Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'fitness'.
I think it might be good for me to start doing yoga on a regular basis. For various reasons, I do not want to take a class so I have to teach myself. What I want is to get my mind and body better connected and in better balance. I want to be more limber and physically stronger. I want my breathing to benefit every corner of my mind and my body and I want to stimulate the flow of blood and energy flow to every corner, too. And I want to dissipate stress and live more in the moment. So I think that I need to incorporate yoga philosophy and spirituality along with yogic breathing and physical exercises. Is that correct? The problem I'm having is that when I research yoga teaching (like via library books and DVDs or via online websites and YouTube videos) 95% of them are just teaching poses and exercises; no philosophy, spirituality or breathing. The other 5% teach the complete set of skills but they appear to want you to throw over your life and become a yogi (or so it seems). That's really not practicable. So those of you who have experience with yoga, have you found a way to combine spirituality, breath control and physical exercises? Do you, for example, meditate and breath for maybe 10 minutes and then do 30 minutes of exercises (asanas)? Or do you assume a pose and hold it while you focus on controlled breathing? How do you learn those aspects of yoga beyond the physical poses and exercises? Do you read books about yoga or something? I would appreciate any advice you can give me.
I am the opposite of a natural runner. However - as my quit grew - I decided that I wanted to enjoy the health benefits, create a distraction and offset some of the weight gain. So - I am in week 2 of a "Couch to 5 kilometres" programme. I have a free app on my phone, a very swish armband thing to hold the the phone - and a pair of running shoes with more colours in them than are in my entire wardrobe (they cost an arm and a leg, have go faster stripes and everything :lol: ) The program starts off with 60 seconds running and 2 minutes walking - repeated 8 times..gradually it increases the running time. The plan being that in 9 weeks I will be running 5k. So - any advice from experienced runners appreciated - and any other learners- join in. If you are thinking about it - my advice would be GO FOR IT....I feel great! :D