Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Impact of Nicotine Addiction on the Body

Featured Replies

  • Author

Wow

 

How many people actually die from smoking?

 

 

Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

 

Smoking deaths are one of the most preventable causes of premature death. Still, each year more than 443,000 people die from this deadly habit. Cigarette smoking accounts for more deaths each year than deaths from murder, car accidents, alcohol or drug use, suicides, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

 

And this is just the US

I was in such denial!

I'd push it out of my head and run for the cigarettes.

That is no way to live.

Good information Beacon!

 

I was in denial too Jen. I think we all were. We tell ourselves, "That won't happen to me." Often though, people don't stop until they have a "wake up call" and sometimes those wake up calls are fatal or permanent. The reality of what smoking does or can do to a person is terrifying and now that I am a non-smoker, I know that really is no way to live. It's not worth the risk. 

My stupid self fell into the "You've gotta die from something" category when it came to excuses.  :mellow: What an idiot. 

Denial was strong in this dumbass too  :mellow:

 

Great info Beacon. xx

My stupid self fell into the "You've gotta die from something" category when it came to excuses.  :mellow: What an idiot. 

 

Yes, that was my "excuse" too. Thanks for the info beacon. 

 

-Nat

I was in such denial!

I'd push it out of my head and run for the cigarettes.

That is no way to live.

 Yep, me too. 

Hid my head in the sand and denied it for too many years!

Yes nicotine is additive but it is the 400 or more chemicals which are the killers! There is so much crap in cigarettes it's mind boggling ! Try an e-cig ( flavored with no nicotine ) it worked for me !

 

There would be no reason for anyone who is posting on this thread to "try an e-cig".  They are all quit, and have quit for some time now, thankfully. 

 

It's great to be free from all nicotine/cigarette related substances.

 

Period.

 

:)

 

 

Great post Beacon!

  • 2 years later...

My stupid self fell into the "You've gotta die from something" 

 

This is my thinking to a tee......

 

People die every day.  From cancer, lupus, heart attacks, car accidents.....  You never know when you're last day is going to be.  

 

So why NOT smoke ?  It's relaxing. It's enjoyable.  Why NOT do something that I enjoy ?  I don't know that I'm going to die from smoking.  I could die tomorrow eating a donut.  

 

Besides, people who have quit still get cancer.  And they still die.  

 

But then I realized...... I'm not living either.  

 

I can't climb the stairs I used to.  I can't chase my kid around the yard.  I'm getting older faster.  I hear myself wheezing at night.  Not bad, but it's there.  

 

I can't even go to the movie theater and watch a movie in it's entirety.  

 

My life is ending before I have died.  And I'm acclimating to it.  

 

It's not the death of me that scares me. That's going to happen no matter what I do.

 

It's my life that I want back.  My whole entire life.   

Sometimes we get smokers illness..and don't die TIFF..

My hubs has had copd/emphysema for 12 years slowly getting worse...how worse it will go..who knows..how long.?

I was a whisper away from my both feet being amputated...how long would I have spent in a wheelchair..?

We all don't know how long we have TIFF...

But we can live it the best we can ..you have a chance to live a good life..before the **** hits the pan...

...and then there was Larry Flint.  Vehemently anti-smoking to the core.    He believed that smoking was slow motion suicide and his graphic anti-smoking

ads in his magazine were epic in their visceral and visual impacts. 

...and then there was Larry Flint.  Vehemently anti-smoking to the core.    He believed that smoking was slow motion suicide and his graphic anti-smoking

ads in his magazine were epic in their visceral and visual impacts.

 

I will check him out..not heard of him...

I will check him out..not heard of him...

 

Um...yeah...

 

Sorry I meant Larry Flynt.  Odd-ball spelling.  He...was the owner of a "men's" magazine called Hustler.  

It was in this magazine that Larry had his anti-smoking ads.  I'm not certain if you can find them online.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.