Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MarylandQuitter

Administrators

Everything posted by MarylandQuitter

  1. Video discusses how longer-term quitters sometimes lose perspective of what really constitutes a bad day when it comes to thoughts for cigarettes. Click the link for the discussion thread on this topic w/ video. :) http://www.quittrain.com/topic/3148-long-term-quitters-who-say-they-are-having-bad-days/
  2. @QuitTrain You can tweet a thread from the forum and it will post the thread title and link. It will not show replies etc., just the name of the thread. We will also be posting daily tweets about quitting smoking and staying quit. Most people have Twitter and if you do, you'll get notifications sent to your smart phone (if you have push notifications turned on on your phone/app) Please follow us on Twitter. PS, I'm still setting up the graphics so bare with us. :)
  3. What you're seeing is a blog that I featured of Colleen's. We do this from time-to-time. When I feature a blog, it's only going to show a predefined amount of text. There is a "read more" button at the right of the featured blog. :)
  4. No but evidently is was you. lol
  5. Hell yes it's normal! We can actually taste our food when we quit! Enjoy for now and use it as motivation to stay quit. You can always start running or walking if you're concerned about weight gain but it's much easier to lose a few pounds than it is to quit smoking again. I Know I'm Going To Gain Weight If I Quit Smoking! This video discussing misconceptions about weight gain, and warning about physiological adjustments and changes that may occur after quitting. Stresses importance of not writing off symptoms after quitting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeHXoqpKq1c&list=PL76365B6CE2DA076B Related articles: http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_Index_06... Related videos: Weight control concerns after quitting smoking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgIWjM... Going back to normal after quitting smoking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUKBBc... Using cigarettes to self-medicate pre-existing conditions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVk2Ve...
  6. I didn't know you were a TWD fan. Have you seen all the previous seasons?
  7. Oh, all the awesome documentaries on this site. My favorite is "Death In The West, The Marlboro Story". I get so absorbed in these documentaries that it kept and still keeps my mind where it needs to be.
  8. This video is what kept me on the straight and narrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEyGdqwjmQ
  9. Quit now and let your body get to the business of healing itself. :)
  10. This is definitely a good one. We rationalized smoking so well didn't we? We knew it was ruining our health, would cripple and eventually kill us, yet we puffed away. Gotta die from something right? Yeah, right. Although this is true, we're all going to die and we'll die from something but does it have to be 20-30 years early? Rationalize your quit until you know the truth about smoking. If we rationalized years of smoking knowing the how bad it was for us, why not rationalize quitting knowing how much good it's doing for us? One thing we're all very good at is lying to ourselves. It's innate and there is nothing we can do to change it. We believe we're good drivers when we could be horrible drivers. We think we have a really good sense of humor when in fact we may not (shut up, Ava :)), think we're good cooks and the list can go on and on. My point is that we can do anything that we put our minds to and are capable of convincing ourselves of just about anything. We convinced ourselves that smoking benefited us in some way when in fact it did not. Use those veteran rationalization skills that you've honed over most likely several years or decades and rationalize your quit and never take another puff.
  11. My thoughts are with you and your family. That type of stress is serious stuff and I'm glad that you recognized it and keeping it separate from your quit. :) This is a really good question and I've been thinking about it since I read this thread earlier. Smoking was definitely a crutch for me but I didn't replace it with another. Before I quit I still believed that smoking calmed me down and all that nonsense so I wondered how I would even enjoy my morning coffee without 5 cigarettes. Once I quit, I never needed to replace that "crutch" because I realized that it was just a false sense of security. I stopped believing in cigarettes and just dealt with life as it came. Great question. Some replace it with running and many other things that actually make us healthier (instead of killing us) but for me, I just found life easier to deal with without the added stress that smoking caused.
  12. Jenny made a very good observation earlier. We have a very active blog section which replaces some of the things that would otherwise be written as threads instead of blogs. Our site is very active. Trust me, I pay the bill and know our rolling average of unique users per 48 hours. :)
  13. It's the strongest encryption available. :)
  14. From now on, when you log in, you'll be doing so through SSL encryption to further protect your information. The next time you login, you'll have to enter your username and password and just click to remember just as before. SSL will not be used on the forum because it's public and videos and images won't work unless they're from a site which uses SSL. The store is also SSL.
  15. I know for me, my family truly had not a clue about the addiction much less what it was like to quit. This is why I suppose my doctor told me to get involved in a support group. :) Nobody Understands What I'm Going Through Video discusses what family members can and cannot do to help their loved ones to quit smoking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9G8yV29vI
  16. Nobody Understands What I'm Going Through Video discusses what family members can and cannot do to help their loved ones to quit smoking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9G8yV29vI
  17. Cold Turkey Quitting Defined http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hcilP83CHg
  18. Chrysalis, Thank you for your thoughts. The moderators and I will discuss and see where we're at. Please keep the suggestions flowing as we want to be as open to everyone as possible. "None of us are as smart as all of us".
  19. Great idea. Additionally, I'm going to see if I can have a link to just that in the email you get when you register. Love the idea.
  20. One of my daughter's favorite songs is this. She calls it "The Love Song" and we dance to it. Cutest thing. Also, Tracey's new haircut looks fantastic. Thought so straight away. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6qUZeP5jA
  21. Hi Old Gardener! Welcome to QT! Thanks for introducing yourself. Nice to meet you and congrats on your two months. The train runs 24/7, 365 days per year and we're always here whenever you need anything. PS, the coffee is free and don't let anybody (*cough-cough*) charge you for it. :)
  22. Tell them it's not "green" to make you drive in each month. lol That is a stupid law.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.