Addicted to nicotine Lozenges

Elena

Hi everyone, 

I quit smoking a long time ago, but for several years I am addicted tot Nicotinell lozenges. 

I never heard about anyone else who is or was in that situation and I wonder if someone here has any experience with it. I really feel ashamed!

I cannot find anywhere that it has any long term health risks, does anyone know about this?

The reason to quit I would say is mainly financially. It costs me more than 1000 euros a year!

But I am really really really addicted and there was nothing holding me back continously popping a nicotinell so my exposure to nicotine might be even higher than a heavy smoker so I have severe withdrawal symptoms which I try to taper with some nicotine patches. 

I have suffered a lot of depression and anxiety and nicotine was like a crutch to me, and including my smoking period I think I am addicted to nicotine for 27 years or so (how did I get here??)

I feel so much craving and also so much anxiety and irritability, I am suffering so much and somehow feel so lonely

I really hope someone has some advice for me and can help me get through this

• Like 5

I'll start be saying, I'm no expert nor am I a doctor but here's my 2 cents worth:

Yes, I have heard of people continuing to imbibe in various nicotine suppliments for years after they quit so you are NOT alone in that respect.

From my experience of quitting, the issue of ridding my body of nicotine was not a major issue. The real challenge was gradually changing my lifestyle to not include lighting up a smoke every hour or so when going about my daily routine. That took a good year or more to really solidify my new lifestyle and feel comfortable with it.

If you were to stop the nico lozenges all nicotime would be out of your body within roughly 72 hours (3 days). That's the phyiscal reality; not the mental/emotional reality.

I'm going to suggest that perhaps your fixation with the lozenges is more mental than physical in nature. If I were in your situation I think I might try going to a registered hypnotist to seek help in adjusting your mental fiz=xation on using the lozenges. Either that on a psycologist for a few session only because I think this is more a mental thing than physical.

Just my opinion. Food for thought maybe? Hope you find an answer to your situation. Perhaps others will have some suggestions as well?

By the way ... I got use to sucking hard candies while I was quitting. Keeping my mouth busy I suppose? I still suck on candies from time to time today. A habit I picked up while quitting and never really got rid of. The only difference between me and you is that my candies don't have nicotin in them but clearly I also have a mental fixation now on having something in my mouth? 

• Like 5

Hi @Elena, welcome to quittrain. As you've seen, by using the lozenges you just have no idea how much nicotine you're actually using in a day. As reciprocity said, it only takes about 3 days to rid the body of the nicotine but they are difficult days as you know. 

I too sucked on soft peppermint puffs and used an air cigarette to trick my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. I also quit smoking in areas I always smoked so I could disassociate those areas with smoking. You could do the same thing with lozenges. For instance, if you normally have one after lunch, suck on a piece of candy instead. Also keep your mind busy so you don't dwell on not having your fix. Games are a great distraction. We have a great games section here I also play Sudoku. Those take a lot of focus so I think work great.

Regardless you will have to contend with some discomfort as your body throws a tantrum to get what it wants but its only temporary and you have us now to help you along the way. Sometimes just posting how you're feeling is enough to make the crave go away too 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Long ago I started using the nicotine lozenges to help me quit smoking, then I had to keep smoking to quit the lozenges........

Straight up, it is an addiction to nicotine no matter which way you get it into your body and needs to be dealt with accordingly. 

Not putting nicotine into your body is the answer, how ever you can make that happen, everyone has a different path.  

All the best ending the addiction. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Elena .

So glad you have reached out,

As long as you keep putting nicotine in your body , you will stay addicted  .

have you tried weening down ,using something in between such as regular gum .. it will keep your mouth busy . 
I would suggest reading Allen Carr the easy way to stop smoking only change the smoking to Lozenges.

The method would be the same 

If you decide to go cold turkey 

stay close to the train we will help you along xx 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Given that you suffer with depression and anxiety, you might want to work with a doctor on this.  It could be dangerous to drastically alter your nicotine intake.  Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are some anti-depressants that help with getting off nicotine.  I think Wellbutrin is one of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1