Was Smoking Masking Over Depression For Me?

I very strongly suspect so and am going to face up to it, and make an appointment at the doctors tomorrow.

I watched a tv show last night and it started to play on my mind. She had took herself off her anti depressants and her doctor made a quick reference to symptoms she might get.

I'll not list them but will say I had every single one when I stopped smoking, even though I'd switched to a nicotine device. It played on my mind for most of the day today and I just did a quiz (NHS) and it strongly suggests I make an appointment with my doctor. So I will, I want to discuss the daily fatigue, the emptiness, and lots of other things I feel every couple of days or so.

I personally am convinced that the MAOI's added were masking over this. I am not fed up to have stopped smoking, quite the opposite I'm over joyed and would never in a million years fall into the trap again. I am not even fed up because of life, life is good, just empty...feel flat inside every couple of days.

Something isn't right and I have suspected it for months, and months but couldn't put my finger on it.

I only share this incase it has happened to others as it would be good to talk. I feel better tbh as I can see an end to this cycle now...fingers crossed...and even if the test is wrong, and my research is wrong I can at least then let it go and just accept that I am now someone who suffers from daily fatigue and emptiness.

I'll post tomorrow how I get on.

• Like 1

Sharon - you are absolutely doing the right thing - see the doctor.

With my extensive medical experience (absolutely zero) I suspect you may be right, you may be wrong. :)

With my extensive married experience - wife feeling a bit off + google = (delete as applicable) Bubonic plague/flu/AIDS/toe cancer/Ebola

Seeing the Doc will cost you nothing. It should help explore whether it is a depression variety or an anxiety variety - a quit smoking no mans land thing, a female thing or a combination of some or all of them.

For La Bandita - we are on a similar journey. She will soon be saying good bye to any 4s in her age - and it is most probably a female thing..but still a while to go until we know for sure...

In the meantime - I just wear a crash helmet :wub:

Feel for you Shaz - keep your chin down and your guard up!

• Like 5

For the record I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'll wade in with pointless comments regardless.

When you're coming off a drug (pretty much regardless of what it is) you're going to get depressed, every time you were having a smoke those little pleasure neurons were firing creating dopamine and giving your body a positive reinforcement for the drug of choice.

So you stop giving it that hit and you're no longer getting all "Oh yeah baby" from your brain.

Now, of course, you could also have depression.

I'm a bit confused to if you are still on Nicotine or if you have been off nicotine since June last year. If you've been off it since June then you can probably forget everything I've just said.

• Like 3

glad you are seeing the doctor Sharon.....just wanted to show you my support.  (((((((sharon)))))))))

I struggled with depression in the past.   Very isolating ...... you feel so alone.  Just want you to know...You are not alone...that's for sure!  We are here for you!

• Like 2

Hiya guys and thanks very much for the support.

Rob I stopped using nicotine mid January. I felt no different coming off that than I did while using it. The symptoms I have had since June are the same as before quitting just the nicotine.

It's not even everyday I feel like this, just whooosh and comes from nowhere. I can go to bed as happy as a lark (I'm a happy soul) then wake up the next day as flat as a pancake....yet nothing has happened to burst my mood...just a flat totally empty feeling. It could be pre menapouse? That's why I'm not burying my head in the sand anymore and will face up to it, and get the doctor to help me.

It's like today not a thing is wrong in my world...nothing...yet it's one of those crappy days where I feel numb and detached. Yet not sad...just flat and detached.

If I think about maybe that's why when I quit using zyban (10 years ago) I didn't get a single withdrawl symptom, not one. I know it might sound crazy but it makes me feel my body treated nicotine like water, neither here nor there, but the other crap in the cigarettes where what caused problems when they stopped being replenished.

Thanks again...thanks for listening/reading....can't wait to chat to my doctor now.

• Like 1

Hi Sharon, I suffer from depression and have been taking medication for many years, there is alot of stigma surrounding mental health, but I hold my head up and am not afraid to say I suffer from depression, its not nice and the medication does certainly help, talking about how you are feeling and letting people know when you are low also helps, if you ever ever want to talk Im a pm away, but your doctor will most certainly be supportive I know my GP is, x

• Like 3

glad you are seeing the doctor Sharon.....just wanted to show you my support.  (((((((sharon)))))))))

I struggled with depression in the past.   Very isolating ...... you feel so alone.  Just want you to know...You are not alone...that's for sure!  We are here for you!

