caffeine withdrawal

Sazerac

I am on day 6 or 7.

My innards have started to regulate themselves.

Headache GONE.

I feel markedly GOOD.

I like this very very much.

Also nice not friggin' stroking out.

That would ruin anyone's day. 

Stewie !  There is light, lovely light at the end of the tunnel and it won't take too long, bebe.

Hang in there my little pumpkin.  My darling Pork Chop.

My beloved Lad.  Stay focused and be kind to yourself.

S

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you're feeling better @Sazerac :) I never had a caffeine problem myself. When I smoked I would have two cups in the morning but since quitting I only have one a day. And never missed that second cup....

• Like 3

I feel GREAT.

Sometimes a vague slight headache and minor intestinal re-adjustments.

Nothing to write home about.  

It was horribly rugged the first 4/5 ? days and I would recommend crawling under a rock for the de-tox

but, damn....everything feels so much better and clearer, I am amazed.

I am also taking my vitamins and getting added boosts.

How are you PorkChop ?

Really cranky, I would guess and maybe in a fetal position with a hot water bottle.

Hang in there.  Take your vitamins.  Take walks to get innards moving.

Remember this discomfort (ahem) is temporary.

I'm sorry if you are hurting, it isn't a picnic, I know.

It is worth it.

S

• Like 3

Day 10.

Feeling Good.

I think the gruesome part is over.

Now, minor adjustments for innards and ignoring triggers (triggers are NOTHING as intense as nicotine, not even close).

Truthfully, the first few days were v painful, headaches and belly cramps hit me at day 2/3 lasting a few days.

Heating pads and Ibuprofen, very simple diet. OTC constipation/stool softener. 

I was a full on biotch (even had fun with that)

I would have had to take time off from work (fetal position with heating pad).

Thank you for all your support.

Morning and teatime bevs now include:

Herbal teas,

Fresh Ginger slices in water (hot or cold) YUM.

A squeeze of half lemon, teasp of honey, hot or cold water  YUM

Water Water Water

Water Water Water

I had to take immediate action due to Blood Pressure incident

but, my recommendation would be to ease off caffeine (like Jo is planning) if you can.

I copied this below from caffeine informer.com  (bs site, charging you for de-tox kits but, had some good info)

"Practical Examples:

Coffee should be reduced by a 1/4 of a cup every two to three days. (This is difficult if you don’t make coffee at home.)

Energy Drinks can be reduced by about 1/4 a can every two to three days.

Soda can be reduced by cutting back a 1/2 a can every two to three days or by a 1/4 a bottle if drinking a 16 fl.oz. size.

Tea can be reduced by cutting back 1/2 cup every two to three days.

Pros:

Withdrawal symptoms are much less severe or can be completely avoided.

Most people can continue to function and be productive.

Mild to no caffeine headache to deal with.

Less shocking to the system.

Cons:

Can take longer to detox depending on the beginning daily dose amount.

Requires tracking caffeine and being intentional about what’s being consumed and how much.

2. The Cold Turkey Method

With this method, a person simply ceases to consume caffeine. While this can be the fastest way to detox, it does come with a price and a huge shock to your system.

Pros: 

The fastest way to detox from caffeine.

A realization of caffeine’s influence on body functioning.

Cons:

Can produce severe caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

A person may be out of commission for 1 to 3 days or even weeks if the addiction was severe.

Can lead to a loss of productivity.

Prepare in advance for the cold turkey method!

If you choose the cold turkey method it’s important that you know what to expect and to prepare in advance for the debilitating withdrawal symptoms that can follow.

Plan ahead so that the first couple days of detox fall on a weekend or work holiday.

Have pain relievers on hand and avoid driving.

Have plenty of food on hand to avoid the need to drive anywhere for food.

Prepare some meals in advance like soup or other easy to digest foods.

Talk with family members about what you are about to do, what they can expect, and how they can help.

Inform your co-workers and/or your boss about your caffeine detox.

• Like 2

You are a wise one Jo. 

One day at a time, one issue at a time...well that would be nice....ONE issue at a time. Ha Ha HA...on what planet would that be on ?

Hang in there Jo, you have a splendid quit going.

Stewie ?  Calling S T E W I E !  

I tell you, if I didn't have the BP cray to inspire me (force me) to quit caffeine

I wouldn't have done it....certainly not cold turkey.  It is gruesome.

Tapering off seems a much kinder remedy.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, StewieTech said:

I failed, drank coffee at the end of the first day. Starting August 1st a more serious attempet. I mean, damn the withwral is real

Are you going to cold turkey or ween off like Saz suggested above? You know what they say buggalugs, If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Are you going to cold turkey or ween off like Saz suggested above? You know what they say buggalugs, If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

Cold turkey buttocks. I feel thats the only way to quit some substances. I mean with alcohol or heroin you must have some support, because the withdral can literally kill you but with nicotine and caffeine i feel the only thing you need is will power and a pair of balls. Been drinking 4/5 nespressos a day for quite some months now, they are expensive. That shit gotta go. Thanks buttocks and sally.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Aww thanks mommy. I will sure dot it. Tell you though, that first day, i was out of energy and depressed and kept thinking about my sweet coffee. Man, a man must do some sacrifices now and then right?

