Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Nico Monster

Featured Replies

I've noticed a very insidious trick that the NM uses. Prior to quitting, the environment seemed full of quit advice such as literature at pharmacies, doctors surgeries etc.

Now that I've quit, the NM seems to have sneaked around and removed a lot of it. Honestly, the day after I quit, my chemist's little health advice table was lacking in the usual stop smoking advice leaflets. Similarly with my doctor's surgery. 

To rub it in the NM has got into my sister's mind.  Being an ex nurse she was always banging on about why I should quit but just before I did, I mentioned maybe giving up and she said, "Well, they're your lungs, it's nothing to do with me." I couldn't believe it.

The moral of the tale folks is that the demon will never go away, it just adapts and morphs into an even more devilish entity.

I just say, "Get thee behind me Nico Monster, I'm a NOPE guy."

That is the attitude Mightyboosh.  You just keep Noping and showing that Nico Monster who is in control.  He may never go away but will eventually become a distant memory.  Just keep looking forward to a life of freedom!

Take control of your thoughts as quickly as possible.

Breathe Deep.

Look at something of beauty.

Reward yourself for every reclaimed receptor !

The NM has NO power mighty - YOU do. That's why he needs you to act on his behalf. You are right though, he's a sneaky little bastard and will absolutely know when you are at your weakest point before he pounces. Give him the finger 🖕

What's really going on is your own brain (which is used to junkie thinking) battling against you because you have stopped supplying what is craves - nicotine. Don't worry though because the more distance you put between you and smoking, the NM will slowly die. It just takes time. It WILL happen though :) 

Oh yes the nicomonster will try any and every trick in the book to win you back, especially during this first hard month. When I was having a bad day I knew to either stay close to home or ask my husband to go with me because I didn't trust myself not to give in. Heck I even drank a few extra beers once just so I wouldn't be able to drive to the store lol.

Just keep telling yourself that this too shall pass and when it does its one more trigger you've defeated making the next time much easier.

You're doing great and love your ticker :)

Yes the NM lurks behind many corners ready to latch on -- but the more you NOPE and not submit to the NM the less power it has and the more it disappears.  Be strong as you are and be ever vigilant -- you can do this!!!

39 minutes ago, jillar said:

You're doing great and love your ticker :)

Ummm ..... OK; how'd you get your ticker working?

 

I'm gonna make a new one too. We'll see if it works or not.

24 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Ummm ..... OK; how'd you get your ticker working?

 

I'm gonna make a new one too. We'll see if it works or not.

 

Hope they work for you guys :) 

Edited by jillar

1 hour ago, mightyboosh said:

I've noticed a very insidious trick that the NM uses. Prior to quitting, the environment seemed full of quit advice such as literature at pharmacies, doctors surgeries etc.

Now that I've quit, the NM seems to have sneaked around and removed a lot of it. Honestly, the day after I quit, my chemist's little health advice table was lacking in the usual stop smoking advice leaflets. Similarly with my doctor's surgery. 

 

I experienced a bit of altered perception during the early days of my quit as well.

 

It seemed like when I was smoking everyone was wagging their finger at me and telling me all the reasons I needed to quit.

 

Then I quit and it seemed like images promoting smoking and cigarettes became far more prevalent.

 

It was a matter of heightened perception combined with a bit of imagined martyrdom...The whole planet is working against me man!

 

With time things began to even out a bit.  I do still notice big tobacco's "product placement" in media.  However, I also see the anti-tobacco campaigns now.  Before, I had become quite adept at building mental blocks when anyone was trying to warn me of the dangers of smoking.

  • Author
10 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Ummm ..... OK; how'd you get your ticker working?

 

 

I just did a new one again but I cut and pasted the symbols rather than the banner. I know someone earlier said the opposite worked for them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.