Thank you Babs that really is lovely and helps a lot....more than you know ♡

• Like 1

It is good that you are going to see the doctor, however make sure he knows that you quit smoking cigarettes but are on a nicotine device and how long you have been on it.  It would also be helpful to let him know the strength that you have been using.  Good luck.  I hope you feel better soon.

Hiya Lynn I'm not on it now, haven't been since January. That's the thing you see....I just assumed it was the fact I was still using nicotine that 'might' have been the reason for the symptoms. Sadly I feel just the same as I did when all these symptoms kicked in last July...no better, no worse...just the same.

He knew I had quit smoking, I saw him in October (my 40th check up 3 years late) I didn't mention any of this then but will remind him I quit last June.

Hi Sharon, I suffer from depression and have been taking medication for many years, there is alot of stigma surrounding mental health, but I hold my head up and am not afraid to say I suffer from depression, its not nice and the medication does certainly help, talking about how you are feeling and letting people know when you are low also helps, if you ever ever want to talk Im a pm away, but your doctor will most certainly be supportive I know my GP is, x

Thank you very much Jackie. He is a fabulous doctor and I have faith he will get to the bottom of my symptoms and advice and help.

It's strange, I have smoked since I was 13 so have no memory of myself, my mental health before that. I feel a huge sense of hope that I have finally admitted to myself that something is off, not right and just want to get to the bottom of it.

I hear you about the stigma reguarding mental health. My uncle Andrew and hubby's Uncle Steve both suffer from schizophrenia...people can be very cruel and judgemental. So sad.

• Like 1

Hiya Lynn I'm not on it now, haven't been since January. That's the thing you see....I just assumed it was the fact I was still using nicotine that 'might' have been the reason for the symptoms. Sadly I feel just the same as I did when all these symptoms kicked in last July...no better, no worse...just the same.

He knew I had quit smoking, I saw him in October (my 40th check up 3 years late) I didn't mention any of this then but will remind him I quit last June.

Hi Sharon;

I realized that after your response to Rob.  (Sorry). I wish you the best of luck tomorrow, I hope he leads you in the right direction for you to start feeling better soon. Take care.

• Like 1

My smoking masks my anxiety. I never even knew I had anxiety. I always just thought I was hyper.

I agree. Go to the doc. Get some help. There are things out there that can help you that don't give you lung cancer or emphysema.

And know we are here for you. Every step of the way.

• Like 1

Hey Sharon. I get that empty feeling sometimes, but generally I am OK. My wife gets it quite a lot and I used to think that it was my fault. She had some counselling and got better (hint it wasn't because of me lol). She still gets it occasionally but not so often now.

I don't know if any of that is helpful or not, bit I just wanted to say that I sort of know what you are going through.

So (((big hugs))) for you today.

• Like 1

As is obvious from the profile pic - when I feel empty - I eat. :wacko:

Sharon - are you sure it is not the thought of a One Direction concert that is getting you down? :P

La B is Peri-Meno wotsit....which just sounds horrible - neither one thing nor the other. She gets down, she get so anxious (sometimes she won't have a shower unless I'm in the house in case she falls)

Doc has put her on HRT - on the basis that if she feels a bit better - then it is not a mental health thing. If she doesn't - then they explore the mental health aspect.

She is clearly slightly wrong in the head - she married me :o

• Like 1

Sharon I am so pleased you're going to the docs, they are normally really good. I just wanted to say I also suffered badly in years gone by, weirdly a lot of my alternative stuff (meditation, spending time in nature, aromatherapy, crystals etc) work just fine now I don't suffer but if you ever want to talk, you know where I am. xx

• Like 1

My smoking masks my anxiety. I never even knew I had anxiety. I always just thought I was hyper.

I agree. Go to the doc. Get some help. There are things out there that can help you that don't give you lung cancer or emphysema.

And know we are here for you. Every step of the way.

Thank you very much Tiffany and I hope your doctor has helped you get your anxiety under control.

Hey Sharon. I get that empty feeling sometimes, but generally I am OK. My wife gets it quite a lot and I used to think that it was my fault. She had some counselling and got better (hint it wasn't because of me lol). She still gets it occasionally but not so often now.

I don't know if any of that is helpful or not, bit I just wanted to say that I sort of know what you are going through.

So (((big hugs))) for you today.

Thank you for the hug Action, it was lovely.