• Like 3

You can do this Stewie!  Once the big one has been conquered, you know you can do anything you want.  I'm also glad to be completely free of any addictions- for the first time in my adult life, I might add. It's a great feeling and something to be really proud of for those of us who have those tendencies. (ALL of us?!?).  Hope it goes smoothly for you on 8/1!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, StewieTech said:

Aww thanks mommy. I will sure dot it. Tell you though, that first day, i was out of energy and depressed and kept thinking about my sweet coffee. Man, a man must do some sacrifices now and then right?

I thought I was skating through the worst during the first couple days, then the big shit hit.

It was real pain, head and belly cramps.

no energy, angry.

Prepare yourself with soothing tonics for your belly.  Tonic, Chamomile.  A heating pad.

OTC intestinal tract stuff.

Headache meds. 

Crawl under a rock, lock up your weapons.

Be really really KIND to your sweet self, PorkChop.

You can get to the other side...if I did....you can.  I know this.

Love you like a pork belly, baby.

S

p.s.  I am still more than a little bitchy but, the head/belly pain is gone or very very vague.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I  am two months caffeine free.

My blood pressure has stabilized and now w/out meds. Yay.

I also quit drinking, cut way back on salt, improved my diet...got serious about vitamins.

I am glad to have caffeine out of my body. I feel really good.

It was pretty gruesome the first few weeks and I appreciate y'all for cheering me on.
There haven't been any real craves ( certainly nothing like nicotine !)

just nostalgic thoughts and the smell is still pleasing but, I have no desire to ramp up the addiction. 

Coffee/caffeine holds no benefits for me but, I surely enjoyed it for 50 years !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thar's a big drop @Window Licker ... if you cold turkey from 5-6 espressos a day you would have been ripping your skin off. But now I kinda want an espresso... oh well putting the cafetera on. I love my coffee too... I don't think I am ready to say goodbye to it yet. 

@Sazerac you are amazing. Well done on two whole months that is amazing.

I don't think I can do it... I've been drinking tea since I could hold a cup and coffee since I was 10.... I love my caffine... tea, coffee, chocolate.... but like Pork Chop I have definately cut down... I was having 3-4 espressos (short blacks in Melbourne) a day and at least 1 cap (cappuccino) and 3-4 flat whites (its an Aussie thing... sort of a cross between a latte and a cappuccino ... then I would also have at least 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of instant coffee..... so now I have either a tea day or a coffee day... not a both day... I might have a espresso once every day or so and I will either have 2-3 instants a day or 2-3 teas a day. So that's an improvement. I think I'm just not ready to give up this addiction yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hmmm...I have never had a cup of coffee, ever! Cigarettes and Coca-Cola were my addictions!

About 30 years ago I started cutting down on the Coca-Cola....by switching to Diet Coke. Of course, I had to wean myself off the Coca-Cola because I couldn't stand the taste of Diet Coke....gradually I was able to stop drinking Coca-Cola at all. Then when menopause reared its ugly head i switched to Caffeine free Diet Coke! That took some getting used to.....it affected me physically....tired all the time and very cranky.....sleep disturbances...but it did help with the hot flashes and night sweats (they stopped six months after they started and never returned!). 

Now I am trying to get off the Diet Coke merry go round....as diet sodas wreak havoc with your body pretty much like nicotine does! I am substituting flavored seltzer and have found a brand that I actually like....something about the bubbles in this brand that I like and they make many different flavors... pomegranate my fave....although I am sure the "natural flavors" will probably be found harmful at some point in the future! 

Edited by Rozuki
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...

I made it a year w/out coffee or any discernible caffeine.

Lately, been wanting it more out of nostalgia than an actual need/want but, I'm going to steer clear of it. 

BP is excellent and my issue may have just been a weird anomaly and not due to caffeine at all

still, it is great to be free of another addiction.

The first weeks are certainly gnarly though, that is for sure

and I would recommend cutting back over cold turkey.

(sure miss The Lad, @Stewietech)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 8:02 AM, Sazerac said:

I made it a year w/out coffee or any discernible caffeine.

Lately, been wanting it more out of nostalgia than an actual need/want but, I'm going to steer clear of it. 

BP is excellent and my issue may have just been a weird anomaly and not due to caffeine at all

still, it is great to be free of another addiction.

The first weeks are certainly gnarly though, that is for sure

and I would recommend cutting back over cold turkey.

(sure miss The Lad, @Stewietech)

I am still caffeine and nicotine free.

Free is a good place to be.

I wanted to include this other thread about caffeine

'Now I Want To Quit Sugar and Caffeine Too

and a great video from our friend, Joel,

about Possible Changes In Caffeine Tolerance 

• Like 3