Not Getting easier

cpk

I started herbs today and already feel some relief. "Lung support" tonic with mullein, lobelia, passionflower etc. Also taking nettles. They are to soothe respiratory inflammation. I think it's partly anxiety, party inflamed and irritated bronchial tissue. Yes, I too would advise seeing your physician if that's the usual path you take.

I'm feeling better. I think the caffeine in coffee increased my anxiety. Guess I learned firsthand that coffee really does pack more power after you quit. I'm now drinking almost entirely decaf coffee. Think I had better stick with that for awhile. :)

I bought Sleepy Time Tea today....had my name on it...Tyme! Contains several herbs for relaxation. I was awake till 5:30 this am. This insomnia is beyond what anyone should have to go through...6 weeks of hell. I called my Doc today to tell her the Trazadone sleep aid she prescribed is not working and she has doubled the dosage. Fingers crossed I will sleep tonight. Sleepy Time tea time. This Quit better be worth the hell I'm going through. Quit younger rather than older....it's a bit easier! Just a Warning to any Lurkers.

• Like 5

why did I wait....don't think I did wait. Just got more results after quiting. I didn't like cardio when I smoked because I wasn't good at it. Weights were my thing. I could skip cardio. Now I can skip it if in a hurry, but its a muscle too and helps with the food intake thing. That's all. I try to do something even if just a mile walk with dogs for ten minutes.

For exercise I don't over read, over research, over diet and rarely have over trained. When its not fun then find something else. Cardio isn't so bad now that I can make it more than 5 minutes. Know the heart likes it makes me like it. Just not for 45 minutes, maybe 15-20. I don't need to chase my food so only running is to store in car. others might hate strength training, rather sit on bike and pedal for hour, so be it, just get out of way skinny ass when dinner bell rings.

• Like 4

Good advice there mr bakon.

Why wait? The best thing that you can do for your lungs is use them.

Some of us exercised while we were smoking, albeit somewhat less efficiently, and then simply continued after quitting -- it's a great way to see how much your lungs improve in a short period.

I'm curious whether those who waited for sometime before getting serious about exercise after quitting still believe that waiting was the right thing to do or whether they would have started sooner knowing what they know now? Please do tell.

I ran around doing stuff in my place tonight, in a short skirt and cowgirl boots. Then I ran (no, walked fast) to the local coffee shop and back, and then ran around my place some more doing stuff. My lungs don't feel quite right, feel a little tight but I just told them, "Look, lungs, adapt, cuz I'm gonna start amping it up."  I feel a little afraid to use my lungs but you and many others here has said what I will now trust...The best thing that you can do for your lungs is use them. THANK YOU!

• Like 1

I bought Sleepy Time Tea today....had my name on it...Tyme! Contains several herbs for relaxation. I was awake till 5:30 this am. This insomnia is beyond what anyone should have to go through...6 weeks of hell. I called my Doc today to tell her the Trazadone sleep aid she prescribed is not working and she has doubled the dosage. Fingers crossed I will sleep tonight. Sleepy Time tea time. This Quit better be worth the hell I'm going through. Quit younger rather than older....it's a bit easier! Just a Warning to any Lurkers.

Oh yeah, I always try to get Sleepy Time Plus or whatever it's called...has valerian in it. Not necessary as I eat valerian capsules like candy. But one should do valerian two weeks on, two weeks off. So check if the Sleepy Time you got has valerian in it. Chamomile is good, too. Also, something called Calms Forte. Good thing about herbs is there is no hang-over, which I sometimes get on meditations. Having said that...a hot toddy??? Booze as medicine? I will go there...but it hasn't yet been necessary because I just get up and post.

About sleep...don't think I was ever a great sleeper. Always woke up at least once, had a smoke, went back to sleep. Now that has been interrupted. One night when I woke up I forced myself to stay in bed with the lights out and took an extra melatonin (had it and water on side table) --- and went back to sleep. One night! But a victory.

I'm beginning to think that's what this journey is all about...every single small victory MUST BE COUNTED.

Tyme, please keep posting on the sleep thing, as I am following you on this. Thanks.

• Like 1

why did I wait....don't think I did wait. Just got more results after quiting. I didn't like cardio when I smoked because I wasn't good at it. Weights were my thing. I could skip cardio. Now I can skip it if in a hurry, but its a muscle too and helps with the food intake thing. That's all. I try to do something even if just a mile walk with dogs for ten minutes.

For exercise I don't over read, over research, over diet and rarely have over trained. When its not fun then find something else. Cardio isn't so bad now that I can make it more than 5 minutes. Know the heart likes it makes me like it. Just not for 45 minutes, maybe 15-20. I don't need to chase my food so only running is to store in car. others might hate strength training, rather sit on bike and pedal for hour, so be it, just get out of way skinny ass when dinner bell rings.