I do feel for you as when I think about it now Lee has said to me a few times, what's wrong, is it me? I always drew a blank in my answer. As it wasn't him, or anything...if that makes sense...it just was (or is when I get a day of it.

So glad your wife has less episodes Action, must be a relief for you both. Did she get trrible fatigue Action? I just come over all drained that I must have 40 winks...no matter what.

I will obviously just say to anyone reading I am in no way blaming this on stopping smoking, or should it be used by a reader as an excuse to stop. If anything make it more of a carrot to get you to stop....as you never know what the crap in cigarettes could be hiding and at least then you can get to the bottom of it, and sort it out with the health professionals....in a way that removes the risk of cancer etc.

• Like 1

As is obvious from the profile pic - when I feel empty - I eat. :wacko:

Sharon - are you sure it is not the thought of a One Direction concert that is getting you down? :P

La B is Peri-Meno wotsit....which just sounds horrible - neither one thing nor the other. She gets down, she get so anxious (sometimes she won't have a shower unless I'm in the house in case she falls)

Doc has put her on HRT - on the basis that if she feels a bit better - then it is not a mental health thing. If she doesn't - then they explore the mental health aspect.

She is clearly slightly wrong in the head - she married me :o

Laughed at the 1D reference....;)

That's good then for your wife Stu, so at least they have a plan to get to the bottom of what's behind her symptoms. I hope the HRT sorts things out , but, if it doesn't as least they have a plan b.

Mine could well be menapousal as August my monthlys stopped and night sweats happened, just at the time the fatigue, weightloss and flat days started. It could be pure coincidence that stopping smoking and that starting was at the same time. My nightsweats stopped and periods came back in December....so all back to normal there. Maybe the other symptoms I still have are pre menopausal?...be great to find out and get things back to normal.

Sharon I am so pleased you're going to the docs, they are normally really good. I just wanted to say I also suffered badly in years gone by, weirdly a lot of my alternative stuff (meditation, spending time in nature, aromatherapy, crystals etc) work just fine now I don't suffer but if you ever want to talk, you know where I am. xx

Thank you very much, very kind of you Marti and lovely to hear your symptoms are now all sorted out.

Thank you for the hug Action, it was lovely.

I do feel for you as when I think about it now Lee has said to me a few times, what's wrong, is it me? I always drew a blank in my answer. As it wasn't him, or anything...if that makes sense...it just was (or is when I get a day of it.

So glad your wife has less episodes Action, must be a relief for you both. Did she get trrible fatigue Action? I just come over all drained that I must have 40 winks...no matter what.

I will obviously just say to anyone reading I am in no way blaming this on stopping smoking, or should it be used by a reader as an excuse to stop. If anything make it more of a carrot to get you to stop....as you never know what the crap in cigarettes could be hiding and at least then you can get to the bottom of it, and sort it out with the health professionals....in a way that removes the risk of cancer etc.

Thank you Sharon. And yes, she was exhausted most of the time, constant naps and all of that jazz. She had a weekly session with someone via telephone for a number of months. She said it really helped her. I used to tease her saying that the guy was chatting her up lol.

• Like 1

It's not even everyday I feel like this, just whooosh and comes from nowhere. I can go to bed as happy as a lark (I'm a happy soul) then wake up the next day as flat as a pancake....yet nothing has happened to burst my mood...just a flat totally empty feeling.

Wait - what?

That's a disease?

The Sarge thought that was just part of everyday life... Y'know - being human.

Easy Peasy

Wait - what?

That's a disease?

The Sarge thought that was just part of everyday life... Y'know - being human.

Easy Peasy

Really?

I must be a lucky Bandit - I don't get those feelings. 

I guess that it is very individual - and that the key is when something changes. If you are normally very positive and bouncy - and then find yourself exhausted for no obvious reason - not once - but frequently, then I guess you might want to investigate whether something has caused that to happen. Whether its a disease or not - I could not comment (too thick) but definitely worth looking into I'd say.

As I say - I'm really lucky - and just bounce along.

Essentially, I think that I may have been a Cocker Spaniel in a previous life! :D

• Like 2

Thank you Sharon. And yes, she was exhausted most of the time, constant naps and all of that jazz. She had a weekly session with someone via telephone for a number of months. She said it really helped her. I used to tease her saying that the guy was chatting her up lol.

I'm so glad for her that she's feeling less fatigue Action...lol @ the chatting her up comment.