Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Quitting is a journey, not an event

Featured Replies

At the very beginning, I thought if I quit for a day, then that's all there was to it.  I like this video, wish I had watched it when I first quit.

 

Colleen- Thanks. I am keeping a much more open mind this quit and using all the

resources available. There is something inside of me that really wants it this time.

I smoked for many years and am probably on my 4th or 5th try. I didn't

want to quit many of the years, plain and simple.

A lot of good information in the video. Just a few examples that resonated with me:

1-I will need to change more than just not smoking. (Wow am I learning so much

   about myself...I hate all that goes with early quitting, but this has become a

   fantastic adventure/journey and I want the Freedom) !

2-Smoking is a relationship. (Didn't quite look at it that way before, but it's true. I

   allowed smoking to enter every fiber of my being [Yuk]....a day at a time...NO MORE) !

3-I had to admit and say I was a Nicotine Addict. (Who me, the nice guy I am, with all

   that PRIDE...Hmmm, I wasn't in denial I was deluding myself so I could have another

   fix to deal with life's problems).

 

Thanks again, Colleen, for an informative and thoughtful post.    Paul

I 100% agree with this - definitely a journey and not an event!

1-I will need to change more than just not smoking. (Wow am I learning so much

   about myself...I hate all that goes with early quitting, but this has become a

   fantastic adventure/journey and I want the Freedom) !

 

This is true for me, 

dealing with my addiction to Nicotine

has led to a  journey of deeper self discovery.

Veils have lifted.  

I am more honest towards myself in a much more timely manner

and have a wider compassion for struggle.

Where formerly I ran on bravado,

I now have a rock steady confidence in myself

and   

The Skills to Change.

It sure is a journey......one that I so happy to have taken.....

Its changed my life completely.......my confidence has grown......

I've learned not to take myself too serious.....life is for living.....and enjoying......

This has been the best journey ,i got a ticket for......

I like it, good video. Very true, totally with Colleen, it was all about day 1. Then week 1? Then 1 month lol, totally a journey and every stage thankfully felt a massive step easier then the one before on the whole.

 

But I wonder why do so few of these videos address the "fear factor". Many a relapse were a forever fear, still more that I would never be "normal" (my version of it lol) again. The most solid advice given to me was to only think today, I got that from boards and you folks and whilst there are many other gems of wisdom, the fear was my biggest adversary. Or was it just me??  Intrigued now.

 

I mean now I can say forever, with 6 months plus (the plus is probably pounds in weight lol) but to start with it scared me silly.

Great post and so very true! 

My journey is on-going, and that's ok :)

You posted this a long time ago and it was one of the videos that helped me get it. Thanks for the repost Colleen. 

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Bumping for Newbies and Lurkers.

  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/28/2014 at 8:04 PM, Colleen said:

At the very beginning, I thought if I quit for a day, then that's all there was to it.  I like this video, wish I had watched it when I first quit.

 

 

 

 

bump

Great video.  Thanks for sharing.  Important part of quitting is changing behaviors.  Adding this one to my arsenal of weapons to keep me on this journey.

Changing my behaviors as to when and where I smoked was key for me!!! Understanding "one day at a time" is what keeps me on this journey.....love this video! ?

At first I thought it would be the same just without cigarettes and that thought was unbearable. I believe this was what prevented me from quitting earlier, that fear. Now I see how many of the behaviors, reactions, thoughts, feelings have changed, how they all had to change and for the better. I know the background of many of my issues and I know what to work on. The true me was buried under all that ash and everyday I\m surprised with something new about myself.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.