

That NOPE approach sure does work, i credit that simple concept with getting me to 95 days, as well as your "starting out" thread.
I know i'm not out of the woods yet, but i'm thinking about it less and less, and it is so much easier to brush off than just a month or two ago.

Anyway trust you are staying strong, and thank you from some one you'll never meet, but whom's taken such inspiration from your words and progress, - i bet you never thought as you wrote these, that later you'd be helping someone in Australia in getting the strength to beat the evil sticks !!

best
scamp
  •  
#160 bakon

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Scamp,
thanks buddy. I am closing in on 9 months. I have been watching the "old timers" of the group, people with three months or more when I joined, now get their year mark. I think the group helped me alot and along with a counter I could watch the progress. I would recommend posting some here to help the others, but also get yourself a counter on your signature line. That little thing kept adding days and weeks. I never wanted to reset it and explain to the group that after a few beers I had no control over myself and ended up ruining the quit.
Where am I now- well in the background here. Lots of folks saying exactly what I would and dont want to be a smart ass on some posts so best to move on and leave it alone. Other times I feel I got to be Mr Obvious and say the simple thing Pap would say to me when I was young.
Thank you for the complements. Those really were my first posts and the progress went pretty fast. I go back and read it myself at times, but you made my day writing what you did. I will have a beer later for you. I have lost quits longer than this before, but never had a place to come and talk about it either. We have some things in common. Over 20 years smoking, I am just a few years older and although we both speak english, I find the movies with you guys talking hillarious. Those guys from England (One of my quit buddies Gainesy) are funny, but I have to listen to what they sat twice sometimes because it is so fast and pronounced so different.
Welcome to the group and hope to read some more of your posts.

• Like 1

"On getting nonsmoker husband involved with early quit...You need to share some thoughts with your husband. Most of us are pretty dumb with the feeling stuff, so guidence is needed. And usually while a man listens he is thinking "What do I say to help, how do I help,..." Men dont usually just listen and go "OK" we arent programmed that way. We are fixers, not listeners. So figure out how to say it. "Hey I'm not asking for help, but this smoking thing got me messed up,....or I know you dont smoke but this stuff is hard, my skin is crawling can we go...to help get my mind off it"

Give us husbands a chance to screw up. But point out your just venting, not looking for answers.Its too easy for us to say "Just suck it up and dont smoke" because they dont know how to fix it and are frustrated. Dont frustrate an idiot, help them help you."

::::::::::::::::

Thank you Bakon, for the whole blog so far, but especially the above. My H quit 12 years ago and while he is very supportive, he gets a little testy if I talk too much about the process (and pain) of my quitting. I think he IS frustrated that he can't just fix it for me and at the same time worried that I might relapse.  I was reading his testiness as his thinking I should just suck it up and get on with it.

K