Question for the North Americans (Canada or USA)

notsmokinjo

If you are travelling from the USA to just over the Canadian boarder (yes she has a Visa) do you need to change your money from US$ to Canadian $ or can you just use the US dollars. 

Thanks heaps.

No its not me, or the kid... sorry to disappoint.... I know ya all totes devo that I'm not venturing to your shores.

Edited by notsmokinjo

I've heard some places will take U.S. dollars and I know I used to get Canadian quarters as payment for ice cream, they look so much like ours but if I had of noticed it I wouldn't have accepted it. I think because of the exchange rates your friend should plan on changing his U.S. bills at a proper exchange otherwise the places there that do take U.S. money can charge whatever exchange rate they want

• Thanks 1

Hey, @notsmokinjo! I live pretty far from Canadian border (have only been  to Canada twice.... 1. To see Niagara Falls from the Canadian side and visit Niagara-on-the-Lake (beautiful town!) 2. To see Toronto and go up into the CN Tower (scary when you step out onto the plexi glass floor!). We probably used credit cards as payment for whatever we did or purchased...as I don't remember going to a bank to exchange money! Strangely enough, I do have some Canadian paper money and always have Canadian quarters floating around here...😉

• Thanks 1

It's Canada.  All you really need is a hockey puck, a couple of albums by Rush, and a gift card from Tim Hortons.  

Seriously though...the last time I was in Canada, Banff National Park, I stayed a night in Longview, Alberta.  Rented a room, ordered a steak, and picked up a few supplies.  The folks in Longview accepted my currency without question.

I don't always have the answers, but I do provide anecdotal evidence.

No you don't have to but you will get ripped on the exchange rate by some vendors if you hand over US $$. I would have Canadian on hand if using cash money. Credit card well ... the bank behind it will handle the exchange and take a small piece. US $$ are accepted everywhere in Canada. It's just the exchange rate you will get that is the issue. Right now you should be getting minimum $1.30 Canadian for a Greenback. Any less, you're getting hosed!

10 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Thanks all. 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1