Last night I almost grabbed my laptop at 3am

Karen

to post an SOS. I couldn't fall back to sleep after getting up to eat something. As I laid there in bed I started thinking about my husbands cigs in the kitchen drawer:(....I really had almost talked myself into just getting up and smoking one, I was so close, But then I thought of all of you here that have helped me along the way, and how I at LEAST owe you an SOS to try and talk me out of it....but I didn't smoke, and I didn't post....I fell back asleep. But THEN I had a bad dream that I DID smoke! I woke up so unhappy this morning thinking "did I or didn't I" it was that real to me. I just wish there was a way to control what we dream about, I guess! Is this common?

• Like 1

I have found that usually it's when I'm stressed about something I have a bad dream in one form or another, and I was very stressed last night thinking about those frickin cigs.  All last week I had nightmares and kept waking my husband up in the other bedroom! However I think that's because I kept forgetting to take the patch off at bedtime.

• Like 1

Smoking dreams are horrid. The feeling I had thinking I had lost my quit when I first woke up from one of those dreams helped to keep me quit that is for sure.  I never wanted to feel that disappointment for real. 

In a lot of ways you are going through the stages of grief when you quit smoking. Smoking is so connected to everything we do that when we take it away, at first, it sparks a host of things such as  Bad Dreams, sadness, anger, anxiety etc...  It's part of the healing process.  The good news is that your body and mind do adjust and in fact thrive from being nicotine free.  At this point I cannot believe I ever smoked at all.  That will happen for you too, once you put some time between you and your last cigarette.  

You are doing wonderfully.  Good job powering through.  Each challenge like that makes you stronger.  

• Like 2

Stages of grief - absolutely.

I know how it feels with a significant other who smokes - not fun.  There are times I don't mind his smoking at all and then I'll do a complete 180 and resent him. 

So he'll be like, "what's the rule today? smoke or not?" (In the car).  Because sometimes I truly do not care.  But other times I'm very irritated.  Guess that's tough on him but HIS SMOKING IS TOUGH ON ME.  :blink:

Power through.  There is no benefit to smoking.  My recent relapse illustrated this - - NO GAIN.  It's just gross.  In a matter of hours I lost circulation in my fingers.  Seriously.  I was like, "oh yeah, I remember this little fun side effect."  And when it's -20 (with windchill) I really don't want to screw myself over in that regard.  Cigarettes are POISON and nothing more.  Non-smokers are the lucky ones.  Clear as day (right now).

You got this!

• Like 1

As a suggestion, a couple of us had calming meditations (guided ones to stop the thinking) for overnight waking. Sometimes quitting can mess with your sleep patterns but it will settle for you. Smoking dreams are another thing that most, not all, seem to get. I wonder if it's the subconcious way of processing that we all no longer do that? They could seem quite real and a number of folks wake upset so hugs for that.

Agree that if in doubt you should post an SOS, that shows how committed to this quit you are, great job in beating the trigger down! x

• Like 1