The Lows Become the Highs

Boo

"The lows become the highs."  I heard that line in a video I was watching last night about the Bob Graham Round, a fell running ultramarathon in England.  The quote is true of any challenge, including quitting smoking.

When I look back at the early days of my quit, it's not the anniversaries and milestones that are really emblazoned on my brain.  It is those moments of discomfort and struggle that I remember fondly now.  Distance and time allow me to laugh at those moments now, but in that moment, the easiest thing to do would have been simply to light up a cigarette and carry on with killing myself with smoking.

I chose to stay smokefree.  Even when that voice of addiction was screaming and thrashing about, I stayed true to my commitment.  What looked like the easy route was actually the most difficult.  Lighting up would have kept me on the same endless cycle of addiction, regret, and self loathing I was looking to escape.  Quitting, simply not smoking, seemed to be the difficult route at the time but turned out to be more rewarding than I could have imagined at the time.

Rarely is anything worth having attained without some effort.  The struggle you embrace today may turn out to be one of your greatest rewards.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

When something is fundamental there emerge a flood of quotes and expressions to capture that truth.  I like the axiom "The lows become the highs."   I have a quote under my ticker that evokes a similar sentiment.

New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.

Thanks for the wise words Boo.  Stick with it newbies.  You'll get to that point where the awful lows you feel initially will, in retrospect, become the badges of honor on your way to an amazing new life.

Edited by BKP
  • Like 8

Thanks for this.  I too do not look back at milestones during my quit, I also remember the difficult times along with the early struggles.  The only milestone I really remember is the 1 year mark since I was truly amazed that I made it that far.

My quote of late has been "With every challenge comes new opportunities", I have found great opportunities since quitting!!!!!

• Like 7

It always seemed impossible until I met all of you.   The addiction makes you feel as if it is impossible.  

Now, I feel like I have run the marathon but that you were all there to hold me up and help me cross the finish line.

The smoking is just a distant thought now.  I have the power to live life without it.  

Thank you💕

th (1).jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I feel very proud of all of you. I'm still at the hard stage so knowing you all stuck it out is awesome. 

Lilly, we are very proud of you.  You have come such a long way.  You are finally winning the battle.  You will get there.  

Edited by Linda Thomas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I feel very proud of all of you. I'm still at the hard stage so knowing you all stuck it out is awesome. 

The fact that we stuck it out is proof positive that you can do it too.

Quitting smoking does not require any superhuman abilities.  Anyone with a strong commitment can set themselves free.

Continue on with relentless forward progress and with time the hard stage your in today will become a distant memory.

• Like 4