Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Decided to quit smoking

Featured Replies

I've made my quit date Feb 2. I'm currently in a non-smoking class. My dad is an ex-smoker of 3 years and is my support in this. My mom's still smoking and has no plans to quit. I just started buproprion to help me quit smoking.

Welcome to the board, Indigo, and congratulations on your decision to quit!  There is a lot of wonderful information, here, that will help you prepare for your quit date.  There are also a lot of terrific people here, just waiting to cheer you on to success.  As you quit, just remember...there is no such thing as "just one"...we are all one puff away from a pack a day.  Again, welcome!

  • Author

Thanks! My dad told me once you quit you can't take another puff or you'll start smoking all over again.

Welcome! I'm new in my quit-4 weeks tomorrow. Still struggling but plugging along.

 

Good luck on Tuesday! You sound like you've prepared yourself well.

  • Author

Congratulations! I just hope to make it past the first week. I'm not sure if I'm going to last a day. But I keep telling myself I can do it, and cutting back is getting easier and easier.

Welcome Indigo to the QT, this will be the best decision of your life. Stay close to the boards, it will help tremendously.

 

Again congrats and welcome  :)

Welcome Indigo!!!

 

Quitting is AWESOME!!!!  You will be so happy to be free! There may be a couple hard moments, but you can get through them.  Create distractions - take a walk, stretch, eat something that uses your hands like shelled peanuts or pistachios.  Hot salsa and chips were a good snack for me (I love salsa and the hotness didn't mix well with smoking). Brush your teeth, call someone, post here.  Lots of thing you can do before you smoke.

 

Since you aren't quit yet, do some prep by getting rid of all your smoking stuff like lighters, ash trays, stray butts.  I can have lighters all around the house now, but in the first few weeks for me, they were kind of triggers. 

 

Maybe read The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr.  It helped me (and others here) get my head right. 

 

You've got this!   

Welcome indigo, one step at at at a time

 

Believe in yourself you've got this :)

Welcome indigo, jump on the train and hold on tight, you can do this.

  • Author

As part of our quit smoking program we had to pick one place where we wouldn't smoke anymore. I picked the car. Mom pulled out cigarettes in the car on Friday and told me to light one for her and I told her I couldn't smoke in the car. I was very proud of myself. Mom accepted that 'we' needed to cut down on smoking and put the cigarettes away. I really thought I was going to give in, but I didn't. So far, so good.

As part of our quit smoking program we had to pick one place where we wouldn't smoke anymore. I picked the car. Mom pulled out cigarettes in the car on Friday and told me to light one for her and I told her I couldn't smoke in the car. I was very proud of myself. Mom accepted that 'we' needed to cut down on smoking and put the cigarettes away. I really thought I was going to give in, but I didn't. So far, so good.

Well done!  Love your planning and process.

As part of our quit smoking program we had to pick one place where we wouldn't smoke anymore. I picked the car. Mom pulled out cigarettes in the car on Friday and told me to light one for her and I told her I couldn't smoke in the car. I was very proud of myself. Mom accepted that 'we' needed to cut down on smoking and put the cigarettes away. I really thought I was going to give in, but I didn't. So far, so good.

 

You think you're proud of yourself now... just wait until you look back, from the grateful freedom of a former smoker. Today was a good day. Welcome to the Train.

  • Author

First thing this morning I woke up and wanted a smoke. I've never done that before. But I told myself NOPE, I'm a non-smoker now. Quit like you mean it. Then went and made some coffee.

  • Author

I actually followed my mom out to watch her smoke. She offered me her cig and told me one sip wouldn't hurt. I wanted to believe it so bad. But I told her not even one sip. She sent me back inside the house and not to watch. But I wanted to watch so badly and I don't know why.

I actually followed my mom out to watch her smoke. She offered me her cig and told me one sip wouldn't hurt. I wanted to believe it so bad. But I told her not even one sip. She sent me back inside the house and not to watch. But I wanted to watch so badly and I don't know why.

Not One Puff Ever!  You are doing great!

I actually followed my mom out to watch her smoke. She offered me her cig and told me one sip wouldn't hurt. I wanted to believe it so bad. But I told her not even one sip. She sent me back inside the house and not to watch. But I wanted to watch so badly and I don't know why.

 

Even people who love us can do strange things under the spell of addiction - like this. I don't think it's a great mystery why you wanted to watch, nicotine is a powerful drug and quitting can be intense. In many ways the obsessive thoughts and fixations are harder to conquer than mere physical withdrawal. You did well to see through the temptation, and each time you win your resolve will get a little stronger, and the addiction will slowly wither. But you have to win every single time.

It's hard when we are done, but the people around us aren't. Stay strong.  Know that you can choose not to smoke while others smoke.  And early in our quits, we may have a desire - watching others smoke, while we can't.  Truly, the opposite is true - we are free now.  What a great feeling!!!  Others are not there yet - don't let that take away from your success.    

 

Be done!  :)   

Wow indigo...well done...you are a strong person....

If it were me...I wouldn't follow mum out...just to give myself the best chance ever ...

Next time mum offers....you might not be as strong...

Protect your beautiful quit...every way you can....

  • Author

Thanks guys. Starting Day 2 like a fresh new start. Seeing if I can manage my cravings better. But I don't know if it's the bupropoin or the withdrawls, but I've been having very strange dreams. None of smoking yet.

Thanks guys. Starting Day 2 like a fresh new start. Seeing if I can manage my cravings better. But I don't know if it's the bupropoin or the withdrawls, but I've been having very strange dreams. None of smoking yet.

You are doing great.  I suspect the dreams are caused by the drug...I know I had some crazy ones on Chantix!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.