Wonderful hobby of smoking

Boater

1 hour ago, Boater said:

I'm damn sure hope so I do not enjoy the roller coaster

No one does enjoy it...but it is worth it, I promise!!  Not having to worry all the time about when you can have your next smoke is liberating!  I had not watched a whole movie in a theatre for so long...or stayed at the table for a whole family dinner...or been able to concentrate through an hour long meeting...

• Like 2

I have stopped and started many times but I've never gotten where you were I never went out for a pack of cigarettes when I ran out if I was watching a movie I never got up to have a cigarette. Never stayed to a family dinner without a cigarette holy shit I feel bad for you I stop and start randomly 6 months 2 years random stopping and starting but it doesn't control my life I know I'm an addicted I just work around it. The things people told me on this site I'm Amazed by I never was that addicted I just hate the whole ball of Wax headaches eye vision bleeding gums tinnitus the whole thing when I stop. I wish you the best

that's why I call it the roller coaster

13 hours ago, Boater said:

it doesn't control my life I know I'm an addicted I just work around it.

Spoken like a true addict. Of course, it controls your life !  You can't be around smokers, you can't drink around smokers.

You adjust your life around it as every addict does. 

Once you honestly look at your addiction, I am sure you will find lots of other examples. 

Study up, Boater, knowledge is your ally. 

Addiction manifests itself in very individual ways to each individual.

You are not more addicted or less addicted than anyone.

You are an addict.  We are addicts.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 9:18 PM, Boater said:

I never was that addicted 

Boater, Boater, Boater,

You send up so many red flags that expose an ignorance of addiction or, a denial of your own addiction.

Learning and absorbing the facts of addiction really cements a quit and I hope you will take the time to educate yourself.

We are on your side.

S

Edited by Sazerac
educated to educate
  • Like 1

I just went to a bar 50 people smoking outside I don't care they have great food I had a few drinks Belgian beer 8% decided it was time to leave actually got a buzz from the second hand stroke everybody is not the same

this is simple addiction I'm not a weak person I know when the few weeks it'll be over psychologically not my problem it's physically my doctor said I'm basically the beginning of nicotine poison another 2 weeks I'll be back to normal and smoke free hopefully I won't do this again

I went to MIT I'm not a stupid person just addicted and you can overcome that right now I just got the headaches and feeling jittery my doctor gave me Atarax Hydrochlorothiazide hydrochloride 25 mg it's an antihistamine that works like Valium totally harmless stuff look it up you need to sleep the perfect drug for this sleeping 2 to 3 hours a day is not sufficient with the Atarax I sleep 8 hours a day starting to feel normal again drink lots of water cranberry juice all kinds of vitamins can you start feeling great

Feeling pretty good got my Atarax script filled at least I can sleep no longer a jittery zombie. I don't think about cigarettes I just can't believe I started again my tinnitus is gone starting to feel good how are you doing?

by the way thanks for asking

I am really glad you are able to sleep.

Sleep makes everything better.  

Extra bonus your tinnitus is gone, you must be having some joy to be rid of that.

Smokey thoughts may come and go but, thoughts are not demands and I'm glad you are not being shadowed by thoughts.

Freedom is so great.  To be free of smoking /not smoking thoughts is one of the major things I appreciate about being clean.

Congratulations on your choice and your eleventh/twelfth day.  

Hey, remember to reward yourself.

Make a specific point of rewarding yourself,

it helps to kick start your brain receptors functioning for you and your pleasure instead of serving nicotine and the addicts relief.

Thank you very much I don't really think about smoking in a group of people three of them was smoking having drinks that becomes a hard scenario I'm not around people when I work I'm an electrical design engineer basically we work alone which is a great advantage how are you doing with smoking?

You're welcome,  Boater.

I try to send things out that might be useful.

Your red flags certainly caught my attention, and I may have misread

but, I trust, you will take what you need and leave the rest.

As a smoker, I thought a lot about smoking (like every twenty minutes or so for forty+ years).

Then,  thinking about NOT smoking when I quit,  took up far too much of my time. 

I had to consciously, fiercely re-program my brain, that was the most intense part of quitting for me.

I have been gratefully quit for five years in October and I can't remember being seriously tempted to smoke for many years. 

Still, I remain vigilant because the mental slavery of addiction is insidiously horrible, not to mention the rest...

Your 12 days of quitting are important, congratulations.

Are you afloat yet ?

You had it much harder than I I don't really think about smoking but when I pass a car or a person that smokes it's the smell it becomes the trigger I stopped for years at a time then start for no real reason my boat is still on the hard the land waiting for parts it's a German company so they're sending over the parts but it'll take time it's a hylas 54 I miss my house I would normally be in the islands now dealing with Lloyd's of London the insurance company is no fun at all check out the boat you might find it interesting or not

Damn !  Hylas 54 is gorgeous.

I  just spent a bit of time learning about the designer, Germán Frers

and lusting over photographs of pretty, pretty yachts on the deep blue or anchored in clear turquoise water. 

Your home is beautiful.

You must be going berserk on land and little wonder you couldn't sleep ! Gah !

Well, smoking won't help anything, it'll just weigh you down.

It won't make the parts arrive any sooner and cannot assist you with the labyrinth of Lloyds. 

Hold on to your quit.  

I quit smoking the day I pulled the boat out of water going back to land you get land sick no movement so I might as well feel completely miserable. every 5 years or so they want to do a complete inspection Lloyd's of London every square inch in and out everything one $10 transmission seal is bad it's a nightmare to change $5,000 to change a $10 part and it will take 4 weeks German  transmission they never go bad this one did also I have to repaint the bottom 400 a gallon for paint such fun I have traveled over 220,000 miles on the ocean cross the Atlantic three times. smoking doesn't go over in my lifestyle time to stop. I paid Ipaid two girls they are detailing the interior solid teak wood with black leather they're complaining it will take time to clean up the mess from the smoking when I was changing the air filters they were yellow from the cigarettes that's enough time to stop

• Like 1

Smoking/Addiction doesn't go with any lifestyle.  It is a burden.

I am glad you quit.  Let us know if anything stumps you, we have lots of tricks among us.

You mentioned that fresh smoke is a trigger, I am glad fresh smoke is repugnant to me now,  it may turn sour for you too, with some time.

What is your port during hurricane season ? Last year was so gnarly in the islands.

I just read El Faro's last log in the eye of hurricane Joaquin.  Chilling and  regrettable.

I'm big enough and fast enough to outrun it I don't care about hurricanes if I'm at a great Marina that was built for hurricanes that's fine also if it's going to be bad my main freezer can hold 600 lb I have three refrigerators ice makers and enough fuel to cross the Atlantic and I make my own water 2 years ago whatever it was went shopping $4,000 for food canned goods whatever I don't care. Omaha beef great for boats vacuum packed Dungeness crab and Omaha beef makes a good combination I actually could say out for months. I can go New York to Bermuda in 3 days 15 hours as I said I cannot run it don't care I'm like the Navy I run away from it.

• Like 1

main engine runs on diesel also two generators have 16 batteries these are not car batteries it would take five car batteries to make one of mine everything runs on electric central air conditioning Central Heating have to keep the refrigerators and freezers happy I cannot be without ice cubes there may be a hurricane coming but I'm still going to make margaritas.