Did someone actually call you Mr. Bakon on this thread? You had better do something silly in a hurry and offend someone. (Oh, guess you already did.) Well, as I reported to Mr. Robert I ran around my place tonight in my short skirt and cowgirl boots, then I ran out and got coffee, than I ran back and did some other stuff at my place. Then I thought, oh, I think the village idiot is right. I just need to GET MOVING. I am going to start following Mr. Bakon's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. Some reading, some posting, some exercise. I have to respect that smoking and other bad lifestyle stuff put me in a weak position, and getting out is gonna take time. This mindset is good discipline. Addiction is about pushing things to the limit like smoking things called cancer sticks.  Maybe freedom from addiction is realizing...I'm okay now, I've stopped the cancer sticks. Maybe I need improving, but basically I'm okay. If a village idiot can do this, I can too! When I have these kinds of thoughts I'm all around happier, and my quit feels beautiful. Amen.

• Like 1

I must be in the minority whereas I have been quit for a year and half and my chest feels tighter to this day than when I smoked. I actually remember posting about this issue several times, but received the same old response of, "Give it time. You smoked for 24 years, your body can't just recover overnight." Well, it's been 18 months and the feeling has not diminished. I've been to the Drs. (COPD tested) and exercise regularly. My persistent cough has grown more persistent.Maybe I need more exercise, but it feels as this will only help in other areas. I have even upped my vitamin intake and eat healthier. I've come to the conclusion everyone is different. Our body's are not all the same. I've witnessed loved ones get cancer when they have never smoked or drank a day in their lives and THAT is not fair.

You're on the right path cpk. Quitting is one the best things you can do for yourself. My advice is to just take one step at a time. Start slow and build from there. You have a great story to tell.

• Like 2

I must be in the minority whereas I have been quit for a year and half and my chest feels tighter to this day than when I smoked. I actually remember posting about this issue several times, but received the same old response of, "Give it time. You smoked for 24 years, your body can't just recover overnight." Well, it's been 18 months and the feeling has not diminished. I've been to the Drs. (COPD tested) and exercise regularly. My persistent cough has grown more persistent.Maybe I need more exercise, but it feels as this will only help in other areas. I have even upped my vitamin intake and eat healthier. I've come to the conclusion everyone is different. Our body's are not all the same. I've witnessed loved ones get cancer when they have never smoked or drank a day in their lives and THAT is not fair.

You're on the right path cpk. Quitting is one the best things you can do for yourself. My advice is to just take one step at a time. Start slow and build from there. You have a great story to tell.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your chest tightness and coughing. It sounds like you have done everything physically possible. Do you think some of it could be related to just the stress of parenting young children, a full life with a lot of responsibility, on top of recovering? But you know, I guess there has to be some acceptance. That's why I have decided to do Mr. Bakon's Easy Quit Program. Mr. Bakon might even advise you to not exercise for a couple of months, have more sex (maybe including a paddle??) , and drink more beer. :) Life is short, get a babysitter. Haha. I admire the length of your quit and I will get there, and in the meantime, we've got to be a bit philosophical. It's the Bakon way. Embrace it, bro! Have you noticed laughing out loud brings a bit of physical relief? I have. Cuz I laugh at my own jokes! :) PS Keep going for the check-ups, too, okay? For some yeah, maybe the healing happens over a longer period of time...you'll get there.

• Like 1

I'm sorry you are feeling so crappy but I'm so pleased you posted about it, that is how you are going to hold this quit, symptoms wether quit related or life related it's so easy to go back to what we believed helped us or blame the quit and just get so tired of it all as it can be exhausting in the beginning!

We see how much you want this cpk and it does sound like your life and health anxieties are making this quit harder

I am not a lover of medicines it's just a personal thing for me I try to deal with stress and anxiety through more natural resourses

A few years back I was holding onto a lot of anger, guilt and baggage and I happened upon a business card for a lady hypnotist, I was thinking of quitting smoking at the time and this was one service she offered so I booked an appointment

Her room was filled with crystals and skulls and I thought oh hello what's going on here then, turns out she was a spiritual healer, reiki,sound,crystals etc I had never heard of such things before but was intrigued

She told me I was holding onto alot of stuff - yeah no s... Sherlock ;)

She said I should try alternate therapies

So I did, although sceptical at first I was willing to give it a try

Turns out it was the best thing I ever did, I still practise what I learned today

Point to my ramble, there is always an alternative, I would recommend going to your doctor for a general check up just to put your mind at ease

You are already looking at doing the exercising, maybe look at your diet see if any improvements can be made you can Google that but as leanna says stay off the self analysing sites and then maybe try some alternative therapies

Something will resonate with you they cannot do any harm

I can only advise from my own experiences, but that's why this site works as everyone is different and has so many different experiences

It's time for cpk to let go and be well in mind and body, your quit was the spring board for this journey you are on now

The only way from here is up, this is the beginning of a new you it does and will get better I promise xx

You look like Jennifer Garner now, in this pix. (Without her fish lips.) Nice look, very soft...

