Mona and Lilly ....

Thanks for asking Doreen.  Actually, I was doing well.  Then I ran into a problem, well not really, but it seemed like one from my junkie perspective.  I completed two days smoke free.  Then I had to get together with family.  It was something that came up spontaneously and I didn't have a good excuse to get out of it.  I was worried that I was going to be crabby with it being day 3 and I caved.  So, I am starting again.  I don't have to go anywhere for the next few days so I really have no excuse.  Also, I think I need to stay on the board for these first few difficult days instead of keeping to myself.

Edited by Mona

Hey Mona, glad you're back and have quit again. The first month is by far the hardest. But to insure a solid quit we recommend taking the One Year Pledge. It's a commitment to the board that you'll stay close for the next year to  help you past all the seasons and occasions that come up in a year, like family gatherings.

I was glued to the board my whole first year and it really helped get me through it.

20 hours ago, Lilly said:

I'm still not sure how I will be when the patches go. I've quit enough times to know they are doing the work. 

Thanks for checking in though Doreen x

I think you're giving more credit to the patches than they deserve.  You are doing most of the work.  The patches are just helping you out a little...

• Like 3

On 5/3/2019 at 1:31 AM, Lilly said:

I'm still not sure how I will be when the patches go. I've quit enough times to know they are doing the work. 

Thanks for checking in though Doreen x

Nope.  You're doing all the work, Lily. Great job.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@Damona Stress can be a very powerful negative thing, there's no denying that. In fact, it can be the most powerful trigger for ex-smokers to go back to smoking, but that's just my opinion. We have to be wary of triggers caused by stress. Look at the positive though, you are back to your quit. Take @Sazerac's advice above ^^. Stay close to the board and talk to the people here. They will help. Here's hoping that you can pull off your quit, all the best!!!

• Like 4

I also think stress is the primary reason for most relapses. The false belief that smoking relieves that stress is why so many light up again only to find, they feel like crap! Not only is their stress still there but they have just ruined their quit as well. We use smoking as an avoidance tool. Go have a smoke so we don't have to face the situation that is causing the stress. Smoking releases endorphins in the brain which gives us a temporary "good feeling". That's why we think smoking relieves stress - that temporary good feeling we get when we light up. Your stress is still there. The situation that caused the stress is still there. Plus, now you have another stress in your life. The stress that begins building as soon as you put out that smoke. Stress because you're an addict and you need that next fix. Break the cycle - just quit! 

• Like 3