Wanting to Quit, Nervous, Help

Keya7989

Hi everyone. I want to quit and part of me wants to smoke. I want to be done smoking as it is not good for my health and I have loved ones I want to be here for and know smoking will reduce the ability to be my healthiest and be there for my loved ones. I want to quit on August 30. I have NRT patches and NRT lozenges. Regular gum for my car and purse. I stopped smoking in the car but that is about it. I am here to seek support. Are there also ways to chat with others in real time? Been looking for that type of community and forums like this. I appreciate any support.

• Like 5

Hi, Keya. You have come to the right place for support, welcome!  I am glad you want to quit. Ambivalence is natural, just don’t let it rob you of your opportunity to gain your health and freedom. Educate yourself as much as you can about this tenacious addiction, it will help you succeed. I quit with NRT patches and lozenges. They did help me over that initial hard hump, then I needed to break free of the nicotine once and for all. Each person has a different approach. Whatever your style, you’ll likely need a lot of distractions and soothing at the start, so start building your toolkit. You can do this, @Keya7989!

IMG_5437.JPG

• Like 7

Hello @Keya7989 welcome aboard, as mentioned learn/read as much as you can about this addiction and how to best go about quitting. I am still new here but suggest that you do not give up, lots of people try multiple times until they have success. 

Watch Joel's videos here on the train and maybe get a copy of Allen Carr's book the "Easy Way To Stop Smoking" made sense to me, others have mixed results. 

All the best in your quit! 

• Like 6

Welcome aboard @Keya7989 and congratulations on deciding go take your freedom back. I'm glad to see you're already building your toolkit of aids. I'd also suggest to have sweets to suck on. Most of us craved them when we first quit. I was hooked on those soft peppermint puffs my whole first year lol.

I also quit smoking in mg usual spots so it would help me not associate them with smoking once quit.

Make sure to check out all our different forums. We have everything from educating yourself about our addiction to Socializing with music and games. 

Unfortunately our chat box is down but you can always use pm's or create a new thread in socializing to use for chat 😊

• Like 6

People use all kinds of NRT products as well as other products to help with the initial  physical withdrawal symptoms and that's fine but in the end what matters the most is your commitment to quitting - your desire to learn about what smoking really is and all the lies we tell ourselves as smokers and your true desire to make that positive change in your lifestyle.

I guarantee you that once you've been quit for awhile, you'll never want to go back to that life of nicotine slavery. Smoking is such a waste of time, money and life itself!

• Like 7

Hello & Welcome @Keya7989!!! 
Sounds like you have a solid plan for your quit date of August 30th.  
Have you tried quitting before? 
If so, what were the biggest obstacles?

If not, please write down anticipated triggers & your solution to conquer them. 

Check in here often.  Everyday you don’t smoke will be celebrated. 

If you smoke- please own up to it. We’ll pick you back up, give you a kick in the ass and cheer you on. 

L4L

• Like 7

Hello and Welcome aboard...

You have already been given great advice ...I can only add ..check out our posts on the 

Main Smoking Message Board ,the ones pinned with green ....

You fight this monster with Knowledge ...Learn all you can ....

There is always someone here to help you along as Jillar has mentioned ....

Our brains can be our worst enemies ....thinking about it ...I found harder than actually doing it ...

Glad you found us ...be positive you can do it 🐸

• Like 3

Welcome to the Quit Train Keya.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

19 hours ago, Keya7989 said:

I want to quit and part of me wants to smoke. 

Might as well get comfortable with that.  Every quitter has dealt with the paradox of not wanting to be a smoker but wanting a cigarette.

The key is wanting to quit more than you want to smoke.  Commit to the quit.  Take smoking off the table...it is no longer an option.

Quitting is a challenge.  Quitting is also incredibly simple.  Don't put things in your mouth and light them on fire...one step and you're good to go.

Godspeed Keya.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Our brains can be our worst enemies ....thinking about it ...I found harder than actually doing it ...

This was the case with me as well.

I was so afraid thinking about trying to quit, it took me forever to actually get started and try to quit. 

• Like 3

A year after you quit you'll look back on your life as a smoker and wonder: 'what the hell was I thinkin'?

Once you stop smoking, you can begin to take off those smoky goggles and start looking at life the way it's meant to be, smoke-free!  It's incredible the lies we've all told ourselves as smokers. Time to find the truth Keya!

• Like 4

Be kind to yourself. Reward yourself often - especially in the beginning. I went to the dollar store and had little goody bags made up for myself for every 2 hours for the first few days (candy, cheezits, bubbles, fidgets, juice cans/boxes etc). I ended up not needing all of them but they're still there in the event of an emergency :) I also watched Joel Spitzer's videos many times (and still do). I basically treated myself like a toddler on a long car trip.

• Like 5