• Like 1

SO glad you are feeling better CPK! The articles Mike provided links to re brain healing are under Withdrawal Problems on the first page. They explain a lot & the knowledge reduces anxiety. Your posts are so open & honest and you have a great sense of humour. You are not ONLY an Ex Smoker you know....you are wonderful YOU! Remember that!

I just reread this. I was thinking about the end of my smoking days when I frowned a lot. So you know how we always think that when we smoked we were laughing, and having a great time? Do you remember your last smokes? Mine did not make me laugh!

• Like 1

OMG CPK!!! I laugh at my own jokes too....even when nobody else is laughing! Lol! Laughing is a great " herbal remedy"!

I think Mr Bacon is on the right track for the EASY THREE way to feeling good after your Quit

My insomnia is still there....the increase in medication has not worked yet. I have a Pharmacist friend who gave me information & tips today for beating this insomnia. Quite interesting. I am trying them because I am desperate...not thinking so well on my own. I have been searching the Internet...I can't take Melatonin because of nasty side effects....figures.

So, sunshine in the morning is great but not in late afternoon because of internal clock malfunction, no caffeine past 10am & even then only one cup of coffee, no alcohol, no exercise before bed (it said nothing about sex), exercise during daytime to tire oneself out (I could make a naughty comment but I won't), no computer, cell phone, iPad or other electronic device within 3 hrs of bedtime as the light projected by these devices is damaging to natural Melatonin, use Melatonin (if you can tolerate it)....1-5 mg, go to bed when you are tired but not before, cover up any lights from devices in your bedroom like an alarm clock or TV, relax....do not think about NOT being able to sleep (I'm going to sing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall in my head to clear my mind). So!!!! What do you think?

I'm going to go now to do my Yoga Sleep move....lie on floor with legs up against a wall for 10 minutes.

There are many different kinds of insomnia. It is serious & needs treatment. I have a great link if you would like it by PM.

Hope your insomnia will improve fast! We need our beauty sleep!!!

• Like 2

OMG CPK!!! I laugh at my own jokes too....even when nobody else is laughing! Lol! Laughing is a great " herbal remedy"!

I think Mr Bacon is on the right track for the EASY THREE way to feeling good after your Quit

My insomnia is still there....the increase in medication has not worked yet. I have a Pharmacist friend who gave me information & tips today for beating this insomnia. Quite interesting. I am trying them because I am desperate...not thinking so well on my own. I have been searching the Internet...I can't take Melatonin because of nasty side effects....figures.

So, sunshine in the morning is great but not in late afternoon because of internal clock malfunction, no caffeine past 10am & even then only one cup of coffee, no alcohol, no exercise before bed (it said nothing about sex), exercise during daytime to tire oneself out (I could make a naughty comment but I won't), no computer, cell phone, iPad or other electronic device within 3 hrs of bedtime as the light projected by these devices is damaging to natural Melatonin, use Melatonin (if you can tolerate it)....1-5 mg, go to bed when you are tired but not before, cover up any lights from devices in your bedroom like an alarm clock or TV, relax....do not think about NOT being able to sleep (I'm going to sing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall in my head to clear my mind). So!!!! What do you think?

I'm going to go now to do my Yoga Sleep move....lie on floor with legs up against a wall for 10 minutes.

There are many different kinds of insomnia. It is serious & needs treatment. I have a great link if you would like it by PM.

Hope your insomnia will improve fast! We need our beauty sleep!!!

So, out of the closet! Nice to meet your face, haha. Don't look tired! All that stuff sounds good. Here's the thing with me. I fear being tired because that was one of the triggers for my smoking more than usual. I think I am afraid of being tired. So my new theory is to just experience it and not take naps or mess up my schedule. If I go to sleep and then wake up too early, I'll just get up and be tired for the day. Because I have figured out that's what it is for me. I'm afraid being tired will trigger me, so I take naps early evening and stuff. That's my new plan...to discover I can be exhausted and not smoke. Then maybe my body and mind will relax and I'll naturally begin to sleep better.

I just reread this. I was thinking about the end of my smoking days when I frowned a lot. So you know how we always think that when we smoked we were laughing, and having a great time? Do you remember your last smokes? Mine did not make me laugh!

My last smokes did not make me laugh at all CPK. I was actually hiding to smoke them & berating myself for my weakness to give in to smoking those filthy things. I used to think I NEEDED them to feel better in stressful situations or to have fun with my friends. Well I didn't need them at all. I had promised myself I was quitting due to a worsening cough. I cut down getting ready to stop....that phase lasted awhile. Finally I did it! But I didn't waste any lol! Smoked the last one in the house them nevrr bought anymore. Done! No temptation in the house, no excuses.

