April 16, 201412 yr Around 2004, I started getting sinus infections out of nowhere. As time went on, they increased in frequency and duration. Sometimes I had to be on antibiotics long term to get rid of it. I almost always had a sinus infection. It was a miserable way to live. Fast forward to 2013, I saw an ENT. Last April, I had a septoplasty, turbinectomy, concha bullosa re-section and sinus surgery on my ethmoid and maxillary sinus cavities. While I could breathe better and the sinus infections weren't as bad, I still got them. The doctor told me smoking was probably the culprit. Yeah right, I thought. A couple months later, I quit during a sinus infection. I have had one sinus infection since then, just one. Coincidence? I think not :)
April 16, 201412 yr Mine was how much I can smell and taste everything so differently and how much I smell better, the downside I can smell horrid smells better too, especially stale smoke on people Its all been positive though and continues to be :)
April 16, 201412 yr So happy to hear you aren't getting them as much Colleen! Sinus infections are brutal. Tracey, I'm the same way. I can smell everything, good and bad. Sometimes I wish I couldn't smell as good as I do, lol. People stink!
April 16, 201412 yr Author So happy to hear you aren't getting them as much Colleen! Sinus infections are brutal. Tracey, I'm the same way. I can smell everything, good and bad. Sometimes I wish I couldn't smell as good as I do, lol. People stink! Yes, yes teenage boys are stinky, especially when they pretend to take a shower. lol I can tell by scent alone across the room, if my son has washed his hair or not. :o As unpleasant as that might seem, I am glad for it!
April 16, 201412 yr I got taller, smarter and better looking. Google began asking me questions and the most interesting man in the world applauds to my stories.
April 16, 201412 yr I got taller, smarter and better looking. Google began asking me questions and the most interesting man in the world applauds to my stories. wake up Bakon ...you overslept :-)
April 16, 201412 yr I think I smile every night in my sleep. I had bad smokers cough (of course it wasn't from smoking..it was a sinus problem). I am a side sleeper and sometimes when I rolled over I started coughing and it woke me up. The coughing continued and I had to sit up and drink a glass of water. Now I sleep silently...I can toss and turn (not that I want to) there won't be any coughing involved :-)
April 16, 201412 yr It wasn't a cough. It was a pillow being placed over your face and I quit because I moved under someone else's bed Boogieman
April 16, 201412 yr I know this is going to sound stupid. The question was about "unexpected benefits" ......and some people's top reasons for quitting was the financial cost. I seriously never considered how much $10.50 could add up. These days, I have handfuls of change in my pockets, my purse, the cup holder in my car. And get this: it stays there! For days...weeks even!! Plus, here in Canada we don't have paper bills for $1 and $2 we have coins so "change" can really add up. I probably have $30 in my car cup holder that never would have been there if I was smoking. Every single time my 16yr old has asked me for money in the last 2 months, I've had it. Now.....I think I'll go clean out my cup holder and pockets and buy a treat :)
April 16, 201412 yr CanadiN quarters end up here at the time. Got to be Canuck fans can't see difference after couple of iron city beers.
April 16, 201412 yr I was thinking the same thing- money actually stays in my wallet the other day I looked there was $50.00 few days later still $50.00 until yesterday I spent it- not on cigarettes though.
April 16, 201412 yr Having extra money in your pocket is definitely a good thing! More money for cheese. :) I picked up a piece of 7yr old white cheddar today. :) I dont even have to hide it in the fridge because the people in my house wouldnt touch 7yr old food......they think its gross. Mind you....they eat cheez whiz and processed cheese slices. Something wrong with them :)
April 16, 201412 yr Ok, you said unexpected, I expected money, no cough, feeling better and I continue to be delighted with those things. Unexpected was that cough after "ya know" where you had to hold the cough in otherwise you'd eject his "ya know" and now I don't...so that's an unexpected benefit lol.
April 16, 201412 yr Mmmm,what beniefts..... Oh ya having my two feet ,to do the shuffle.....feels good
April 17, 201412 yr I met a lot of people willing to help and guide me, to entertain me, to make me feel their struggle, to listen to me, to count with me, to kill extra time I suddenly had, to reassure me, and to celebrate my milestones as I celebrated theirs. I will probably never meet any of you but quitting has brought me the unexpected benefit of your company. Quitting has a lot of benefits and it can include new friends that understand what you are what you are trying to do. I care for all of you.
April 17, 201412 yr Periodontal Disease ("Gum Disease") ==> Gone "No sign of active disease, Mr. Sarge " -- Ms. Hygenist Spring Allergies (20+ year sufferer) ==> Gone Winter Colds (usually 2 to 4 a year) ==> Gone Haven't had a cold or bronchitis in near 3 years. The Sarge can't say for sure any of these were from quitting smoking. He also started vigorous excersize and radically altered his diet at virtually the same time (within 2 or 3 months) of quitting smoking. Could have been quitting. Could have been diet. Could have been all of the above. Who knows?? He didn't expect any of those up there ^^^ but there were a metric crap-ton that were expected that actually showed up, too[1]. Easy Peasy FOOTNOTE: [1] The classic "better boners via nicotine cessation" is Mrs. Sarge's favorite :o EDIT: Grammar 'n stuff. Edited April 17, 201412 yr by Sgt.Sausage
April 17, 201412 yr I can't believe how much better I can smell. My hyacinths are blooming and they smell wonderful! Waiting for the peonies!
April 17, 201412 yr My fingers aren't as bony and my face isn't as gaunt anymore. Can't get my damn pants on but hey... y'know? It's mostly warm enough to put on the Tarzan loincloth anyway, bwahahaha.
April 17, 201412 yr Yup in September We'll look at you poppa jingle!! Congrats!! Babies are da best!! :)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.