What's For Dinner: Part 2

Leanna

Been a while since I have been to this thread.

YUMMO!!!!!

I made Mac & Cheese with bacon and Panko bread crumbs the other night (photo courtesy of my daughter).

10665199_10204602989971900_5956232827511

Oh goodness. I'm having a "moment" over here staring at that.

Yuuuuuuuuuuum.

Popovers and Yankee Pot Roast, one of my favorite cold weather meals :)  Threw all the ingredients together in the crock pot last night, came home to a hot meal.  Just had to make the popovers.

CAM00199.jpg

That looks so yummy!

Mmm, comfort food.

• Like 2

A whole bunch of beautiful steamed asparagus,

a steamed sweet potato,

a big bowl of Onion Soup

from 4 big onions, a whole head of peeled garlic, a little chili pepper and a cup or so  of homemade chicken stock cooking in the crock-pot since last night.

I can't stop eating the onion/ajo soup onion mash that I mean to freeze for future secret ingredient.  There will be none to freeze.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So I've only ever made butternut squash before and I put it in a crockpot. Tonight, I decided to bake an acorn squash. I cut the squash in half and added chopped pecans, butter, a bit of brown sugar, and water to the middles. I also baked some turkey breasts in a bunch of herbs and garlic. I made a pepper salad with a homemade dressing. Steve called our meal "gourmet," lol.

10600553_10152640218063423_3438024345827

1507593_10152640218218423_43012107019793

• Like 1

Really looks great Leanna!

Thanksgiving in review....

This is my pumpkin pie early in the making....

20141126_102531.jpg

It was the first real pie that I ever made, however I have made turkey pot pies using the same crust recipe.
this is how it ended up...
20141127_092047.jpg

This is celery root.. I used it to make a celery root cream sauce with bacon and mushrooms that turned into a green bean casserole.
20141126_112636.jpg

Home made crispy topper for the grean bean casserole...
20141126_125143.jpg

and finally the best green bean casserole I ever tasted... I made 4 of these.
2014-11-27%2017.36.14.jpg

The turkey going into the oven... It is a 19 pound bird. I have removed all the bones except for the wing bones, even the legs are stuffed. I tie it together and use the long scewers to help it retake its shape, I use the vegetables around it to keep the turkey from touching the sides of the roasting pan.
20141127_085531.jpg

The stuffing could have been better, but not bad for a first try. I baked a loaf of gluten free bread and used a variety of shredded vegetables and some dried cranberries and apples to make the stuffing.... below are my ingredients...

20141126_104252.jpg

In the pic above the plastic bag is my bread mix, below is the bread baked. How can something that looks so good taste just ok??

20141126_152543.jpg

the Turkey was very good. my best one so far....

20141127_135244.jpg

So.. Whats for dinner tonight??? Leftovers again!! I would much rather be having pippa's chilli... lol

• Like 1

Tonight for dinner is " cook it and eat it before you have to throw it away night "

So I am using up the extra cream and milk to make mac and cheese... am also cooking off a half of ham that I did not want to freeze... not sure on a veggie yet but it has to be spinach and something.. lol

• Like 3

I have been relying way too much on convenience food the past week or two or three.  Back to basics tonight, grilled chicken, brown steamed rice and spinach sauteed with garlic, olive oil and dressed with freshly grated parmesan cheese.  

• Like 3