I totally agree that you should do what is right for you with your Insomnia CPK! You know yourself better than anyone else knows you. Just do what works. I certainly know you will not go back to smoking. Like me, after getting this far we are not about to do it all over again....never!!! I did not expect this at all. Easy to Quit? Only 3 days and you are nicotine free.....true.....but the withdrawal is different for everyone.

Hope, hope, hope your insomnia resolves fast. I finally slept last night with help from my Pharmacist friend. Now to get my internal clock back to normal! 8 weeks of insomnia is going to take some time to recover from but I will do it.

When do I get to meet you with a pic? Lol! The one I have on was taken in early January. I sure would not be putting one up of me right now.....lol!

• Like 1

I love the picture :)  Hello beautiful lady.

I'm 39, (38 when I quit), it was terrible and wonderful in equal measure, I made sure I acknowledged the good and the bad. The good to help me carry on and the bad to say I don't ever want to be at this stage again and if I move forward I don't have to...it worked.  Some feel pretty focused and easy about there new place in the world though, part of me envied them.  Nicotine is a demon drug no matter when you stop it. I won't bore with my side effects but I had many, I didn't even believe myself they were all quit related as they were extreme! But they were and I'm so pleased to be where I am today. The quit is worth everything, I promise!!  Much love beautiful Tyme. xx

• Like 2

I must be in the minority whereas I have been quit for a year and half and my chest feels tighter to this day than when I smoked. I actually remember posting about this issue several times, but received the same old response of, "Give it time. You smoked for 24 years, your body can't just recover overnight." Well, it's been 18 months and the feeling has not diminished. I've been to the Drs. (COPD tested) and exercise regularly. My persistent cough has grown more persistent.Maybe I need more exercise, but it feels as this will only help in other areas. I have even upped my vitamin intake and eat healthier. I've come to the conclusion everyone is different. Our body's are not all the same. I've witnessed loved ones get cancer when they have never smoked or drank a day in their lives and THAT is not right.

Hey Aruba. We all have differences in our Quits. No one is exactly the same but there are some commonalities that work well on a site with such diverse ages, high membership & the same goal. You mentioned you have seen a Doctor for a Pulmonary Fuction Test (PFT). If you watch Joel"s Videos he suggests not blaming long term symptoms on quitting smoking & not to base them on others experiences if the symptoms last over 2 weeks. See your Doctor for peace of mind

Update: I have been taking herbs for a week and noticed improvement, with less heaviness and tightness in chest. Taking nettles, and a "lung support" tincture which includes lobelia and mullein. Am also taking vitamins, extra B vits, and Omega 3, and herbal teas. Also took a couple OTC tablets for allergies.

It could be that for some of us the physical aspects of quitting do cause some anxiety, and whatever we can do to reduce these physical symptoms reduces anxiety. In my case this seems to be true.

I'm going to add Rhodiola starting today. (Mike suggested it, and I read up on it, and it is worth a try.)

My physician would prescribe trazadone, but reading up on the side effects is scary. I don't do well on synthetics and chemicals. Herbs work for me.

As of today am 11 weeks quit, and feeling much better than I did a week ago.

• Like 1

Update: I have been taking herbs for a week and noticed improvement, with less heaviness and tightness in chest. Taking nettles, and a "lung support" tincture which includes lobelia and mullein. Am also taking vitamins, extra B vits, and Omega 3, and herbal teas. Also took a couple OTC tablets for allergies.

It could be that for some of us the physical aspects of quitting do cause some anxiety, and whatever we can do to reduce these physical symptoms reduces anxiety. In my case this seems to be true.

I'm going to add Rhodiola starting today. (Mike suggested it, and I read up on it, and it is worth a try.)

My physician would prescribe trazadone, but reading up on the side effects is scary. I don't do well on synthetics and chemicals. Herbs work for me.

As of today am 11 weeks quit, and feeling much better than I did a week ago.

Whatever works is my motto. Pleased you are seeing an improvement.

If I remember rightly my anxiety kept sending me for a loop. It settled around month 4 and was something I'd suffered before anyway...hoping knowing that gives you a timeframe (although we are all different, you may be sooner) but at least shows you're not alone. xx

• Like 2

Bakoman. We're doing fine. I'm sewing and getting ready to watch a movie. You could be nicer to folks still riding the roller coaster. We can't help it if the roller coaster ride is not quite over for us...but it is slowing down and getting smoother. We are allowed to whine here on QT. Maybe you could go hang out with chicks and sticks or wherever people go who want to chill. Said with respect.  I gotta go as Russell Crowe awaits.  :music: